The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Making A New Oil Pressure Line. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=613238)

LockDoc 01-21-2014 09:07 PM

Making A New Oil Pressure Line.

4 Attachment(s)
-
I guess this is where this would go. It's kind of self serving but I think other people might get some use out of it also. It's geared toward the '67-'72 Chevy and GMC's, but should work on anything with a SB and mechanical gauge.
-----------------------------------------

How to make a new oil pressure line for the Chevy small block V-8's, using 1/8” copper tubing, a brass adaptor, and 2 brass compression sleeve nuts. First install the block adapter fitting and snug it down. I would use a small amout of thread sealer or 1 ½ wraps of teflon tape on the threads. Do not over tighten! Then bend the line to the shape shown in the pictures below. The coiled part is 1 1/2 coils that are about 2 ½” in diameter. Just wrap the tubing around an object that is close to that diameter. The coil is needed to absorb vibration and movement of the engine. Once you have the general shape, insert the long straight end of the line through the firewall, then screw the bottom sleeve nut into the block adapter fitting while pushing down on the 1/8" tubing. (do not completely tighten) Then go inside, slide the sleeve nut back on the tubing if you removed it, push the tube inside of the oil pressure gauge as far as it will go and while holding it in, tighten the compression sleeve nut. Then finish tightening the sleeve nut on the block adapter fitting. Do not over tighten these sleeve nuts! About ¾ turn after they are seated should do it. After you start the engine check for leaks at all connections and snug up as needed….

The bottom picture shows the location of the oil pressure port on a small block.

LockDoc

ray_mcavoy 01-21-2014 09:51 PM

Re: Making A New Oil Pressure Line.

Good write up!

I'd just like to add (for anyone that's interested) that those compression sleeve nuts pictured are the type that will fit into the back of most factory GM mechanical oil pressure gauges as well.

They're available from Weatherhead as #6100x2. And the block adapter fitting is #6200x2.

Red65C10 02-04-2014 11:30 PM

Does the lines have to be flared ? What holds them in place if you don't ?

Thanks,

Indian113 02-05-2014 07:18 AM

The compression of the tightening down holds the tubing in. You don't need to flare these.

bigmac73 02-05-2014 11:52 AM

if i wanted to add a secondary back up pressure gage, could i run a line from the front of the engine ? I noticed that there where two small plugs in the front of my block slightly above the water pump

storm9c1 02-05-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac73 (Post 6509468)
if i wanted to add a secondary back up pressure gage, could i run a line from the front of the engine ? I noticed that there where two small plugs in the front of my block slightly above the water pump

What engine?

On a SBC, the only other oil pressure plug is above the oil filter IIRC.

storm9c1 02-05-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red65C10 (Post 6508832)
Does the lines have to be flared ? What holds them in place if you don't ?

Thanks,

It's been a while since I made up new lines, but if I recall, the sleeve nut distorts and bites on the tubing as it's tightened (and makes a seal). Nothing else required.

Bigdav160 02-05-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storm9c1 (Post 6509902)
What engine?

On a SBC, the only other oil pressure plug is above the oil filter IIRC.

I think the one just above the timing cover, on this earlier engine, is also oil.

OK, I'm editing to add another picture with a later block

http://image.superchevy.com/f/techni...ting%2Bl79.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5...koilpreyb1.jpg

ray_mcavoy 02-05-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 6510104)
I think the one just above the timing cover, on this earlier engine, is also oil.

Yes, it is. More info here --> http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...?post/1598732/

pritch 02-05-2014 11:24 PM

I'll be building a new one if I can't get my old one to polish up. 292, but all the fittings are the same.
Thanks, LD!

storm9c1 02-06-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy (Post 6510129)

Cool. Never messed with blocks that early.

richards72chevy 04-06-2014 12:13 AM

Where did you purchase the block adapter LockDoc?

Tx Firefighter 04-06-2014 06:42 AM

Leon did a fantastic article here.

I want to add something else to it.

Auto parts stores are not where you shop for stuff like this. Few parts stores carry this kind of thing anymore. You want to go to a hydraulic shop. They speak this language and will have everything you need without hassle of dealing with a parts guy who isn't familiar with things outside of spark plugs and Christmas Tree air fresheners. I can walk into my local hydraulic shop for these fitting Leon mentioned and walk out with my parts in under 5 minutes total. Try that at Autozone. I learned this about 20 years ago when I was building an oil pressure line. The guy at the hydraulic shop said big trucks use this same stuff on air shifter lines so its commonly bought stuff.

earl84 04-06-2014 10:27 AM

It is a bit** to get to the back of the gauge cluster for removing this line from the oil pressure gauge. Is there some sort of coupling nut for a quick disconnect that can be purchased? I bought a kit but it only has the two end fittings for the engine and the oil pressure gauge, and would REALLY like to have a coupler just into the engine bay for the future.

cableguy0 04-06-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl84 (Post 6614576)
It is a bit** to get to the back of the gauge cluster for removing this line from the oil pressure gauge. Is there some sort of coupling nut for a quick disconnect that can be purchased? I bought a kit but it only has the two end fittings for the engine and the oil pressure gauge, and would REALLY like to have a coupler just into the engine bay for the future.

Yes you could add a union in the line under the hood BUT the fewer connections the better. Each connection is another chance of a leak. You DO NOT want this line leaking. High pressure oil even through a 3/16's line will empty the engine in a hurry.

richards72chevy 04-06-2014 06:24 PM

Im trying to hook up my factory oil gauge and I came up short when I purchased a sunpro tubing kit from autozone.I may just break down and buy the oil pressure gauge and hook it up.

Ironangel 04-07-2014 10:58 AM

Good write up Doc, thanks! ;) I purchased all the parts needed at the local "Ace Hardware"...FireFighter is correct, even the guys working the counter at the NAPA in the neighboring town act like your pulling teeth when they have to look up a fuel pump shaft or a spin-on oil filter adapter for a 72 350 Chevy..."Old School Rules!" ;)

GASoline71 04-07-2014 12:40 PM

I have an Ace Hardware store in my town that is the go to for stuff like this as well.

Awesome write up!!

I had to replace mine about 5 years ago. Since it is a PITA to get to the fitting under the dash, I put a union fitting on mine just outside the firewall in the engine bay. No leaks so far to this day. :)

Gary

LockDoc 04-23-2014 10:24 PM

-
Thanks guys. I have some oil line kits made up in case you can't find the parts.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=613373

LockDoc

Longhorn 70 12-31-2014 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK now I have to clean mine up. I have it with no loop in it. I imagine the vibration could losen the end that fits to the gague. Don't want engine oil squirting the driver some day. Thanks for the write up.

thetruckrman 06-03-2017 09:17 AM

Really good informative thread, gentlemen. Thanks! I have a 1970 C20 Camper Special project that I just began. The oil sender in the 350 SBC was changed by PO to an electric sender. This thread really helps me!!!

Richard2112 12-05-2017 12:05 PM

For the longest time I thought it was my valve covers leaking. After a closer look, sure enough it's the line when the oil pressure fitting goes into the block. Then I thought, these fittings just can't be available any longer.
Great write up Doc. Thanks

GASoline71 12-06-2017 01:49 PM

Lots of applications for these copper lines and 1/8" fittings besides oil lines. These fittings will be around for a long time. :)

Gary

Larry64 10-10-2018 06:58 PM

I'll take one please, for an inline 6. To 37091

LostMy65 10-10-2018 09:55 PM

I had the nylon tubing in my 66, and it became brittle and split and blew oil all over my father-in-laws driveway. :(
I've read of guys having them spray all over under their dash.
I guess that would have been worse.
I'm replacing mine with copper.
However, I have read of some saying that copper may crack from vibration.
Has anyone heard of or had an issue with the copper tubing?