The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1/2" Wheel spacers? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735454)

72K5CSTDarkOlive 04-14-2017 12:47 AM

1/4" Wheel spacers?

I purchased a pair of wilwood D52 calipers a while ago and they are beyond returnable. Not because they have been used but due to their return policy.

I have a set of 15x8 steel wheels (the white ones with 4 nubs and dog dish caps) The backspacing is 4". They do not clear the calipers. I put a 1/4" spacer and they now clear.

I'm searching for people's experience or expertise on this subject. I've researched all over the net and it's nothing but mixed reviews. Is it that bad to run a spacer up front? What are possible side effects, if any?

I welcome all feedback.. bad or good.

My other option is to eat the cost of the calipers that cost 400 bucks and go back to using a set of stock calipers. The other option, and I really don't want to go this route because I've already invested in the wheels and tires, is to take the centers of the wheels and put them in a 16" hoop which would clear the willwood calipers.

big block 72 04-14-2017 01:50 AM

Re: 1/2" Wheel spacers?

The spacers will be fine. Just make sure your wheel studs are long enough, in fact it's worthwhile to upgrade to 1/2" studs.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 04-14-2017 10:55 AM

Re: 1/4" Wheel spacers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by big block 72 (Post 7915257)
The spacers will be fine. Just make sure your wheel studs are long enough, in fact it's worthwhile to upgrade to 1/2" studs.

I made a typo in the Title of the thread. I'm running 1/4" spacers

Tom Vogel 04-15-2017 10:14 AM

I can't imagine a paltry 1/4" will make a big difference.

hemi43 04-15-2017 01:27 PM

Don't use spacers. The reason is that they put too much stress on the base of the stud and could cause them to fail. In fact, here in Ontario (as I've mentioned before), they are outlawed. If you must push your wheels out, then adapters or proper wheel offset is the only way. You're only using 1/4 spacers, so I wouldn't be too concerned because the extra leverage placed on the stud is minimal. I've seen guys use 1" spacers (slip-on) and longer studs, and that's just asking for trouble because the wheel nut is so far away from the axle flange now that it put huge amounts of leverage on the base of the stud especially if these are installed on the drive axle.

stangtjk 04-15-2017 06:54 PM

Added leverage on the stud would only be an issue if the bolted connection looses it's clamping force either by the lug nuts loosening up or improper torque. If properly torqued the friction between the faying surfaces carries all the shear load.

I personally don't like the adapters. They are equally as bad if not worse in my opinion. With spacers you can at least check your lug nuts every now and then to make sure they are torqued. With the adapters the nuts holding them on are hidden by the wheel and you don't know if they loosen up... loose nuts could cause you to lose a wheel with both types.

Caveat:. I've never run either type.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 04-15-2017 10:03 PM

Thanks all. Appreciate all the feedback.. I think the short term solution is to switch the caliper back to stock and longer term (meaning when I have money) take the centers and have them upgraded to a 16" hoop.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 04-15-2017 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7916540)
Don't use spacers. The reason is that they put too much stress on the base of the stud and could cause them to fail. In fact, here in Ontario (as I've mentioned before), they are outlawed. If you must push your wheels out, then adapters or proper wheel offset is the only way. You're only using 1/4 spacers, so I wouldn't be too concerned because the extra leverage placed on the stud is minimal. I've seen guys use 1" spacers (slip-on) and longer studs, and that's just asking for trouble because the wheel nut is so far away from the axle flange now that it put huge amounts of leverage on the base of the stud especially if these are installed on the drive axle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stangtjk (Post 7916778)
Added leverage on the stud would only be an issue if the bolted connection looses it's clamping force either by the lug nuts loosening up or improper torque. If properly torqued the friction between the faying surfaces carries all the shear load.

I personally don't like the adapters. They are equally as bad if not worse in my opinion. With spacers you can at least check your lug nuts every now and then to make sure they are torqued. With the adapters the nuts holding them on are hidden by the wheel and you don't know if they loosen up... loose nuts could cause you to lose a wheel with both types.

Caveat:. I've never run either type.

I probably should have clarified what type of spacer I was going to use. Definitely, not the adapter type. It still allows for the lug nut to tighten all the way down the threads.

Ole Beater 04-17-2017 05:43 PM

I used those but not on my truck. The thing to look out for is that you lose 1/4" of threads. May not be a problem if you have acorn style lugs but if you have the shank style then you may need longer studs or longer shanked lug nuts.

Ziegelsteinfaust 04-17-2017 09:04 PM

On my K20 I used 1/2 inch front and 3/4 rear spacers by drilling out my pyo rims for collared lug nuts. I think they are called collared or sometimes called mag wheel lug nuts.