The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=711445)

UGAK5 07-04-2016 08:51 AM

1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

5 Attachment(s)
Long time lurker - first time poster!

So, I decided in April to buy a 1972 Blazer CST that was someone else's project. They were 6 years into the project, its in pieces, and they had bought tons of parts (mostly trim, interior, bumpers, etc.) but had run out of passion, money and interest. I joking tell people I bought a brand new 1972 blazer - some assembly required.....

I am not building a lifted offroader or a show vehicle. I am building a mild lift (3 or 4 inches) pavement pounder, mostly stock as a fun spring/summer vehicle. I will reuse the TH350 and NP205 (after a rebuild) and haven't decided about the stock 350 engine (stock except double hump heads).

I know the price of admission - - PICS - - so they are included.

After getting the motor, tranny, transfer case, drivelines, fuel cell and a EVERYTHING off the firewall, i separated the body and frame alone in my driveway.....quite the sphincter clencher.... PICS of that included too (not the sphincter)!

So, this week the body goes to blasting, then to my body guy for the cold hard truth - I already see some garbage repairs around the rockers and rot around the rear wheel wells. Sheet metal purchases are in my future.

Also, since I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I am taking the frame to a different body shop and having it checked out. I figure why not. Its easy to take over there and just a few hundred dollars for the confidence in knowing its true before I start to rebuild everything upon it.

So - here is what I need from you guys (just the first of many things I am sure):

1) What suggestions/advice/things should I look at and/or modify on the frame before I have it blasted and painted? I know a steering box brace is a good idea (moreso on Gen 2s), but what else - knowing it'll be a small block going back in.

2) Since I need doors (I have the originals, but they are rusted on the bottom, been poorly fiberglassed and have speaker cutouts in them - would cost more to fix than replace) and other body pieces and parts, who is the best OEM quality supplier of those? I would rather pay more for the higher quality part than pay more for labor with fitment issues.

I really appreciate any wisdom you can offer - Thanks in advance!

4oldcars 07-04-2016 09:49 AM

Re: 1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

No visible bracing in the door openings. There may be a day you'll regret that.

jaros44sr 07-04-2016 12:45 PM

nice start and welcome to the boards....

every bracket I took off my frame had rust behind it
bought my doors from tri-pro, make sure you check shipping charges, carrier tried to charge me 600.00

make sure your doors fit BEFORE any cutting, as said above. do you have a hardtop for it

UGAK5 07-04-2016 01:34 PM

Thank you both for the responses 4oldcars and jaros44sr

I did test out bracing the door opening and it was super rigid (PO replaced the torsion boxes under the rockers with all new metal), nothing really made it shift. So, I lifted it carefully without them. The dolly I put the body on it shimmed to mate up and support the body well - - much better than the POS body mounts I found rotted away under it!

Maybe I will regret it - time will tell. I already have a few regrets on this project, so a few more won't kill me. Chances are I will be taking these back off and putting them on properly -- crap welds.

jaros44sr - I googled tri-pro, looks like they are out of business - any other recommendations? I do have the hard top, but again, the PO bondo'ed the top of the rear panels, so there were no holes left to attach it to.......funny how all POs are hacks and all current owners are geniuses!

Also, I found the frame dimensions for a 1971 4x4 - does anyone know where I can get them for the 1972? I went page by page through my 'Assembly Guide' but couldn't locate anything. Would like to have some to take to the body shop with me this week.

jaros44sr 07-04-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7643327)
Thank you both for the responses 4oldcars and jaros44sr

I did test out bracing the door opening and it was super rigid (PO replaced the torsion boxes under the rockers with all new metal), nothing really made it shift. So, I lifted it carefully without them. The dolly I put the body on it shimmed to mate up and support the body well - - much better than the POS body mounts I found rotted away under it!

Maybe I will regret it - time will tell. I already have a few regrets on this project, so a few more won't kill me. Chances are I will be taking these back off and putting them on properly -- crap welds.

jaros44sr - I googled tri-pro, looks like they are out of business - any other recommendations? I do have the hard top, but again, the PO bondo'ed the top of the rear panels, so there were no holes left to attach it to.......funny how all POs are hacks and all current owners are geniuses!

Also, I found the frame dimensions for a 1971 4x4 - does anyone know where I can get them for the 1972? I went page by page through my 'Assembly Guide' but couldn't locate anything. Would like to have some to take to the body shop with me this week.

try looking up top banana, I think that is what they changed their name to

Ta12sec 07-04-2016 10:16 PM

That truck looks framiliar, I looked at one in the Carolinas that all the body work was "done"

tjsblazer 07-04-2016 10:17 PM

Welcome aboard another one to watch.
I got beat to the bracing.

Looking forward to your build. Keep the pictures coming.

UGAK5 07-04-2016 10:44 PM

I bought this one out of TN. And yes - - PO said 'very little rust and we've done all the body work except the front clip' - - yeah, right.....

I knew what I was buying, but still find things that are hard to believe. LOTS of rework in my future.

Any info on frame specs would be really appreciated. I can find every frame EXCEPT the one I want....a 72 4x4.

Also, anyone know a source for the front left bump stop bracket? Apparently my blazer on has a right one! :lol:

tjsblazer 07-04-2016 11:02 PM

for the axle when bottomed out
or for the front spring for crash test improvment?

Chad22873 07-05-2016 12:20 AM

I have been very happy with the quality and figment of all of the sheet metal and replacement parts that I have bought from GMCPAULS. I would not hesitate to recommend them at all.

mcmlxix 07-05-2016 12:57 AM

My best suggestion is to make sure the frame is straight and true, then reinstall the body with new body mounts. Align all original body panels with doors and TOP on. This will make sure all will realign when repairing and replacing sheet metal. Also, truck doors and be cut down to Blazer doors. 1972 doors are different than 1971 and older. Easy to ID by the screw/dimple by the vent window.
Welcome to the addiction!

UGAK5 07-05-2016 07:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7643717)
for the axle when bottomed out
or for the front spring for crash test improvment?

Hey Jeff - I think its for the front axle bottoming out - here's a pic of the right side (with) and the left side (without).

UGAK5 07-05-2016 07:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7643771)
My best suggestion is to make sure the frame is straight and true

Thanks Rich - Thats what I was thinking as well. The body shop did ask me for any help I could offer in locating frame specs - hopefully I will find some. Also, here are 3 pics of some bends on the frame I have found thus far. 1st is right front horn....2 and 3 are the drivers side at the tranny mount.

Anything else specific to look for?

tjsblazer 07-05-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7643867)
Hey Jeff - I think its for the front axle bottoming out - here's a pic of the right side (with) and the left side (without).

Yes, you're right. You shouldn't have any problem finding one on this board. Dwayne in PA, which isn't too terribly far away from you for shipping might have one. He has tore down a few Blazers over the past few months although this would be a common bracket on K10 also. I have linked his members page below.

Based on this project I would highly recommend you spend the $25 and become a forum member. You need this to be able to post "wanted to buy adds" or to sell on the forum. You can buy from existing posts without being a member but for $25 what you will get out of this forum will be money well spent.

Cheers,

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=99600

UGAK5 07-05-2016 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jeff - Good advice and I will join.

Like other posters, I have answered a portion of my own question. I contacted the GM Heritage center this morning and got a copy of the 1972 4x4 frame AND specs! Hopefully others will enjoy this too.

Chris

jaros44sr 07-05-2016 07:43 PM

hey congrats, you turned blue, best money you've ever spent. getting to your pm, answer is rather long winded

maybe, you should move this over to the projects and builds, starting to look like something to follow

I have an extra rubber snubber, if you find the bracket, sorry all I have are rear brackets

UGAK5 07-05-2016 08:13 PM

Thanks Jim - Appreciate all the help and advice. Jeff hooking me up with Dwayne was a great call. He has the bracket I needed and is getting it to me.

Appreciate the bump stop offer, but I have a full set from the PO's, sometimes random, parts collection!

Looking forward to the long winded PM.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-05-2016 08:19 PM

I regretting not using braces at the door openings and it ended up costing more $$/hours of labor to get the doors aligned. Mine was perfectly straight before tearing everything apart too.

UGAK5 07-05-2016 08:27 PM

Yeah - fingers crossed.......

My measurements are the same before and after, so hopefully I am a good. It hasn't had the doors on it since I've owned it, so who knows - it could be racked from the PO and I'd never know. The joy of a project!

Frame goes in tomorrow to the frame shop......we'll see how that works out too.

notsolo 07-06-2016 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This may be the same photo You posted / with spec's.

UGAK5 07-06-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 7644850)
This may be the same photo You posted / with spec's.

Thanks notsolo - I had run across that one in another post, but since it said 1971, I really wanted to find one for a 1972. I think they are exactly the same, except the rear horns for the bumper.

I took my frame to a repair shop today - and the drawings/specs I posted. They said it was what they needed. They also said about 5 to 7 hours of labor, so $350 ish. (Having them take off some old crap the PO welded on teh frame too.) Probably the smartest money I have spent yet.

FWIW - they also said these frames can allow about a 7 to 8 mm tolerance - thought that was good to know.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-06-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAK5 (Post 7644437)
Yeah - fingers crossed.......

My measurements are the same before and after, so hopefully I am a good. It hasn't had the doors on it since I've owned it, so who knows - it could be racked from the PO and I'd never know. The joy of a project!

Frame goes in tomorrow to the frame shop......we'll see how that works out too.

Oh... Yeah in that case if they've been off for quite a while then it probably won't make a difference if you put braces on now. Hopefully, you have better luck than me. I'll be tagging along on your project. Good luck!

UGAK5 07-06-2016 03:44 PM

Hey Mike - - I feel honored you read my post - I have learned TONS from yours.:metal:

As I said originally, I bought this project off a guy and the whole front clip, engine accessories, brackets, windshield, trim and interior was already removed. He labeled things - but poorly, so I feel like your photos are going to be life savers for me. Its always hard to put it back together - even harder when you didn't take it apart!

Thanks for making reference quality pics!

Chris

UGAK5 07-09-2016 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have asked the moderator to move my thread over to the build section, since it seems that is what its becoming!

Here are some updates:

I took the tub, cowl, hood and tailgate over to the sandblaster (pics below) - should get it back next week.

I also made the decision to go with custom 3" leaf springs from ORD. I know thats an odd number - - but I want to run 33's without any rubbing issues, but not have too much fender well showing.....nothing looks worse to me than too small a tire under the fender. Now, I know I could get bigger tires, but that means more $$ - tires cost more, could need bigger gears, etc, etc.

Another factor on the custom springs is that I wanted a more compliant ride - - softer. Should have the leaves in about 4 weeks. Just about the time I get the frame back from the painter.

Thanks all for the help thus far!

UGAK5 07-09-2016 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today's accomplishment - sourced a set of 4 15x8 rally wheels locally for $100.....and 2 hours there and back!

Should look great after I hammer out that one dent, blast them and powdercoat them.

If anyone is looking for 15x7s with a 3.5" backspace, theres a set on ebay in PA for $400 delivered.