The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   hood vibrate solution (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489596)

vettedad61 10-18-2011 01:17 PM

hood vibrate solution

my hood vibrates on my 72, do they sell something to go between the hood and hood support to stop this?
anyone ever use something homemade or from lowes etc to fix it?
I am looking for something that fits and looks as if it was factory.
Thank you!

shawno72 10-18-2011 01:19 PM

Re: hood vibrate solution

I am looking forward to some answers for this as well.

leddzepp 10-18-2011 01:29 PM

Most vendors carry the pads that squeeze between the hood and the supports...Brothers and LMC have a nice diagram in their catalogs. There are also rubber bumpers and adjustable stops to keep the hood shut tight.

VetteVet 10-18-2011 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's what these little guys are for.

Attachment 816028

beautimus 10-18-2011 02:32 PM

as already said before, make sure the hood is down on the bumpers all the way around first, then yes, most of the vendors sell the pads that go between the support ribs to keep the center of the hood from vibrating up and down in the air stream. i have not seen the foam pieces that go in the bracing above the hood hinges however. But maybe on of the board vendors will chime in about those for us. best of luck to you, Tony

RenoKeene 10-18-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautimus (Post 4960159)
as already said before, make sure the hood is down on the bumpers all the way around first, then yes, most of the vendors sell the pads that go between the support ribs to keep the center of the hood from vibrating up and down in the air stream. i have not seen the foam pieces that go in the bracing above the hood hinges however. But maybe on of the board vendors will chime in about those for us. best of luck to you, Tony

I haven't found the ones above hinges yet but I'll probably get some high density foam sponges, dye them black, cut em the size I want and swedge em in there. ;)

68gmsee 10-18-2011 02:46 PM

Are you referring to the center line of the hood vibrating up and down?

As mentioned above replacing all the rubber pads should eliminate a lot of the movement but one word of caution on the hood brace pads. Use extreme care when prying the brace and the hood apart to insert the pads. These pads are a lot thicker than the ones on the hood now and the hood sheetmetal is easily bent if using the wrong tools.

I made wooden wedges out soft wood and pushed it in to pry the support and hood apart. Any wide wedge that's non metallic should work just don't force it in by hitting it with a hammer. I made a small bump on the top of mine on one side that I had to repair.

squirel 10-18-2011 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If the center vibrates up and down you could do what I did and add an extra brace from an old hood that was rotted out. You do need to cut a section out of the center but it sure strengthens up the hood.

edhtrd71 10-19-2011 12:53 AM

Dont know where to get them but my truck originally had long strips of foam like padding in between the hood and the underhood supports. They kept falling out after I had the hood repainted so I tossed them (stupid I know). My wife asked me the other day at about 85mph is the hood ok? It looks like its gonna open. It would be nice to have them back.

TobyArnot 10-19-2011 07:14 AM

:mm:I have so many little projects going on, but one I'm going to do is make a cross brace from the small channel brace I took out from under the bed when I re-did my exhaust. That hood "bowing" in the middle is not necessary. I've checked it out and have a design in my head. BUT, like I said, too many others in line. I'll do pics when I get there. Should be mostly time, not much money - My kind of project!

68gmsee 10-19-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edhtrd71 (Post 4961237)
Dont know where to get them but my truck originally had long strips of foam like padding in between the hood and the underhood supports. They kept falling out after I had the hood repainted so I tossed them (stupid I know). My wife asked me the other day at about 85mph is the hood ok? It looks like its gonna open. It would be nice to have them back.

Read previous posts above....

pritch 10-19-2011 09:30 PM

I'm going to face this issue pretty soon myself. I wonder if you could get it braced where you want it and then use a urethane caulk or something. I would think that would be strong and permanent. Just one of those random thoughts that run through my mind sometimes.:lol:

67swb72klb 10-19-2011 09:40 PM

i have seen problems with urethane (no give) and seem to suck the skin down imo i would stay with the foam

pritch 10-20-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67swb72klb (Post 4962773)
i have seen problems with urethane (no give) and seem to suck the skin down imo i would stay with the foam

Makes sense to me, I'll stay with the foam.

mbgmike 10-21-2011 11:43 AM

use the spray foam like they use in new vehicles now. Thats what its for. Unless you want an original look

alsriv2 10-22-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirel (Post 4960654)
If the center vibrates up and down you could do what I did and add an extra brace from an old hood that was rotted out. You do need to cut a section out of the center but it sure strengthens up the hood.

That center brace is exactly what I need for my 2 trucks.
Where can I find that brace? I have not seen them on any chevy hood before, so I am not sure what you are referring to when a "old hood rotted out".

What make/model vehicle was the donor for your application?

Thanks!

Alan

71sierragrande 10-22-2011 10:17 AM

The old man used to have wood shims wedged in his '71 Cheyenne. Looked totally factory! (kidding) :lol::lol::lol: But it worked for an old DD...

squirel 10-22-2011 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The center brace is just one of the side braces cut down. I circled the side brace I used for the center brace below. I just had a old 67 hood that was rotted and had a fan go through it so I just cut one of the braces off it and then cut a piece out of it the middle to shorten it and the welded it up

Andy4639 10-22-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgmike (Post 4965446)
use the spray foam like they use in new vehicles now. Thats what its for. Unless you want an original look

Can I ask what you speak of and do you have a link for it.;):chevy:

squirel 10-22-2011 11:17 AM

Andy4639 here is one 3m makes
http://www.azautobodysupply.com/duflfo046flo.html

Andy4639 10-22-2011 11:23 AM

So you wouldn't be scared the stuff pushes out the hood when it rises. I was thinking tape one side of the brace off and fill with this stuff would help. Then cut off the rest that extends past the brace edge. This would also give it some place to go besides up. It will go to the least resistance right. So if one side is left open the foam would not push the hood away from the brace just fill the area between.;):chevy:

68gmsee 10-22-2011 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my attempt a few years ago at fixing the bow on an extra hood that I have. I gave up and haven't finished it but it looks like with a little massaging like bending the 1" square tube to conform to the hood, some rubber padding and tack welds or bolts, it would do the job.

I like squirel's method...

squirel 10-22-2011 11:37 AM

It does not push a lot I would just put it in there and let it expand out the brace and then trim it off after wards. This is the same stuff they use on factory vehicles and if it does not warp the metal on a flimsy honda civic hood it is not going to on one of our hoods ;)

vettedad61 10-23-2011 10:55 AM

This what I am going to buy to fix mine...Brothers trucks catolog on page 35 1-800-977-2767 Thanks for all the help and info
http://i53.tinypic.com/2n6bs04.jpg