The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   FAQ Truck Tech (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   A cool little trick for running wiring in tough places (My hillbilly youtube clip) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=448124)

Tx Firefighter 02-20-2011 09:02 PM

A cool little trick for running wiring in tough places (My hillbilly youtube clip)

I was mounting the cab lights on my yet to be revealed project truck today. The hardest part of the job and the part I've been dreading the most is running the power wire from the cab roof down to A pillar to the dash area.

My buddy was over here at Hillbilly Headquarters visiting and told me a little trick to make it easy. It worked so well I had to have my wife video it.

Coolest thing I did all week.

67HEAVEN 02-20-2011 09:16 PM

Re: A cool little trick for running wiring in tough places (My hillbilly youtube clip

Well done, and thanks for the video.

slomotion 02-20-2011 09:17 PM

Re: A cool little trick for running wiring in tough places (My hillbilly youtube clip

NOW you show me this! :)

VA72C10 02-20-2011 09:25 PM

thanks for that! Great idea....kinda like fishing for wires but the compressed air is the genius part!!!

72BlckButy 02-20-2011 09:34 PM

FAQ worthy right here... uh-hm.

rwolf9653 02-20-2011 09:39 PM

Nice trick, nice video. That will save me a lot of time in the not to distant future. :c2:

heeroyue2002 02-20-2011 09:54 PM

nice how to. i normally tie the wires to a slender metal wire but this should work easier.

Pop's C-10 02-20-2011 10:27 PM

That is trick

71swb4x4 02-20-2011 10:30 PM

You couldn't find a better looking model?

Big Port Jimmy 6 02-20-2011 11:05 PM

Shop Vac and a piece of tape knotted in the string will work also

BLAZERMAN 02-20-2011 11:18 PM

Thats Wild! who woulda thought??...cant wait to use that trick. I'm one of those that have spent hours fishing cab light wires!

bigblock73 02-20-2011 11:24 PM

Cool tip Kevin, thanks for taking the time to tape and share it. I have fished wires using a string like that, but now with compressed air. :)

dammitmitchell 02-21-2011 01:01 AM

pullin electrical back in the day we used shop vacs.. you could string a hole in a matter on minutes.. were talklin several hundred feet.

dammitmitchell 02-21-2011 01:01 AM

p.s. when are you guys hosting another BBQ out there?

Tx Firefighter 02-21-2011 09:34 AM

Justin, we are all going to be big Decatur swap meet this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

special-K 02-21-2011 10:12 AM

That's slicker'n snot,thanks! It was so long ago the last time I did that I'm not sure what I did. I must have gotten lucky cuz I don't remember it being a pain at all. Always nice to know a sure-fire way to avoid aggravation,though.

7T2 02-21-2011 10:33 AM

You forgot the part about how you have to take the entire freaking dash out.... :)

I kid, I kid...

dave2953 02-21-2011 11:33 AM

That is awesome!

Palf70Step 02-21-2011 12:33 PM

Nice trick. Heck of a lot easier than the coat hanger deal!

lil hoodlum 02-21-2011 06:48 PM

That is pretty good!

I like to use an actual fishing pole with just a small weight attatched to the line. Insert fishing pole in to hole and drop the weight. I used the same technique when I ran the wire for the cab light over the rear window.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to make a video and posting it.

Keith

PanelDeland 02-21-2011 07:36 PM

I've seen them run heavy twine,then rope and wire in underground conduit.I worked in an area where they were doing it for about3 months.Theused one of the big IR trailer compressors.I still never would have thought of that.

Next time let the wife run the wire and you run the camera.

Sillyoldman 02-21-2011 10:29 PM

I like it.

CG 02-22-2011 01:41 AM

Neat trick. I have a couple of sets of cab lights I may use one day, Ill have to file this one away.

On another note...Every time I see the real you it kind of throws me a little. Im so used to your av pic I tend to associate it with the real you.

heeroyue2002 02-22-2011 02:26 AM

lol i thought the guy in the avatar was him

Altec 02-22-2011 03:21 AM

Might I make one suggestion? Being a fellow failure at knots, I find that electrical tape is the way to go when running wires. Easier to secure, and if you tape it smooth it leaves extremely little to snag on the trip through the body.

Great video!