The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Were did you find you build sheet? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818470)

wazzabie 02-15-2021 07:07 PM

Were did you find you build sheet?

I read some have found them under the seat. Do I need to remove the seat cover to find it?

Keith Seymore 02-15-2021 08:03 PM

Re: Were did you find you build sheet?

No.

If there is one in the seat it would normally be between the springs and the foam.

K

TKCR 02-15-2021 08:43 PM

I have removed and stripped hundreds of seats, I haven’t found one yet.

ACS 02-15-2021 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine was under the seat as Keith described- Passenger side.

Attachment 2082292

Dead Parrot 02-15-2021 11:10 PM

Didn't find one for my 75 C10. Did find one under the passenger seat in my 79 Camaro.

wazzabie 02-16-2021 05:06 AM

I have the decal with the rpo options in the glove box. Would I still have had the paper build sheet under the seat?

4u2nv 02-16-2021 07:25 AM

some cars they put them under the carpet , don't know about trucks

TKCR 02-16-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzabie (Post 8880956)
I have the decal with the rpo options in the glove box. Would I still have had the paper build sheet under the seat?

The RPO sticker in the glove box, doesn’t have anything to do of wether the build sheet is under the seat or not. Every truck got a RPO sticker, they were placed in different locations, depending on the manufacturing plant. Some went in the glove box, but some were placed on the wheel well, in the engine room.
The build sheet was only meant for the production line workers. It told them what parts and/or colors of parts that went on that specific vehicle as it passed their work station. They were never really meant to stay with the vehicle permanently.
When I worked at an assembly plant, most of the build sheets left with the vehicle. Some dealers would throw those away after they got the vehicle on the lot. And if it was still in the vehicle, most people would throw it out, because it’s gibberish to them lol. I restore seats for our trucks, and I have stripped lots and lots of them completely down. I even pull seats from junk yards & pic n pulls. I have not ever found 1. So it would be rare if they are still there after all these years.

Palf70Step 02-16-2021 12:17 PM

Not sure what year they switched, but my 81's RPO was on the drivers side inner fender, as was the 84 replacement inner fender had it there. Not sure how long they did that before they went to putting the RPOs back in glove box. In all my stuff I have never found a build sheet in the seat or anywhere.

wazzabie 02-16-2021 01:22 PM

All that I found under the carpet was a bolt. The bolt was in like new condition. The assembly line worker just left it when it was dropped.

72c20customcamper 02-16-2021 03:08 PM

Build sheets got tucked everywhere . Inside doors on top of gas tanks under the carpet in the seats I found two on my chevelle one under the drivers seat and one stuck to the tank .

Haven't found any on my 77 or 85 . My 72 was under the seat

wazzabie 02-16-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACS (Post 8880871)

Attachment 2082292

What year is yours?

Keith Seymore 02-16-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACS (Post 8880871)

Attachment 2082292

Kinda funny that it was built in Baltimore for a dealer in St Catherines (rather than being built In Oshawa).

K

ACS 02-16-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzabie (Post 8881239)
What year is yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8881265)
Kinda funny that it was built in Baltimore for a dealer in St Catherines (rather than being built In Oshawa).

K

Yeah. It is amusing. The engine was built here, shipped to Baltimore and then the truck came back to the local dealer.

wazzabie 02-17-2021 01:20 AM

Were these invoices standardized?

https://mfpclassiccars.com/img/f/s/s...y-k5-4x2-3.jpg

Keith Seymore 02-17-2021 08:50 AM

It varied based on the dealership.

Just like the receipt from Home Depot looks different than a receipt from Mennards.

K

TKCR 02-17-2021 10:16 AM

Yeah, those are just Dealership invoices. Each Dealership would have its own system on how they print these out. Just like Keith said, receipts will look different from one store to the other. Similar, but different.

hatzie 02-17-2021 07:52 PM

I've pulled four build sheets out of the seat springs. My 76 had a 1979 or 80 sheet in the seat springs. I've also found nothing in several rigs.

v30crewcab 02-17-2021 10:53 PM

buddy just found one in his 79 or 80 crewcab. under one of the seats.

Corts60 02-19-2021 07:04 PM

My '78 Silverado diesel was between the springs and foam in the seat.

Wgesnerjr 02-20-2021 08:42 AM

In 2nd gen firebird, I've found them between the springs and the foam on the rear seat backs. My question is why the build sheet is in the seat? If the sheet did follow the vehicle down the assembly line, wouldn't it be needed after the seat was installed? Or was the seat the last piece to be installed? Just wondering?

57NAPCO 02-20-2021 09:07 AM

Have never found one but I’m not givin’ up

Keith Seymore 02-20-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8882897)
My question is why the build sheet is in the seat? If the sheet did follow the vehicle down the assembly line, wouldn't it be needed after the seat was installed? Or was the seat the last piece to be installed? Just wondering?

Any area where components were built up remotely and then conveyed to the main line in sequence are fair game for build sheets and build sequence number notations: front and rear axle, engines, transmissions, seats, front end sheetmetal, tire/wheel assemblies, etc. These are all areas with a lot of proliferation, and therefore not easy to present the material lineside, or - in the case of the seat cushions - a fire hazard (the "cushion room" was always way out in the boonies as a result). The build sheet defined the component that was to be installed, by part number or broadcast code, especially for option driven content where there was some choice as to what part was to be installed, or a remote area where there were no visual clues as to what part should be installed. So - theoretically - you would be able to find a build sheet on the motor somewhere, or above the fuel tank, or anywhere a build sheet was used.

They were intended to be thrown away at the end of the line just like extra fasteners, coffee cups, love notes, lunch menus, betting slips and other misc papers. The fact is that it was just easier to leave them in place and build the vehicle up around them, which is why you find them in the seat springs, under the carpet (with tar sprayed over half of them, or a screw shot through the middle), behind A pillar trim, in the dash, above the headliner, behind the door trim panel, or stuffed in obscure corners of body panels.

I don't imagine there were many takers willing to crawl in the truck and pull that build sheet out from under the seat in order to throw it away, 480 times per shift.

K

Keith Seymore 02-20-2021 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the only one I've ever found: above the fuel tank on my 5000 mile '65 GTO (built in Pontiac Michigan, September of 1964).

K

Factory Guy 02-21-2021 05:20 PM

Mine was in the file folder I got from my Dad as he saved it!