The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I want to learn to weld! Advice from experienced welders welcome (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=743744)

Jmh68C10 08-01-2017 10:15 PM

I want to learn to weld! Advice from experienced welders welcome

Hey everyone,

I have always wanted to learn to weld as it would be a great skill to know both for my hobbies as well as for my business ( Repair trucks, trailers, equipment. I am a landscape contractor). A local public school has evening classes and offer mig tig and stick. I have known some good welders come out from the school. Whats got me stumped is what process to start on. I will mainly be working on equipment and of course my c10 as well as other projects. I wouldn't rule out side work if I ever was good enough at it. I plan to buy a miller mp215 for home use and take multiple classes over time but what would be the best foundation to learn on. I have read some say to start with the harder processes like stick so the other come easier. So with that being said experienced welders, where should I start.

mongocanfly 08-01-2017 10:27 PM

Re: I want to learn to weld! Advice from experienced welders welcome

most welding classes I've seen start out with basic stick weld and then move on to mig and then tig...its all in how you plan to use your new found skills...stick welding is becoming a thing of the past with mig kinda taking the spotlight, but stick still serves a purpose...if you just want to hobby weld on home projects and maybe some of your buddys stuff I would get the basics of stick welding, skip the tig, and concentrate mainly on mig....mig is very versatile when working with metals thick to thin..get yourself a good gas shielded 220-250 welder lots of good names out there..just do your research...favorites of mine are miller, hobart, esab

truckster 08-01-2017 10:51 PM

Stick is still around, but mainly used for heavy fabricating. I think you should start with MIG and get comfortable at that first.

CG 08-01-2017 11:01 PM

You tube has a zillion vids on welding, might start there.

Also maybe a class at a community college

'63GENIII 08-01-2017 11:54 PM

Just out of HS, I took a class at JC that centered around welding. Welding Tech was the name. The teacher was fairly well respected nationwide. We started with oxy / acet brazing, then welding to teach the basics of it. Then we went onto stick, MIG and finally TIG. MIG has to be the most versatile and easily adaptable out of all of them. To me, TIG is more of an art, infinitely controllable, can practically weld anything - more expensive. That said, a MIG bead, properly prepped and put down is just as strong as anything else and affordable.

As others have suggested start with MIG, Youtube, Community College are all great suggestions. Look for scrap steel to practice on and practice - a lot!

I got a Millermatic 130 Plus with a small CO2 / Argon mix. If I had to do it again, I would have stepped up to the 220v model. Many times Ive run up against the limits of this little welder. Don't get me wrong, it's worked flawlessly for 11 years but its been hard on the little machine.

You may make the jump to TIG or you may keep running a wire feed but learning to weld has always been a valuable skill for me which has paid for itself in less down time and outlay of cash for someone else to do things for me. Ive always figured that if I ever quit welding stuff, I could always sell the little machine for near what I got it for. Not likely to happen though.

FWIW, I like few things better (mechanically speaking) than seeing a super clean bead made with the tungsten.

GR8-68 08-02-2017 05:36 AM

I took welding classes when I was in high school but of course back then we did not have a mig I learned to stick weld, braze and spot weld. Anyway I just kind of picked up mig on my own later on in years but we just invested in this new welder, granted it is a bit pricey but you talk about sweet and easy setup, it made welding these body panels look easy. We purchased a millermatic 211 with auto setting, you select the guage metal you are welding and the size wire and it fixes your heat and wire speed. :metal: Here is a link to a setup like this. :chevy:

Millermatic 211

special-K 08-02-2017 06:28 AM

Take a community college class. They'll cover it all. Come out of that and experience will teach you the rest.

In The Ten Ring 08-02-2017 06:40 AM

I am a novice welder. It's a very fun and useful hobby and will allow you to expand your DIY skills in ways impossible for the non-welder to imagine. I am very happy you have decided to learn to weld.

Take that class BUT be ready to be disappointed just in case. I have tried two public school Vo. Tech classes and both were a complete joke, I stopped going to both each time. Both classes the teacher was just beating in time, a problem rather epidemic with public schools. Teachers that try to have real impact get forced out.

I tried to learn from a master welder but he was just a very bad teacher, effective teaching really is a skill in itself that most people don't possess and won't learn.

I took an evening welding class at a local community college and it was great. I soon picked up stick welding and realized it caused "tennis elbow" for me so I gave up any plans on certification......the amount of practice required was just too much for my arm. That may be the case with you, you'll have to see. I then followed up with a "structural welding" day class the following semester, in there with a mix of adults and high school grads. It was hands down one of the best college courses I have ever had and I have three college degrees plus graduate time, so that's saying something.

Useful hints for your welding classes: buy an auto darkening helmet, I prefer the Miller Digital Performance (runs about $200.00). Also buy steel toed leather boots (lots of heavy objects on tables in welding class) and fire-resistant cotton overalls. I like heavy leather gloves and Surefire ear plugs that allow normal talking while blocking out ear-damaging noise. The grinding and cutoff wheels contain fiberglass, you'll be using a lot of those in class plus everyone else. I wear a breathing mask under my shield. Wear safety glasses AT ALL TIMES even when walking in a welding shop, the air is full of flying bits of steel, slag, and grinding disc material.

My father has used his Lincoln Electric 225 AC welder since he bought it in 1965 with impressive results. He was a master welder in the mines and still very impressive, even with severe eye damage from a mine blast in 1964. (He's also the bad teacher I alluded to earlier). I want to buy a larger AC/DC Lincoln Electric along with a Mig welder when I get my garage renovated. GOOD LUCK.

I think you'll need a 110 Mig welder for car sheet metal, but you'll learn all about that later.

One last thing: if you take to this you'll soon want to buy a torch kit, plasma cutter, at least two welders or one that can do stick and MIG, chop saw, grinders, etc., etc., etc. See where I am going with this? :)

In The Ten Ring 08-02-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR8-68 (Post 8005672)
I took welding classes when I was in high school but of course back then we did not have a mig I learned to stick weld, braze and spot weld. Anyway I just kind of picked up mig on my own later on in years but we just invested in this new welder, granted it is a bit pricey but you talk about sweet and easy setup, it made welding these body panels look easy. We purchased a millermatic 211 with auto setting, you select the guage metal you are welding and the size wire and it fixes your heat and wire speed. :metal: Here is a link to a setup like this. :chevy:

Millermatic 211

Wow, that thing is so impressive you got me to wanting one! :) I just put that link into my "Welding" folder.

Grumpy old man 08-02-2017 06:58 AM

When you get to the point of buying more than just a little starter flux core mig check out the Hobart 140 (about $550.00) It will weld anything you will run across on these trucks ,uses gas or the flux core wire and it's 110 so if you need a weld in the field I can just toss some .30 flux core in it and plug into my 110 inverter in my Daily driver truck and get it done. The flux core will work in windy conditions also . no matter what machine your using it's all about Practice, practice , practice .:chevy:

Here's one at $479.00

https://www.ruralking.com/hobart-han...SABEgIwAPD_BwE

truckster 08-02-2017 11:09 AM

I have the Hobart 140 and I love it. I can weld anything from sheet metal to 3/8 mild steel. I have yet to have to wait for it to duty cycle.

And as In The Ten Ring says, you're going to end up wanting to buy a whole lot more metalworking equipment.

In The Ten Ring 08-02-2017 12:59 PM

Two welding channels on youtube I enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5u...B0UALLuF1UZGxQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009

truckster 08-02-2017 01:34 PM

I learned a lot from YouTube and I have the good fortune to have a neighbor who's a weld inspector. So I would weld something up, show it to him, and learn from my mistakes. Mostly I learned that I needed to turn the heat up on a lot of my early projects. He told me the difference between a beginner and a good welder is 10,000 inches. Practice, practice, practice. Go to your local metal recycler and buy scrap of different thicknesses to practice with. Run your beads and cut through them to inspect penetration.

Oh, and one more thing: Protect your health. Aside from the electrical dangers, eyes, ears, and lungs need to be protected when working with metal. Not to mention you can get some really nasty burns if you're not careful.

cooperhw 08-02-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8005554)
Stick is still around, but mainly used for heavy fabricating. I think you should start with MIG and get comfortable at that first.

agree^^^

MIG. Take the class. Buy a good welder. Practice.

61_FL_Apache 08-02-2017 08:14 PM

I was self taught on stick and moved to mig.. That was a blessing and I rarely look back.. I struggled with stick due to lack of knowledge. After some tips from a pro, I get better with the stick. Videos and books are great guides to start with.

I would also suggest taking the classes you have available near you.. It will pay off!!

GR8-68 08-02-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 8005690)
Wow, that thing is so impressive you got me to wanting one! :) I just put that link into my "Welding" folder.

it is very impressive and we can use it on 110 or 220 just by changing the plug on the end of the cord. It comes with both ends that are quick connect :chevy:

mongocanfly 08-02-2017 09:16 PM

agreed..my mouths been watering for a m-211...makes me sorta wish my ol reliable Hobart would kick the bucket..

Grumpy old man 08-02-2017 10:44 PM

Keep this in your book for when you need it ,:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743806

70' GMC 08-05-2017 12:46 AM

Dude welding is awesome. Learned how to weld in the army and was awesome I was fixing stuff that could be permanently remove you from the face of the earth. I welded every from Aluminum to armor plate

PanelDeland 08-06-2017 03:57 PM

I got a 211 a couple years ago. I've had some experience with stick but very little with a decent MIG (the ones I had used were junk but I didn't figure that out until I had my 211). I don't think you can beat it for a home/hobby shop machine. I would like to have a Lincoln Tombstone to use on heavier stuff but mostly because it's faster on thicker metal. I bought mine thru the local Airgas since they would price match and sold me a bottle and gas at a discount to get my business. They matched an internet deal and saved me mor than enough for the bottle.

Jmh68C10 01-18-2018 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I took a semester of Mig at a local county tech center and have moved on to a semester of Tig. I bought a miller multimatic 215.

harpo231 01-18-2018 05:11 PM

If ya don't catch on fire,ya ain't practicing enough

treveiger 01-18-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpo231 (Post 8164422)
If ya don't catch on fire,ya ain't practicing enough

I've learned this lesson recently. The only question is will you finish the weld then put out the fire or stop and put out the fire.:lol:

I bought a Eastwood mig 250 and really like it. I've always enjoyed welding and it's nice to be able to do so as I please. Even installed a welding outlet at my home.

harpo231 01-18-2018 07:08 PM

Learn your safety stuff, then heat settings,weld types and when to apply... don't be a gobber !

'63GENIII 01-18-2018 07:40 PM

Congrats on the classes and the new machine. Love those blue machines.. Turn and burn!