The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Black_Sheep 07-11-2017 12:29 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

[quote=evilokc;7987815]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 7987152)
Both

I wouldn't really call it damage, but the firewall had 28 assorted holes ranging in size from 1/4" to over an inch. None were needed anymore because the battery is relocated under the cab, the wiring is hidden, etc... Smoothing the firewall was an easy way to lose the holes and save hours of finish work vs. plugging and welding everything. Plus, I like the look...[/QUOT

are you worried about rust? I'm not familiar with the bonding agent you used so when I saw that you didn't cut and weld my mind immediately went to future hidden rust. is the bonding agent a metal?

There is no rust whatsoever and according to 3M the panel bond completely seals out moisture. I ground the contact area to bare metal, applied the panel bond then used a plastic spreader to make sure all of the bare metal was completely covered before putting the panels in place per 3M's instructions. After it's painted I will probably spray cavity wax in the voids to ensure rust will not form. Here's a short how to video from 3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1S3iv9v874

evilokc 07-11-2017 12:31 AM

I soldered on the H.E.I pigtail on. it was a hassle because all the wires were burnt and the colors were hard to distinguish. however I got it done and done correctly. here is the good part.. I dropped a washer into the motor got distracted and started the motor. it screamed like a velociraptor being gang raped in prison.so my recently resurrected truck is now broken. the GOOD news is that It sounds like its a stuck valve. I don't believe its gotten into the cylinder. that's really as good as something like this gets. I will pull the carb, distributor, and manifold and then try and locate the washer. if I'm lucky I will be able to remove it with a magnet and re assemble from there. worst case I will have to remove the head and fix a valve. this was a BIG mistake and I have no one but myself to blame. I'm bummed but I can do this. I warm you this video is painful to watch. any moral and technical support will be appreciated.

1958Warrior 07-11-2017 02:09 AM

Evilokc, I would try pulling the spark plugs ,and valve covers, and get an inspection camera
they are about $50 on craiglist around here new and see if it made it in the cylinder:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/6210069027.html
I would NOT fire the engine up with it in there, if it is a stuck valve, can bend it break it damage the piston and cylinder wall.
If you cant locate it by looking in the cylinder , may be able to tell by the looseness of the push rod .
If it didn't make it into a cylinder, also check the push rod for that valve for being bent.
But regardless you're just determining where to go fishing for it , odds are you'll have to pull the head. I don't know if your engine was a recent build, if it was may just want to pull the one head, if not maybe pull both and go thru them and have them both freshened up.

b-mac 07-11-2017 09:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
2 coats of POR-15 on the center section of the frame. Time to start plumbing lines.
Do you guys run your electrical for front and rear lights in the frame?

evilokc 07-12-2017 12:00 AM

motor has about 7k on it. I need a borescope to tackle this for sure.

Russell Ashley 07-12-2017 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Black_Sheep;7988118][quote=evilokc;7987815]

There is no rust whatsoever and according to 3M the panel bond completely seals out moisture. I ground the contact area to bare metal, applied the panel bond then used a plastic spreader to make sure all of the bare metal was completely covered before putting the panels in place per 3M's instructions. After it's painted I will probably spray cavity wax in the voids to ensure rust will not form. Here's a short how to video from 3M

Virtually every late model vehicle is stuck together with panel bond now so you don't have to worry about it. My son owns a body shop and when he showed me that stuff I had a little bit of a problem accepting that some type of adhesive was used to attach parts to a car, but I have realized the advantage of it now. You use it in conjunction with some spot welds and/or fasteners on qtr panels, etc.

Black_Sheep 07-13-2017 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-mac (Post 7988258)
2 coats of POR-15 on the center section of the frame. Time to start plumbing lines.

My rear wiring runs along the frame, front end wiring is tucked up under the fender. I'm running a Nova front clip so I don't think routing it through the subframe is feasible.

gigamanx 07-13-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-mac (Post 7988258)

I'm looking to do the same. What prep did you use to get the frame ready and did you brush or spray on the POR-15?

OrrieG 07-13-2017 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is stock frame. Fuse box is left of steering, I ran it out into the fender well, then into the frame. I ran it in a fire proof fabric loom, black to blend into the frame. The loom allowed me to cut a small hole to fish out lines to accessories. I used zip ties to connect it to the brake lines I already had in the same space. Where there were no brake lines I used a insulated electrical "d" clamp bolted to the frame. Here is a pic of the wiring coming out of the firewall/fender well. I used a rubber grommet and flexible insulation putty to seal the opening and protect the wiring.

evilokc 07-15-2017 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
life is so funny. mistakes happen and we fix them as well as we can. I lost a washer in my motor and feared I had damaged or destroyed it. today I begun my tear down to locate the washer and assess the damage. I planned to remove the distributor, carb, and manifold so I would be able to look into the valve area and locate the washer. I got the hood removed for work room. I got the coolant drained and when I removed the carb I found something wonderful. the lost washer wasn't in the motor. it was sandwiched between the carb and the gasket. my guess is that it kept the side of the carb tilted up causing a vacuum leak which wouldn't let the truck run. I installed the carb and it fired right up and idled correctly. I'm stoked! I hope your weekend wrenching is as successful as mine. now I can install my new throttle pedal.

jams97355 07-15-2017 07:28 PM

You should buy a lottery ticket. You're a lucky man. LOL

handyhands 07-15-2017 08:37 PM

Ordered a hood latch panel from Brothers (10 percent off). Still welding up lower door skins. Need to order fuel pump and lines from speedway. Trade junk car for other parts( 4x4 axle ,drive by wire pedal, arm rest,

bmar 07-15-2017 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished the truck bed today. I just need to get a bunch of help to lift it onto the truck.

evilokc 07-15-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jams97355 (Post 7991573)
You should buy a lottery ticket. You're a lucky man. LOL

i agree! I had accepted that the motor was damaged. I been depressed about it all week waiting to tear into it and see how bad it was.

evilokc 07-15-2017 11:11 PM

after getting my truck fired again I moved on to the new throttle pedal assembly. to be honest I have never liked the lokar throttle / transmission cable bracket. it has been on the truck for 15 years or more. I had it on the first carb set up then was able to use it on the tbi set up I had for so long and when I was forced to go back to carb its still around. I guess that's quality. i ordered a new one that is definitely more pleasing to the eye. i got as far as removing the old throttle pedal before i called it for the night. tomorrow i will probably put in another hour getting it finished up. good day for sure guys

mikeusmc59 07-19-2017 01:59 AM

Looking for assistance in picking a gas pedal. Was looking at the Lokar eliminator one, any suggestions? I have a 59 apache

Russell Ashley 07-19-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeusmc59 (Post 7994479)
Looking for assistance in picking a gas pedal. Was looking at the Lokar eliminator one, any suggestions? I have a 59 apache

That's what I have on my truck and I recommend it highly. I modified mine and attached an original style pedal to it to keep the original look.

mikeusmc59 07-20-2017 07:28 AM

Thanks. Did you use Lokars throttle cables also? And is that spacer necessary ?

Russell Ashley 07-20-2017 04:28 PM

I used a Mr Gasket universal cable, about half the price of Lokar. I mounted the pedal where the original pedal bracket was attached and didn't use any spacer. If the engine is in the truck you have to work in a tight space between the engine and fire wall to get it mounted.

evilokc 07-20-2017 06:39 PM

I'm installing my new lokar pedal now. I hope to reuse the throttle cable that was in it.

mikeusmc59 07-20-2017 08:29 PM

Thankfully i will have motor out so it should be painless, i hope. Thank you for the help! Evilokc, let me know what you think after you are done.

evilokc 07-22-2017 11:51 PM

I got my new throttle bracket in. I had to stare at it for longer than I want to admit before I saw how it went together. got it assembled ( no instructions at all) and went out to install it. the first issue I had was that the carb studs aren't long enough. so I was dead in the water right off the bat. I will try and grab a set tomorrow. I already have 1 inch over stock studs for a spacer I needed for clearance. I hope they make 2 inch over studs. the second issue I noticed was that the bracket didn't seem to have a place for the transmission cable. after looking it over there may be a piece for that after all. if its not one thing its another. oh well. it will look and work great once I get this done.

svr 07-23-2017 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the day reassembleing my new to me steering column. Paid $50 for an early 80's chev pickup floor shift column. Took it apart, cleaned it all up and shaved the key switch. New turn signal switch and canceling cam, along with new bearings. All back together while i could remember how it went.

svr 07-23-2017 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

svr 07-23-2017 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another