The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Plug and wire question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750087)

Tdrcreyn4 11-08-2017 09:56 AM

Plug and wire question

I see a bunch of adds for high performance plugs and wire sets. One that comes to mind with plugs are the ones with 3 contacts at the electrode. Is there really any performance gain with these parts or for that matter a hotter coil over a stock GM HEI? Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.

68gmsee 11-08-2017 12:30 PM

Re: Plug and wire question

I haven't used any of the high voltage coils but the high performance spark plugs I've used. I didn't notice any noticeable gain in power or fuel consumption but it may be that the gain on this products is small and takes time.

Overall, from my experience, don't expect to notice a significant and immediate change.

mongocanfly 11-08-2017 12:31 PM

go to utube and search....there's lots of dyno tests on this...they do seem to show small gains

truckster 11-08-2017 01:05 PM

Physics is pretty simple, really. An electrical spark will jump to the nearest ground, meaning that only one of those electrodes is actually doing any work. Two electrodes, three electrodes, or thirty electrodes, the physics doesn't change.

Marv D 11-08-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8077993)
Physics is pretty simple, really. An electrical spark will jump to the nearest ground, meaning that only one of those electrodes is actually doing any work. Two electrodes, three electrodes, or thirty electrodes, the physics doesn't change.

DITTO

Something from the 1976 SAdesigns book how to hotrod your small block chevy...
Quote:

From HP Books "how to hotrod small block Chevys" 1976 edition

In desperation, others have installed "guaranteed, life time, more horsepower, mileage and engine life" trick plugs. Don't bother. No one winning any races uses them - so why should you? Most of these plugs, easily identiied by the full page adds used to advertise them, appeal to the "something-for-nothing" owner who thinks that screwing in new plugs will give instant and enormous improvements in HP and mileage. We all know that this is impossible and so do you. But, Barnum was right, there IS a SUCKER born every minute.
This was written before the Splitfire fiasco so it does prove PT Barnum was 100% right, and still is. Someone will always be selling snake oil plugs that offer more performance, power and engine life. What crok!

As compression and cylinder ressure goes UP, resistance of the spark jumping the gap becomes greater. So you need a coil with higher 'punch' to force the spark across the plug gap in the extreme high pressure. A stock coil is more than enough to drive the spark across the gap in stock (street) applications.