The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Modify a tailgate to make it removable? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775235)

bigmoe 11-15-2018 12:33 AM

Modify a tailgate to make it removable?

Anyone ever make a tailgate removable like the modern tailgates? I guess it would involve modifying one trunnion and cutting a slot in the bottom of one side of the tailgate hole.

jocko 11-15-2018 01:09 AM

Re: Modify a tailgate to make it removable?

Probably doable (and I'd do it exactly how you describe, same as the new trucks), but keep in mind that for the newer, removable tailgates, they sell tailgate locks to make them harder to remove (by a thief). So, there's good/bad to both sides of the equation. As often as I might (not) need to remove my tailgate quickly, I'd rather not worry about it getting stolen the other 99.9% of the time.

oem4me 11-15-2018 01:12 AM

If you didn't already know, the '58-'66 gates are removable: Remove bottom bolt from left and right trunnions, pivot gate to horizontal position, support tailgate and remove upper bolts, maintain horizontal position and lift one end of gate until trunnion clears socket and you're out. No guarantees made on a scratch-free result, but they do come out easily enough.

bigmoe 11-15-2018 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 8384714)
If you didn't already know, the '58-'66 gates are removable: Remove bottom bolt from left and right trunnions, pivot gate to horizontal position, support tailgate and remove upper bolts, maintain horizontal position and lift one end of gate until trunnion clears socket and you're out. No guarantees made on a scratch-free result, but they do come out easily enough.

I realize that but my truck isn’t even painted yet and I’m stressing about scratches, lol. I’m planning on removing the chains and I’ve been looking at some nice shiny marine latches and I’ll need to install some cable limiters.

The Rocknrod 11-15-2018 07:24 AM

Mark-K makes tailgates with -latches and links - http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/index.aspx?LID=16178

61K10 11-15-2018 02:13 PM

I did this on mine just like you described. Just like my 2k 1500,works ok. No way could i even slide mine between the rails, at least by myself. You have to maybe leave the bedside's loose at the bottom and spread them out a little. Still scratches? This was on a fleet-side.

dracko 11-18-2018 12:06 PM

I’m currently prepping my truck for paint and plan to do this in the very near future, to help make reassembly a breeze. Removing 4 bolts while balancing a tailgate is not what i’d consider quick removal. I did see pics of this mod either online or InstaGram but can’t seem to find them. But the guy did exactly what you mention, cut the trunnion flat on each side, I was thinking 9/16” , set at about 20 degree angle, then cut a 5/8” slot in the bottom of the tailgate.

crewguy 11-21-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracko (Post 8386658)
I’m currently prepping my truck for paint and plan to do this in the very near future, to help make reassembly a breeze. Removing 4 bolts while balancing a tailgate is not what i’d consider quick removal. I did see pics of this mod either online or InstaGram but can’t seem to find them. But the guy did exactly what you mention, cut the trunnion flat on each side, I was thinking 9/16” , set at about 20 degree angle, then cut a 5/8” slot in the bottom of the tailgate.

Want to do the same. Let us know how it turns out

Clyde65 11-21-2018 11:18 AM

Tailgate theft around the area would prevent me from making my tailgate easier to remove.