The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624544)

1972 Jimmy 08-10-2014 07:35 PM

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 6795926)
Thanks for posting. Very nice job on the roll cage! Not sure this applies to you but I've seen guys who often off-road in sand (dunes) weld plates across the top to keep from sinking in if the truck rolls.

Never really thought of that! I don't plan on doing any hard wheeling with it. If this thing rolls in the sand I'll have more problems than it sinking in!!!:lol: The main reason for the roll cage is to be able to go out with the family ( Wife and 2 little ones 3yrs & 6yrs) on the michigan state park dunes with no hard top on. Park rules state that behind every row of seating there must be support structure over head. Also the wife wants to drive it around town during the summer with the kids. Safety first!!!

1972 Jimmy 08-10-2014 07:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rckymtnhi (Post 6795861)
Man, that cage looks awesome! Any chance you could post a couple of more pictures?

Here is some more pics for you!
Attachment 1288089

Attachment 1288090

Attachment 1288091

Attachment 1288092

Attachment 1288093

rckymtnhi 08-10-2014 10:27 PM

Looking GOOD! That's just what I need - I'm re-motivated! :metal:

orange72blazer 08-11-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy (Post 6796626)
Here is some more pics for you!

Is that a Bronco Bob roll cage? If so how do you like it? I have been thinking of getting one but wanted to see what one looked like installed in a Blazer, the pics on there website don't really show much.

Wasted Income 08-11-2014 09:47 AM

YES!! More pics/info on the cage! I have been trying to think up a design that would look good in my 2wd, and I think that might be it!

1972 Jimmy 08-11-2014 07:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orange72blazer (Post 6797308)
Is that a Bronco Bob roll cage? If so how do you like it? I have been thinking of getting one but wanted to see what one looked like installed in a Blazer, the pics on there website don't really show much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6797329)
YES!! More pics/info on the cage! I have been trying to think up a design that would look good in my 2wd, and I think that might be it!

Hey guys,
Yes the majority of this cage is from "Bronco Bob's" (BB's). Bob bends all the tubing (2" DOM .120 thick) up for you, all you have to do is cut and notch the tubes to length. The portion of the cage in the bed is all bent tubing from BB's. However, I ended up not using the front tubes going down the windshield frame. No fault of BB's. I was not specific when I ordered the cage stating that I needed clearance for the A/C vents in the dash. I could of used BB's front tubes they would have just come straight down to the into the door opening to allow clearance for the A/C vents. So, I had the front tubes bent (1.75 DOM .120 thick here in my home town) to clear the A/C vents and allow more foot clearance getting in/out of the truck. Also, I added two bends in the upper horizontal windshield bar to get more head clearance and also allow the use of the sunvisors.

Overall very happy with the BB's set up!!

Just a couple of helpful fab'ing tips....I ran into struggles trying to fit a cage under multiple tops (original double wall, original single wall and a Softopper)
I started out installing the cage with the plan of having it fit under a double wall and a softopper. So I started with the double wall on the truck thinking the cage would be a tighter fit. Which the sides were very tight!!! When putting on the softopper the cage was way to tall to clear the softopper support bows. I had to drop the middle hoop 2" in order to clear to Softopper front two bows. So everything was great in till I found a single wall top on craigslist. I bought it wanting to replace the double wall. Well.....believe it or not the single wall cage will not fit under the cage unless you significantly shorten the height of the hoops or have BB's bend the hoops to a lesser width. So when our ordering from BB's make sure you state if you have AC or a double vs single wall top!!
One last thing you might want to keep in mind when you fab'ing up the mounting plates, you might want to keep the outside edges within the bedside rails so that you can pull the entire cage out of the truck to paint it or remove it for any reason.
If you guys want any more specific pics let me know!!!
Hope this novel helps!!:lol:
Eric

Attachment 1288371

Attachment 1288372

Attachment 1288373

Attachment 1288374

Attachment 1288375

Wasted Income 08-12-2014 09:38 AM

Eric,

Thanks for the info! Can you elaborate a bit more about what you've got going on with the cage to frame connections? I think I see what you're up to, but some pics of the finished product would be great when you get them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy (Post 6795121)
fab'd up roll cage to fame connectors this morning for the four rear posts.
Attachment 1287697

Dale99 08-12-2014 09:53 PM

Got a large summit order in. Finished putting my transcase back together after 3+ weeks of waiting on various parts from different places.

asolde 09-06-2014 12:22 PM

TTT... I been working on my factory air conditioning. I replaced the POA valve, the expansion valve,the water control valve and the reciever dryer, servise the system back up with R-12. I am getting about 54* at best. That's all I am going to that system for awhile.
I put on some new front brake pads today semi easy job. Next I am going to put a new engine in it as soon as it cools down here in Houston TX.

DeadheadNM 09-06-2014 02:49 PM

Nothing recent on my Blazer. Not sure I'll have time before it snows but would really like to install the slider rear windows. I've been tinkering with a 1/2 ton LWB 1972 GMC 4wd I recently got: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6801778

Senorx 09-06-2014 06:31 PM

Are you able to roll up and down your windows? There appears to be clearance issues with the window crank on your picture or could just be the angle of the picture. @1972 Jimmy

asolde 09-06-2014 06:31 PM

That's a cool truck Pete. I'm always looking around for trucks. I like them 4x4's

Dale99 09-06-2014 07:34 PM

Put my radiator in, lower hose. Then put cup on my replacement fender, filled all my welds up, sanded down and some rattle can primer on them to keep from rusting over night.

1972 Jimmy 09-06-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senorx (Post 6832600)
Are you able to roll up and down your windows? There appears to be clearance issues with the window crank on your picture or could just be the angle of the picture. @1972 Jimmy

You are correct! that is the only downfall with the cage. It's really tight to the door. I need to open up the door to roll up and down the windows. not that big a deal for me, we will only be driving it in the summer.

Rocketman72 09-09-2014 06:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally painted last week, new bumper and grille added yesterday.

Attachment 1299735

Attachment 1299736

Attachment 1299737

Mefford7 09-10-2014 03:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Brought my pasture find home.
A lady I work with overheard me talking about wanting a 1st Gen Blazer or Jimmy and said "I think my husband has one of those out behind the barn. You can probably have it if you will just come get it'.
I picked it up today!:chevy:

Custom 68 09-10-2014 03:21 PM

that is so not right... lol, nice score.

grillzy 09-10-2014 04:29 PM

Nice score!

62 short step 09-10-2014 05:56 PM

Wow!! Nice score!

Senorx 09-10-2014 07:12 PM

Why don't these things happen to me? Nice!! Congrats on your barn find.

I spy 3 things I'll buy from you if you are going to scrap them. The spare tire carrier, front buckets and that factory air cleaner.

DeadheadNM 09-10-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mefford7 (Post 6837826)
Brought my pasture find home.
A lady I work with overheard me talking about wanting a 1st Gen Blazer or Jimmy and said "I think my husband has one of those out behind the barn. You can probably have it if you will just come get it'.
I picked it up today!:chevy:

Nice!! Are the shoulder belts listed on the SPID?

jaros44sr 09-11-2014 04:17 AM

Can t beat the price with a stick....what are your plans for it? Nice find, ya never know where these things will turn up

Mefford7 09-13-2014 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 6838279)
Nice!! Are the shoulder belts listed on the SPID?

Not unless they are part of one of the packages.

69chevytrucker 09-13-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy (Post 6832926)
You are correct! that is the only downfall with the cage. It's really tight to the door. I need to open up the door to roll up and down the windows. not that big a deal for me, we will only be driving it in the summer.

you could always change to power windows

Mefford7 09-13-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senorx (Post 6838067)
Why don't these things happen to me? Nice!! Congrats on your barn find.

I spy 3 things I'll buy from you if you are going to scrap them. The spare tire carrier, front buckets and that factory air cleaner.

I plan on using them. But if things change I'll let you know! (and as many times as I've already changed my dream/direction already, there's a good chance)