The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   60/40 seat fold down arm rest question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=387465)

ApeKing 02-18-2010 07:13 AM

60/40 seat fold down arm rest question

One of the rear torx bolts has fallen out of the fold down arm rest on my 60/40 seat. I haven't had time to take a really close look at it but it appears difficult to access. anyone have any tips or tricks to get that boly back in and tightened up?

ChevLoRay 02-18-2010 10:42 AM

Re: 60/40 seat fold down arm rest question

If you know where it fell out, you should be able to find where it will go when it is all lined back up. If I could see the hole it fell from, then I'd take a small phillips screwdriver (#1) and push it through that hole and try to access the threaded portion that it threads into. When you find it, try to hold the armrest steady and remove the screwdriver and then insert the torx bolt into the hole and try to thread it back where it came from.

One thing that may be possible is that the time the bolt spent working loose and then falling out, may have caused some damage to the threads. Not saying it happened, just bringing to light the possibility. Wouldn't be the first time....

ApeKing 02-18-2010 11:10 AM

I can do all that but the issue lies with this bolt is the one that is at the back of the mechanism and just getting to it to start it and then tighten it is the problem. Like I said I have not had a chance to take a good look at it yet. I was just curious if anyone else had run into this and knew a trick.

Thanks

ApeKing 02-19-2010 05:14 AM

Okay I took a better look yesterday and this is gonna be a pain in the arse!

ChevLoRay 02-19-2010 07:44 AM

I always hated to hear, "If it was easy, ANYBODY could do it", especially when the speaker wasn't the one with the problem.

But, nothing is too hard for someone else to do.

"I feel your pain" is what Bill said, knowing he didn't really feel it all.

Let us know what you did and how you accessed the little buggar.

ApeKing 02-19-2010 11:03 AM

I will share once I get it done.

ApeKing 02-20-2010 09:49 AM

If you unzip the carpet like panel on the back of the seat and reach under it from the drivers side you can feel two bolts on each side of the arm rest opening. They boly through some angle that is part of the arm rest frame mechanism. Remove those four bolts and gently maneuver the entire assembly out of the opening from the front. It wont come all the way out because of the vinyl flap on top of the arm rest but it will come out far enough and turn enough to access all of the mechanism. Unfortunately it appears I have lost a nutsert. I might have to do some "engineering" to fix it or try and find another arm rest.

ChevLoRay 02-20-2010 12:07 PM

Remember those things called "Tinnerman" nuts?? Those were the ones that had a sheet/spring steel part that slipped over a hole and the tabs locked into a couple more smaller holes? Yeah, those that would break the spring part and then the nut would turn where you couldn't get to it. I really hate those situations.

So, where this nutsert goes....it's probably part of something bigger and unobtainable, right? Like, part of the seat that you can only get from another seat? Don't that suck?

It's the story of my life.

ApeKing 02-20-2010 02:29 PM

If I am right the nutserts are inside the arm rest, as in under the vinyle/c;oth etc... I will post the details if I come up with something that works.

vetnat 01-27-2018 02:14 PM

subscribed for reference