The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Good parts acquisition month for my '62 K10! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=747131)

Brad54 09-23-2017 11:41 AM

Good parts acquisition month for my '62 K10!

Damn, had a good month scrounging parts for my '62 K10 build I'm
Going to start next year!
First, picked up a very, very clean Dana 44 with disc brakes/open knuckles for $125. It even has nice paint, and no rust pits on it.
Then I drove out west to Dieseldude4bt's place and bought a divorced Np205 with crossmember and shifter, Koenig PTO winch and mount, the PTO unit for the t-case and the driveshafts for it. It's all as complete as can be--it'd have taken me years to piece all of it together.
Then on the way back home, I stopped at another place and he had a factory grille guard that's straight, for $75. Hard to find piece, in any condition. I also got a pair of rear tow hooks that aren't factory, but I think they'll work well--they're smaller than the huge factory hooks you find on busses and dump trucks (I've got a pair of those), and they have the bend in them like factory hooks. Two mounting bolts instead of three, so I think they'll fit on the back
Of the truck with the step bumper and receiver hitch easier than the huge ones.
At a third place, I found a set of perfect wiper arms.
A couple months ago, I picked up a set of factory front tow hooks (warthog tusks!), the the front of the truck will have the tusks, a PTO winch and a factory brush guard, and a cut-down-to-fit '61 C60 grille to clear the winch that'll be recessed into the grille to keep the bumper from sticking out a foot.
The hardware was the last stuff unneeded to find to get the project going. The rest is just bonus!

61K10 09-23-2017 01:43 PM

Re: Good parts acquisition month for my '62 K10!

Brad--you had a great day. Sounds like you got some nice parts.

dieseldude4bt 09-23-2017 02:43 PM

Glad you made it home safe with your treasures.

Brad54 09-24-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt (Post 8046231)
Glad you made it home safe with your treasures.

I did! Thanks again for working with me on that set-up, and holding it for me until I was able to get out there.
There's practically no way I'd have been able to put that complete set-up together in any practical way... especially the crossmember! And the winch driveshafts with the key ways on them.
I missed the '61 hood I told you about by 15 minutes.
But I came home with a factory grill guard, and that's going to be a huge addition to the front of the truck.

RANDY COX 09-24-2017 08:16 PM

WOW I'd say you had a really good parts collecting day...Can't wait to see you start your build...I'll surely be watching...

1966 K10 09-26-2017 04:56 AM

Great score! Any pics of the grill guard? Want one for my new ride.

thanks

Brad54 09-26-2017 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a great picture, but it shows the general shape of it.
This one is straight, though the pic makes it look like it's got a few bends.
Visible behind it is the Koenig winch and NP205 T-case!

What's interesting is the top bar on it, is at an angle--it's not square to the ground, it slopes.
More interesting is the bottom piece that bolts to the bumper: it's concave along the entire length, not flat.

In the foreground are a pair of nice wiper arms, and a NOS Vise Grip welding clamp I picked up at an antique shop for $10... it's made on the smaller Number 6-size plier, while the modern ones are on the larger Number 8. It doesn't have the third handle to help spring it apart/unlock it like modern ones do (1970s being "modern"), and it has Patent Applied For stamped in the jaw.
You can never have too man welding clamps, so I always try to grab nice ones when I find them for cheap. This one being a little smaller than the modern ones will be useful.

-Brad