The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   T5 5th/reverse problems (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=732871)

jcramsey 03-15-2017 04:38 PM

T5 5th/reverse problems

4 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a T5 for pretty cheap and trying to get it all sorted out. Pulled the cover off and all the gears look to be in good shape and the sliders operate as they should. The interlock plate was in two pieces in the bottom of the case so I bought a new one of those. Put it all back together and it works properly between 1st-4th gears, but the shifter wouldn't budge for 5th/reverse. Pulled everything back apart and tried to engage the 5th/reverse lever manually and it is not working right. All the parts look to be there, but it gets in a bind when you try to move it. I can reach down and slide the idler gear fork over and get it to engage properly, but just moving the lever will not work. :confused:

chevyguyase 03-16-2017 02:30 AM

Re: T5 5th/reverse problems

I have a hard time with your description of the problem and I don't recognize the part in your hand. I've had a lot of these apart back in the day though. I'm assuming all the gears mesh with the cover off? Can you shift to 5th and reverse using the linkage that is in the trans now with the cover off? If you can't the problem is in that linkage set up. If every thing shifts with cover off the problem should be in the cover and linkage in the cover. I've found that the roll pins that secure the shift rods to the forks can shear off but look good. you can try to run a fine wire through them or shine a light through them. If they shear off, the linkage will be out of time and lock up the linkage. check all of the roll pins including the ones in the linkage in the case. Did you have 5th gear apart? Keep us posted if this doesn't help

jcramsey 03-16-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyguyase (Post 7887456)
I have a hard time with your description of the problem and I don't recognize the part in your hand. I've had a lot of these apart back in the day though. I'm assuming all the gears mesh with the cover off? Can you shift to 5th and reverse using the linkage that is in the trans now with the cover off? If you can't the problem is in that linkage set up. If every thing shifts with cover off the problem should be in the cover and linkage in the cover. I've found that the roll pins that secure the shift rods to the forks can shear off but look good. you can try to run a fine wire through them or shine a light through them. If they shear off, the linkage will be out of time and lock up the linkage. check all of the roll pins including the ones in the linkage in the case. Did you have 5th gear apart? Keep us posted if this doesn't help

Sorry for the confusion! All of the gears mesh with the cover off. They turn freely and smoothly and the 1-2 & 3-4 sliders move like they should. With the cover off it is very hard to shift into 5th/reverse with the lever that is in the case. 5th is somewhat doable but reverse is nearly impossible unless I use a second hand and slide the idler gear over as I push the lever forward. You could be right about the roll pins throwing the linkage off.

I have never had 5th gear apart, but cannot say the previous owner didn't mess with it.

61K10 03-16-2017 02:03 PM

In your last pic it looks like the teeth are chewed up on the s/collar and the gear? might be just the pic.

jcramsey 03-16-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61K10 (Post 7888347)
In your last pic it looks like the teeth are chewed up on the s/collar and the gear? might be just the pic.

Its just the pic...I went and checked to make sure!

Lugnutz65 03-16-2017 09:00 PM

I'm guessing it's how the lid was put back on. That's not meant to be an insult. You might do it better than me, but that's the only thing that makes any sense.

chevyguyase 03-17-2017 01:44 AM

Is the piece in your hand out of the top cover? Did you account for all of it or maybe there is piece of it in the bottom of the case. I wonder if you could remove the roll pin from 5th gear shift fork and sneak the shift fork off the shift rail and see if that frees up the 5th/reverse shifter rail. You would then know if it was the 5th gear assembly causing the problem. I guess you have checked the roll pins already, also check the reverse light switch for interference.

jcramsey 03-17-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7888663)
I'm guessing it's how the lid was put back on. That's not meant to be an insult. You might do it better than me, but that's the only thing that makes any sense.

No offense taken! Its a tricky little sucker, and I'm making my best guess based on the manual/what I've read online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyguyase (Post 7888833)
Is the piece in your hand out of the top cover? Did you account for all of it or maybe there is piece of it in the bottom of the case. I wonder if you could remove the roll pin from 5th gear shift fork and sneak the shift fork off the shift rail and see if that frees up the 5th/reverse shifter rail. You would then know if it was the 5th gear assembly causing the problem. I guess you have checked the roll pins already, also check the reverse light switch for interference.

Yea the piece in my hand is from the top cover. It made a clean break into two pieces and I didn't find any more in the case. I haven't messed with taking the roll pin out yet to check, but that's a good idea. I think I will check the reverse light switch and then work on seeing if it works after unhooking from the shift fork.

Now all I need is some free time to do it......:waah::lol: