The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Door Panel renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=778753)

landarts 01-01-2019 05:49 PM

Door Panel renew

2 Attachment(s)
Bought these at the local pick-a-part a few years ago for $10 each. They were in good shape, each of them had an extra hole where the previous owner added an additional screw. Also one panel had a very small burn/melt flaw where someone probably drop a cigarette and burned it.

I scrubbed them both down with a 1/1 mixture of hot water and simple green and a hard bristle carpet brush. Wiped them down with grease and wax remover and they looked splotching from the chemical. So I did another round of Simple Green and hot water. After they dried they looked much better so I spray down the areas for repair with a coat of SEM plastic adhesion promoter let that flash and then a few coats of SEM texture spray. Before the texture was dry I blotted it with a wrinkled up piece of saran wrap to simulate the existing texture for the repair area which was only about 1/4 of inch square. Next after the texture dried I sprayed both panels with SEM adhesion promoter and let it flash. Followed by three coats of SEM color coat.

I am very happy how they turned out and will be installing in the next couple of days. SEM products have it down to a science and make it look like new again. I am a big fan of there system. First picture is the before picture and second of he completed process.

71gmcC15 01-01-2019 06:44 PM

Re: Door Panel renew

Good job they look like new .Wish i could actually get thouse style door panals but i have a 71. All whell steel panels are fine. I gess.

FRCvette 01-01-2019 07:39 PM

Amazing. I would have thought they where new. Nice job.

Red71gmc 01-01-2019 07:59 PM

They look good. Thanks for the post. I was wondering about those products and the different steps needed.

landarts 01-02-2019 01:52 PM

The pictures look a little like there is a gloss to it, I think the garage lighting did that. The black I used is more of a satin to match really well with factory items like my new black buddy bucket seat covers. When I put it next to them the sheen looks right.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-02-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8417962)
Bought these at the local pick-a-part a few years ago for $10 each. They were in good shape, each of them had an extra hole where the previous owner added an additional screw. Also one panel had a very small burn/melt flaw where someone probably drop a cigarette and burned it.

I scrubbed them both down with a 1/1 mixture of hot water and simple green and a hard bristle carpet brush. Wiped them down with grease and wax remover and they looked splotching from the chemical. So I did another round of Simple Green and hot water. After they dried they looked much better so I spray down the areas for repair with a coat of SEM plastic adhesion promoter let that flash and then a few coats of SEM texture spray. Before the texture was dry I blotted it with a wrinkled up piece of saran wrap to simulate the existing texture for the repair area which was only about 1/4 of inch square. Next after the texture dried I sprayed both panels with SEM adhesion promoter and let it flash. Followed by three coats of SEM color coat.

I am very happy how they turned out and will be installing in the next couple of days. SEM products have it down to a science and make it look like new again. I am a big fan of there system. First picture is the before picture and second of he completed process.

You're hired;) From what I see they're better than new.

Ken1972 07-17-2022 11:51 AM

what color did you use ? Satin Black ?

landarts 07-17-2022 03:19 PM

SEM Satin Black 15243 was the color used.

Ken1972 07-18-2022 10:47 AM

thanks for replying, thats what i thought, just wanted to be sure