The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   worth keeping orignal engine parts after rebuild? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754724)

bautino95 01-13-2018 04:48 PM

worth keeping orignal engine parts after rebuild?

I rebuilt my original 402 last summer and held on to all the old parts. Are they worth holding on to for resale if I ever decide to sell the truck? I'm talking about things like the oil pump, balancer, rockers, intake manifold ect... I'm really close to tossing them as I dont have endless room to store the stuff. so what do you think? thanks

Gromit 01-13-2018 06:36 PM

Re: worth keeping orignal engine parts after rebuild?

Certainly an OEM balancer and either OEM cast iron or Edelbrock manifold should have some value if not damaged.. I'm guessing not the oil pump. I would suggest taking a few photos of your parts and posting them on this forum in the for sale section - also maybe on craigslist - the ad is there for a week for free and after a couple weeks you would at least know if the prices you asked are high or low.

GASoline71 01-13-2018 06:38 PM

No real value at all if you ask me. The balancer probably has brittle rubber between the hub and inertia ring. Cast intakes are boat anchors, and stamped rockers are a dime a dozen. I'd never reuse an oil pump... they're still cheap enough to replace easily.

Gary

jocko 01-13-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bautino95 (Post 8159715)
I rebuilt my original 402 last summer and held on to all the old parts. Are they worth holding on to for resale if I ever decide to sell the truck? I'm talking about things like the oil pump, balancer, rockers, intake manifold ect... I'm really close to tossing them as I dont have endless room to store the stuff. so what do you think? thanks

personally, I'd hang onto things that can't be worn out with use or degrade with time on a shelf - I'd pitch the oil pump and balancer (unless the rubber still looks good - probably not though, as mentioned above), most of the rockers, etc. I'd hang onto the manifold, a few rockers in case a new one galls, any carbs or carb parts, exh manifolds, etc. Someone restoring a big block would probably love to have the intake since so many people tossed the originals over the years. At a minimum, you could offer em up on the board for free pickup and it will save you a trip to the dump. Pistons make good ash trays and distributor caps make excellent pencil holders. It holds 9!

bautino95 01-13-2018 07:22 PM

thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering since it was all original stuff and I know that the hardcore restorers want all that number matching stuff.

ho70 01-13-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8159813)
personally, I'd hang onto things that can't be worn out with use or degrade with time on a shelf - I'd pitch the oil pump and balancer (unless the rubber still looks good - probably not though, as mentioned above), most of the rockers, etc. I'd hang onto the manifold, a few rockers in case a new one galls, any carbs or carb parts, exh manifolds, etc. Someone restoring a big block would probably love to have the intake since so many people tossed the originals over the years. At a minimum, you could offer em up on the board for free pickup and it will save you a trip to the dump. Pistons make good ash trays and distributor caps make excellent pencil holders. It holds 9!

I agree with holding onto carb, air cleaners, manifolds (intake and exhaust). Even if they have no value to you, someone out there is looking to have a stock vehicle somewhere and once they are gone, they are gone

In The Ten Ring 01-13-2018 10:04 PM

Hang onto it BUT be sure to label it!

GASoline71 01-13-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bautino95 (Post 8159821)
thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering since it was all original stuff and I know that the hardcore restorers want all that number matching stuff.

For Corvettes yes... but...

:)

Gary

LockDoc 01-14-2018 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromit (Post 8159789)
Certainly an OEM balancer and either OEM cast iron or Edelbrock manifold should have some value if not damaged.. I'm guessing not the oil pump. I would suggest taking a few photos of your parts and posting them on this forum in the for sale section - also maybe on craigslist - the ad is there for a week for free and after a couple weeks you would at least know if the prices you asked are high or low.

He can't post for sale items on here unless his name is in Blue.....

LockDoc

special-K 01-14-2018 09:21 AM

Every OEM part has a use to someone. May not bring big money or hop off the classified pages, but if I gave up on selling I would give them away before tossing. No money in that either.

mike16 01-14-2018 08:31 PM

sell it. and remember if you were going to chuck it then price it accordingly so that the buyer can maybe break even after paying the shipping. to somebody somewhere its important. pass it on

toolboxchev 01-14-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 8160004)
For Corvettes yes... but...

:)

Gary

Every body says that now, since you do not have room. 2 decades later when someone decides to buy it from you with all the parts.

You will miss them if they are not a wear item.