The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1987 K5 Sierra Classic (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753936)

Mr Bear 01-02-2018 10:49 AM

1987 K5 Sierra Classic

https://i.imgur.com/jPi8U8t.jpg

Scored this one owner. Great shape, 87k original miles. 5.7L

Bringing it up to daily driver reliability so just going through the standard checks and services.

So far, new radiator/thermostat/coolant temp sensor and temp sender.

Rebuilt the TBI with new injectors, 1/4" injector spacer, 14 lb spring and all new gaskets.

Tuned it with new cap, rotor, coil and plugs. Base timing was 10 atdc so reset it to 0/tdc with the dizzy unplugged.

Serviced the axles. Both are open diff, no locker. Front was a bit like coffee with cream but 4wd works and no worries. all the brakes are new.

Pretty much eliminated the steering problem. First and foremost, removed the ridiculous oversized 32x11.50x15 Goodrich's and went back to stock size. Now the speedo is correct. Went through the suspension replacing worn tie rod ends, drag link and steering box. Swapped rag joint for borgeson extreme duty double u joint intermediate shaft. Aligned it and added extra 1/8" toe. Still want to replace the front springs and shackles and sway bar mounts but its a pleasure to drive now. Tramlining is all but eliminated.

It has new stainless dual exhaust with obnoxious magnaflow mufflers. They just have to come off soon. I can't hear myself think.

Future plans include servicing the transmission and transfer case and most likely ditching the hard top with its sliding windows for a soft top.

68Timber 01-02-2018 12:08 PM

Re: 1987 K5 Sierra Classic

Good looking survivor. Congrats on the purchase.

Keith Seymore 01-02-2018 01:41 PM

Very nice -

Quote:

Pretty much eliminated the steering problem. First and foremost, removed the ridiculous oversized 32x11.50x15 Goodrich's and went back to stock size. Now the speedo is correct. Went through the suspension replacing worn tie rod ends, drag link and steering box. Swapped rag joint for borgeson extreme duty double u joint intermediate shaft. Aligned it and added extra 1/8" toe. Still want to replace the front springs and shackles and sway bar mounts but its a pleasure to drive now. Tramlining is all but eliminated.
There are a couple more easy things you can do:

I can't tell from the photo but if you have the two leaf front spring pack you can upgrade to the three leaf front spring; that will tighten up the front end a bit and minimize the axle windup associated with braking (which will help it to stop straighter and/or minimize feedback into the steering wheel).

Also - run as much caster as you can stomach: like 10 degrees or so. That will help with on-center stability in a straight line.

K

Mr Bear 01-03-2018 09:47 AM

Yes, this has the double leaf front springs rated at 1200 lbs each. I was planning to replace with the 3 leaf stack (1400 lb rated per spring) from general spring I think ($80 each) and urethane sway bar bushings. Will need new u bolts as I believe the 3 leaf stack is another 7/16" thicker. Spring projects I think as i'll need to acquire heavy duty jack stands and such. I see the factory spec for caster is 8+1 so if I add shims it wont be more than 2 degrees. will probably just try spring set and bushings first.

Mr Bear 01-03-2018 12:12 PM

since I'm pretty sure ill be converting to soft top in the spring, what is the opinion on sales price for a double wall top in great shape with original sliding vent windows? I don't think id mess with shipping, too big and heavy. just curious and not a sale thread here, I havn't removed the hard top, nor bought a soft top. ill purchase membership and post a sale ad when the time comes.....like I said, just curious on value.

68Timber 01-03-2018 03:52 PM

The top is a curious item since they're still around. I see them for sale in the $150 to $250 range for used/average condition but I have no idea what they eventually sell for. If yours is still in good original condition you might do better.

Mr Bear 01-04-2018 09:34 AM

yep. been seeing the early ones in terrible shape for 200 or so. a few double wall in fair shape but no glass or frames for 600 and up. shipping would be a killer.....bulky as they are, i'd suspect them to arrive cracked or broken. mine is excellent. but.....I'll wait for spring and decide then.