The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Driver side freeze plug behind motor mount.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=386507)

cLaWz 02-12-2010 11:12 PM

Driver side freeze plug behind motor mount....

Is there any way to replace this particular freeze plug without removing the motor mount? Just bought an 86 with a 305 that needs this plug replaced but theres no way I'm going to be able to get a jack under the motor safely due to how soft the ground is out on the farm it's sitting at.

Any tricks to getting one of those rubber expandable plugs in there? Would much rather get a temporary fix in place until I can drive it home and safely work on then spend the $200 on towing (Outside city limits so they want to charge a ton more... bleh)

Thanks

cableguy0 02-12-2010 11:33 PM

Re: Driver side freeze plug behind motor mount....

Just make sure you get the right size rubber plug lube it up a bit and it should slide right in. tighten the nut down and fill her up with coolant.its pretty straight forward.

cLaWz 02-12-2010 11:36 PM

Looks like an extremely tight squeeze in that area with no room to turn a wrench to tighten it down... Guess the eyes could be deceiving me.

old Rusty C10 02-12-2010 11:45 PM

maybe with a ratcheting box wrench possibly offset?

Mr.Chevy4x4 02-13-2010 12:35 AM

Nope, I just played this game a couple of weeks ago. You have to remove the motor mount to get to it. Not a fun job any way you slice it! :(

cLaWz 02-13-2010 09:44 AM

Ug, thats what I was afraid of. Ground is so soft here around Austin due to the nearly nonstop rain we have had lately and paying for toying seems kind of stupid since I only paid $500 for the truck lol....

Bleh

OJOE 02-13-2010 10:22 AM

looks like time for 3/4 plywood on ground with the jack on plywood.

old Rusty C10 02-13-2010 10:45 AM

isnt there any concrete you cold move it to?

jitteryguy 02-14-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OJOE (Post 3798107)
looks like time for 3/4 plywood on ground with the jack on plywood.

thats what we do !

old Rusty C10 02-14-2010 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i dunno about wood on the ground like that with a jack that youre expected to go under... i mean heck it dont sound too safe to me... not even if you use these jackstands.....

camshaftgsxr 02-14-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 3800362)
i dunno about wood on the ground like that with a jack that youre expected to go under... i mean heck it dont sound too safe to me... not even if you use these jackstands.....

hahahahahahaha great! plywood and a jack

junkyardjohn 02-14-2010 03:54 PM

THE GOOD NEWS IS.. THAT FROM THIS POINT ON YOU WILL ALWAYS PAY THE EXTRA 4 OR $5 FOR A SET OF BRASS FREEZE PLUGS INSTEAD OF STEEL WHEN YOU'RE BUILDING A MOTOR. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THEM EVEN OFFERING THEM. IT'S NOT MUCH MONEY COMPARED TO A BUTTLOAD OF WORK. :chevy::chevy: JOHN (I REALIZE YOU JUST BOUGHT IT) MATTER OF FACT.... THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE PERFECT TIME TO BUY SOMBODYS TRUCK.

cLaWz 02-16-2010 06:20 PM

Not sure how I am going to get it fixed yet... jack under the motor is what numerous people have suggested that I have talked too since I do not own an engine lift. Do not need to pull both mounts, just the one.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears..

Slofarmtruck 02-16-2010 06:25 PM

As others have mentioned. Thick plywood on the ground with a good jack. Have a 2x4 between the jack and engine, releive some pressure from the motor mount via the jack, remove said motor mount and commence with freeze plug repair. Reinstall motor mount, lower your jack, fill engine with coolant being sure to bleed the system, load the wood and jack in back of your truck and drive away. You are overthinking this simple process. Sometimes you just need to attack the problem and you will be surprised how easy it actually was to repair.