The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   aluminum radiators... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754619)

PowerdbyChevy79 01-12-2018 10:33 AM

aluminum radiators...

whats up guys.. wanted to see what aluminum radiators yall are using.. I have been using Champion for awhile.. had no issues.. just was thinking of going another route..

HunterRotten 01-12-2018 12:29 PM

Re: aluminum radiators...

I can't say much as I haven't used mine yet but I have a mishimoto aluminum radiator for a big block truck. It has a lifetime warranty, even if I'm in an accident I believe. If it breaks once I'm already ahead of everyone else buying another radiator. $320 or so I believe on summit.

Southcity 01-12-2018 12:51 PM

Vehicle had a Griffin in it when purchased 4 years ago, running a 454 and it has worked flawlessly so far. If Champion has worked for you all this time and you're happy with them why change?

MikeB 01-12-2018 03:00 PM

I'm running an OE-replacement Murray aluminum rad in my 82 C10 with a 350. It works great in hot Texas summers, cost around $130, and has a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They make 3 sizes for our trucks, and mine is the smallest.

Tom 01-12-2018 03:29 PM

Good luck getting that aluminum radiator repaired in town when you need it on a road trip or something.
$150 lifetime warranty 4core from autozone will cool anything you got, has the warranty when you have the time to use it and can be repaired anywhere when you dont....

MikeB 01-12-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 8158883)
$150 lifetime warranty 4core from autozone will cool anything you got, has the warranty when you have the time to use it and can be repaired anywhere when you don't....

Sounds like a good deal. However, all my daily drivers since 1999 have had aluminum radiators with plastic tanks, and I've never had a problem with any of them.

100%Chevy 01-12-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 8158883)
Good luck getting that aluminum radiator repaired in town when you need it on a road trip or something.
$150 lifetime warranty 4core from autozone will cool anything you got, has the warranty when you have the time to use it and can be repaired anywhere when you dont....

That's the exact same radiator I tried to buy from AutoZone about a month ago!
They do not sell this radiator in copper and brass as advertised on their website!Although they said they have it,they sent me the aluminum equivalent.
They did offer me my money back and apologized for the problem!
Mike.:chevy:

Puke160 01-13-2018 10:04 PM

I'm running a Be Cool in my 79 k25. It cools the 427 tall deck in it great even with a 15,000 pound goose neck behide the truck. Even on 100 degree days. They are expensive though, I gave 700 for mine through Summit. But it was the only radiator I could find with tanks large enough for the larger inlet and outlet to be welded in.

obijuan 01-13-2018 10:41 PM

I've got the be cool direct fit cooling my big block. Exceptional performance.

SparkyRnD 01-20-2018 01:00 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617025

We make bolt-in custom / conversion radiators for your application, right here in the USA using domestically sourced materials. Each radiator is built by hand and we use dual 1" thick cores, for a total core thickness of 2" (same overall thickness as a brass & copper 4-core).

We NEVER charge extra for engine swap port locations, steam ports or built-in transmission coolers.

We are a Gold Vendor and support this forum, and offer a forum-member discount ($25 off a radiator / $20 off fan & shroud package). Retail price is $470, and members of this forum get a discounted price of $450.

Hit me up with any questions or for a quote.

PowerdbyChevy79 01-23-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkyRnD (Post 8165737)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617025

We make bolt-in custom / conversion radiators for your application, right here in the USA using domestically sourced materials. Each radiator is built by hand and we use dual 1" thick cores, for a total core thickness of 2" (same overall thickness as a brass & copper 4-core).

We NEVER charge extra for engine swap port locations, steam ports or built-in transmission coolers.

We are a Gold Vendor and support this forum, and offer a forum-member discount ($25 off a radiator / $20 off fan & shroud package). Retail price is $470, and members of this forum get a discounted price of $450.

Hit me up with any questions or for a quote.

what fans do you use with your kikts, whats the cfm on them...thx for the info.

stacey_65 01-23-2018 02:51 PM

I have an Autorad radiator made for my c10. With a custom fan shroud set up with dual fans. Love it.

zero6-dc 01-23-2018 03:12 PM

I'd like to see some pictures of the radiator, cooling fan(s) and shroud setup. I am trying to find a suitable aluminum unit in either a 2 or 3 row configuration.
Thanks

Cadillac Kid 01-23-2018 05:59 PM

I got my aluminum radiator from speedcooling.com

Very pleased. It was reasonbly priced, and it fit with no modifications.

lolife99 01-23-2018 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone using these Cold Case radiators?
http://coldcaseradiators.com/chevy/gmc-truck/

They even sell an LS version,...

SparkyRnD 01-25-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 8168286)
what fans do you use with your kikts, whats the cfm on them...thx for the info.

We have several brands we use depending on application. We have a black-label fan made for us for regular applications, and for higher power / towing / warmer climates, we use Spal or Derale fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero6-dc (Post 8168317)
I'd like to see some pictures of the radiator, cooling fan(s) and shroud setup. I am trying to find a suitable aluminum unit in either a 2 or 3 row configuration.
Thanks

http://www.rndfabrication.com/images/C10-Late1.jpg

For the fan and shroud, we use a flat style shroud to keep them compact.

tucsonjwt 01-26-2018 10:45 PM

I have a Spectra plastic/aluminum radiator from Autozone. Works fine in my 454 C20 in HotZona 100+ degree heat. Got it with 20% off and free delivery to my door for about $100. I think unless you have a high horsepower engine the regular Spectra is fine. I think it is a 3 row direct fit but the radiator is fairly thick in my estimation. My previous copper/brass radiators would not hold up in the heat. I am a plastic/aluminum fan now.

stacey_65 01-29-2018 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my radiator from autorad the day i picked it up. Great quality thicker aluminum than most I have seen. This radiator was surprisingly heavy. So I know it is made right. Fully tig welded all the way around NO epoxy at all. With a custom fan and shroud with maridyne fans. rated at 800hp. It has two one inch cores.

zero6-dc 01-30-2018 09:53 PM

I appreciate the responses to my questions,
regarding the overall thickness or depth of the radiator and fan assembly, I believe I saw a reference in one of the posts about the coils being about 1" thickness and that two together would be about the thickness of a full copper/brass radiator. Is that accurate? My issue is that I have only 5 inches clearance between the water pump pulley and my current radiator ( full 4-row heavy duty). Oh Yeah, and that is without cooling fans
I was hoping to find a unit radiator and fans to occupy roughly the same space with the cooling fans included.

BTW my truck is a 79 Scottsdale stepper with 502 RamJet and a Vintage Air accessory drive system.

Thank you again for your attention.

Tony

tucsonjwt 02-02-2018 07:41 PM

It sounds like you have a lot of money invested in your high horsepower setup, so I can see why you would want a high cooling capacity radiator. If you just want to keep the engine cool then I would think a stock Spectra radiator would get the job done. You could always swap it out for a better one if it did not work. I am not sure if that Ram Jet requires a minimum temperature to operate properly like modern engines.

zero6-dc 02-03-2018 04:20 PM

hello and thank you for your response, I have had this engine since early 2000. I am not aware of any max/min. temperature requirement as yet. That might change as I get deeper into the fine tuning. Until recently the engine has operated on the crate included ecm.
This may all end up as overkill as I feel my way around the Holley HP efi. I am way over my head as I fit the new bits together and begin the tuning phase.

I will check with some of the vendors I see here and see if I can find something that fits.

Thank you again for your attention.

Tony