The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vent window rebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759442)

Bandit130 03-16-2018 06:55 PM

Vent window rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Just wrapped up rebuilding my passenger vent window. Not perfect, but I'm satisfied. Was time consuming since I had to paint frame and wait to dry. Quite a job.
A before and after shot. Maybe you can see finished one ok due to the glare.

Driver side to be done later.

TKCR 03-16-2018 07:04 PM

Re: Vent window rebuild

Looks pretty darn good!!

UKNOWME 03-18-2018 12:07 AM

Congrats! You have way more patience than me. That’s why I sent mine off.

bh86 03-18-2018 04:16 AM

Looks great! I’ve done a few of these and it’s quite the process so I applaud you. I see lmc is now selling complete new pieces now. I’m not typically an lmc fan but I’d like to see if they’re decent quality since I for one don’t ever look forward to this job lol

Whamo 03-18-2018 08:51 AM

looks good man!

Racmad2019 03-19-2018 09:42 AM

I tried this rebuild so I could replace my rubber seals. Had a hard time fitting the seals. I found out how to drill rivets out and re-do everything. I decided to break down and buy a new unit from LMC. I ordered the "green" glass version. It fit well and was a breeze to install. I was very happy with the end result. I plan on replacing the driver side next payday. I'm at work now, but will post pictures when I get home.

PS- UNKNOWME--I lived in Clovis for four years. My wife is from Tucumcari and my kids/grandkids live there now. Thinking about moving there when I retire.

GMDad 03-19-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racmad2019 (Post 8215467)
I tried this rebuild so I could replace my rubber seals. Had a hard time fitting the seals. I found out how to drill rivets out and re-do everything. I decided to break down and buy a new unit from LMC. I ordered the "green" glass version. It fit well and was a breeze to install. I was very happy with the end result. I plan on replacing the driver side next payday. I'm at work now, but will post pictures when I get home.

PS- UNKNOWME--I lived in Clovis for four years. My wife is from Tucumcari and my kids/grandkids live there now. Thinking about moving there when I retire.

How are they for windleaks? We purchased LMC vent weatherstrips and installed them and been chasing air whistles from both sides. Maybe I didn't install them properly but sure is aggravating

Racmad2019 03-20-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDad (Post 8215655)
How are they for windleaks? We purchased LMC vent weatherstrips and installed them and been chasing air whistles from both sides. Maybe I didn't install them properly but sure is aggravating

No wind noise with the LMC part. I had bad seals and it was whistling pretty bad before the repair. This part has no leaks probably because it is made as a complete unit. I had a hard time seating the replacement seals from LMC and could have taken the time to remove the two rivets holding the unit together. I just didn't have the patience to do that.

I got off late last night and didn't get a chance to take a picture. I'm stuck in the vortex of work and may have to wait until the weekend. I will be ordering the driver side just so the glass matches on both sides.

The "green glass" looks nice and the overall appearance of the part blends well with the rest of the truck. The peace and quiet from the whistle is great.

Bandit130 03-20-2018 10:06 AM

Thanks for all compliments. I have only done passenger side and so far I cannot hear any wind noise. I will need to have someone ride with me that can check. Driver side coming soon.

Racmad2019 03-20-2018 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[attach]Attachment 1765310[/attach]

Sorry about the sideways post. Don't know how to fix that. LMC aftermarket vent window for the passenger side. $ 200.00.

fordguy40 03-20-2018 04:33 PM

Looks great! Need to get around to doing mine soon. Saw PRP's video on youtube and it looks like those seals have to be manhandled on there a bit.

Bandit130 03-23-2018 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished driver side vent window today. I tried to check time closer this time. Took 2 hours to disassemble, clean, prep, paint. I let it dry overnight this time instead of waiting to dry in one day. Then, 3 hours to assemble seals in frame and re-install in door. Of course made mistake and had to remove from door, correct boo boo, re-assemble and finish door. Still quite a job.

Next project, replace chrome weatherstrip locking strip in windshield and back glass. Received parts and tool on Wednesday.

TKCR 03-23-2018 07:00 PM

Compared to the ones I had done by Precision, you did an excellent job. Just like a pro!!

808_67C10 03-23-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh86 (Post 8214523)
Looks great! I’ve done a few of these and it’s quite the process so I applaud you. I see lmc is now selling complete new pieces now. I’m not typically an lmc fan but I’d like to see if they’re decent quality since I for one don’t ever look forward to this job lol

AMEN, there are some things worth paying for!

Bandit130 03-23-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 8219910)
AMEN, there are some things worth paying for!

Thanks for the comments. I only paid 35.00 for 2 vent window set. My time on my own truck is well worth the price since I can do it in my own time. Paying high dollar for complete units can be worth it if you want to spend that much. I really don't. Anyway, I'm happy with the outcome....:metal:

Jaysonb 03-25-2018 07:42 AM

Looks like it turned out great! I'm in the same boat as you, can't see spending hundreds when new seals are only $35.

TKCR 03-25-2018 02:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I tried doing mine, I just don't have the hand strength anymore to do something like that. I gave it a try though. Finally sent them off to Precision. He only charged labor to do them, because I had all the parts already bought, since I was planning on doing them myself.

I applaud anyone that can rebuild vent windows themselves!!!:metal: