The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New(ish) Guy from Sunny Florida (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810443)

Brocoli Wad 08-12-2020 01:58 PM

New(ish) Guy from Sunny Florida

Greetings.

Liz got me squared away today, so this is my intro to the board.

I bought a “drive it while you fix it” 1969 C-10 in Jan. ‘20. It’s a rusty driver with LOTS of interesting mods and puzzles installed by previous mechanics. It’s a swb w/ac (inop, no compressor or bracket for same). PS, PB.

I’ve hade stripped down farm trucks, a ‘68 and ‘67 in the 70’s and 80’s, both long gone. Now retired, I decided I’d get another. Found on Facebook in Arcadia, FL. I paid $350 for the ‘67. They’ve gone up a little in the last 35 years!

I’ve been mutely reading posts here since Jan. I regret not having read before I bought a truck, but here we are. Your information and advice has made this a more interesting hobby and I look forward to sharing a bit here and there where I feel I have something useful to say.

I grew up on a farm, was in the Air Force from ‘81-‘07, while serving I was a weapons mechanic, structural repair mechanic and a ‘chute shop guy (I can sew).

That’s it for now, See you in the funny papers.

Lou K.

Brocoli Wad 08-12-2020 02:14 PM

Re: New(ish) Guy from Sunny Florida

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s a picture of the truck at Lemon Bay.

Better pictures to follow as I figure out the process. I have little experience using message boards since Usenet went away.

Lou K.

Brocoli Wad 08-12-2020 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just now:

Liz 08-12-2020 02:47 PM

Glad it finally worked out. Nice truck :)

cwcarpenter98 08-12-2020 05:12 PM

Welcome! I really like the blue on your truck

68Gold/white 08-13-2020 08:21 AM

Waaay nice!!!

Tell us more!!!

Brocoli Wad 08-14-2020 09:40 PM

Well, it’s had lots of work from at least two PO’s. Fairly well maintained, lots of rust in the bed, the doors and top of the cab. Frame and underneath is pretty good. Lots of loose hardware I’m finding and tightening, emergency brakes need work, inner rocker on passenger side is pretty well rotted.

It’s had a mid 80’s 305 installed with some form of cam and an edelbrock 1406, a 700r4 trans and is lowered maybe 2/4. It’s an original a/c truck but the compressor’s missing. It and the bracket probably didn’t work with the swap. Has a 90’s(?) split bench poorly but serviceably installed.

I’ve been getting things squared away as time, money and experience allow. Done 54 items on the list so far, some big some small. The list of things to do grows smaller but more daunting!

Just last month I took it to Gettysburg, PA as its first big trip. All went well except the trans got hot and kept venting expensive atf overboard. Didn’t understand what was going on until I got home, just kept dumping it in at each stop. Long days. I’m no auto mechanic, but I’m getting better!

We enjoy riding around doing errands. My goal was to get a truck cheap, but roadworthy (house needs a roof). Ride and fix. It’s every bit of that. Just making a reliable driver is the goal. I’m there now. Everything from here on is not necessary, just desired or regular maintenance.

It gets lots of attention and comments. Plenty of folks have these trucks in their past and in their hearts. Many stories and smiles.

Once society returns to some semblance of normal we’ll be going to the Dearborn Street Car Night here in Englewood, first Saturday of each month. We’ve gone numerous times to admire, now we can bring one up with us!

68PanelTruck 08-15-2020 08:11 PM

Nice truck, love the color.

Sheepdip 08-16-2020 12:45 AM

Nice ride....Welcome Aboard!