The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Droning exhaust. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=788383)

dave`12 06-10-2019 09:30 AM

Droning exhaust.

1 Attachment(s)
My setup is ramhorns, small block Chevy motor, 2 inch pipes. The mufflers are just about under the seat and the pipes come out in front of the wheels.

I have an irritating droning, but it is only at idle. Will running the pipes out the back get rid of this?

Please don't tell me I have to move the mufflers!

p.s. yeah the pic has headers, but it's ramhorn now.

Thanx

LockDoc 06-10-2019 10:01 AM

Re: Droning exhaust.

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave`12 (Post 8539918)
My setup is ramhorns, small block Chevy motor, 2 inch pipes. The mufflers are just about under the seat and the pipes come out in front of the wheels.

I have an irritating droning, but it is only at idle. Will running the pipes out the back get rid of this?

p.s. yeah the pic has headers, but it's ramhorn now.

Thanx

You might try a set of "J" pipes. The guy at the muffler shop I go to had never heard of them. He couldn't believe what a difference they made in the exhaust sound after he got them installed..... Exhaust still sounds good, just no drone.

Chart below the picture to calculate the length you need.

It is just a pipe shaped like a "J", installed just behind the muffler. It is capped at the end and the frequency bounces back and cancels itself out. You can't just make them any length and expect them to work. That's why I recommend doing some reading on them. I think mine are 23.5 inches long.

LockDoc

Ol Blue K20 06-10-2019 10:48 AM

I'm running a 402 with headers and flowmasters. I had the mufflers installed as close to the rear diff as possible. The tailpipes exit behind the rear tire at about a 45* angle. It's fairly loud but no drone and quiet in the cab.

Daaaanz67 06-10-2019 10:58 AM

Move the cans lol.

demian5 06-10-2019 11:19 AM

Under the cab? That's the problem I believe. I have mine under the bed with turn downs and I don't get any drone (but I also have a sound deadened cab.

toolboxchev 06-10-2019 11:22 AM

I had mine with the mufflers under the cab and had the same problem. Did not really notice it until I muved da mufflers to da back o de bed man!

truckster 06-10-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave`12 (Post 8539918)

OK, I'm not going to tell you, but... the further back the mufflers are, the less drone you'll have in the cab.

Mbeef61 06-10-2019 12:12 PM

What kind of mufflers? Some are worse than others

Astro-Balls 06-10-2019 02:05 PM

Under the cab is yer problem right there...

Big Kev-O 06-10-2019 04:42 PM

You have a compound issue, muffler under the cab and no crossover pipe. Looks clean thought!

lilredfifty 06-10-2019 08:55 PM

This! From LockDoc, J-Pipes. I tried this on my 66 c10 it had a drone at about 1600 rpm at 55 mph. I couldn't stand to drive the truck. I took out my h-pipe and tried them there way before the mufflers. It took away all of the drone. Someday I will put the H-Pipe back in and try them after the mufflers and see what happens.

Steeveedee 06-10-2019 09:30 PM

I ran headers with a Flowmaster system all the way out the back on my '68 Skylark (SBC powered). It had an h-pipe, as well. The mufflers were in the stock position just forward of the rear axle. The drone was horrendous, and it was my commuter car. The only thing to quiet that exhaust was better mufflers. The j-pipes are frequency-dependent, so I wouldn't use them, personally. When I do the exhaust on my truck, it's getting Cadillac mufflers (and Dyno-Mat, eventually).

6T7 C10 06-10-2019 10:35 PM

LockDoc I am running a helmholtz resonator that you are describing on my 5.7 Toyota Tundra daily driver with no muffler(s) at all and they do work!

Yes move the muffler to behind/after the cab. Chambered mufflers are the worst about drone. A crossover or the smallest of glass packs on the tailpipe as a resonator will help. Exhaust exit out a side is a big plus too and you have that.

dave`12 06-11-2019 09:58 PM

Thanx for the input. I would like to use the chart from Locdoc and take it to the muffler guy, but my drone is at idle and the chart starts at 1400rpm. Hope I can still do it that way, it would be so much cheaper.

And I told you guys NOT to tell me to move the mufflers :)

Ol Blue K20 06-11-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave`12 (Post 8540958)
Thanx for the input. I would like to use the chart from Locdoc and take it to the muffler guy, but my drone is at idle and the chart starts at 1400rpm. Hope I can still do it that way, it would be so much cheaper.

And I told you guys NOT to tell me to move the mufflers :)

Sorry but I couldn't lie to you......:lol:

davischevy 06-11-2019 10:43 PM

My dad bought a 69 new and I had a 72 Cheyenne Super that both had the drone. I changed the obvious things on the 72 but it still had the drone when I sold it.

I did a search and couldn't find the old info I was looking for, but I remember a thread that indicated the hood hinge springs. As I remember it, They slid a piece of foam or rubber inside the hinge to stop the vibration (drone). Surely somebody remembers that thread.

Sound nuts, but I'm serious.

6T7 C10 06-11-2019 10:47 PM

Blue thank you for being a good sport. When you look at Lock Doc's chart you will see that lower the RPM the longer the tube so take an educated guess as to length. Those tubes really do work. The science is sort of cool. Basically they are a quarter wave and bounce wave back onto the incoming wave to cancel it out. RPM, temperature and other variables are at work but with a little adjusting/tuning you will get it and be pleased I think.