The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help with roof repair (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761501)

STOCKISH 04-10-2018 06:42 PM

Help with roof repair
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! I am currently building a 86 GMC crew cab. However the roof had something sitting on it at some point and there is a dip in the roof. It’s not “horrible” but it’s way more than I’d like to be there. And more than it looks like in the pics. I have removed the I side trim and removed the headliner to access. But there is an inner panel there as well. I’d like not to cut that panel out to access the outer skin, what are my options here? Thanks for any help guys.

STOCKISH 04-15-2018 06:22 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
Anything??

PDW HOTRODS 04-15-2018 06:32 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
I would try a few suction cups for glass, clean the roof and they should stick. Motorcycle tie downs to some rafters or something overhead, pull up, and tap around the edges lightly with body hammer.

6erWebb 04-15-2018 07:54 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
Yeah its kinda hard to tell but if you dont have any hard creases some suction cups will pull it out. Metal has a memory all you need to do is coax it back to its home. If you see wrinkles though like the source of a dent youre in for a little hammer dollie work. in which case youll need to cut out that inner panel to access.

andyh1956 04-16-2018 12:07 AM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS (Post 8239140)
I would try a few suction cups for glass, clean the roof and they should stick. Motorcycle tie downs to some rafters or something overhead, pull up, and tap around the edges lightly with body hammer.

This is what I would try PLUS drill some holes in the inner panel & squirt some foam insulation in there. It will expand & once it sets up you can remove the suction / traction apparatus & it should stay.
By the way my son lives in Franklin!

esbstuff 04-16-2018 10:58 AM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
Try here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572601

tinydb84 04-16-2018 12:35 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyh1956 (Post 8239435)
This is what I would try PLUS drill some holes in the inner panel & squirt some foam insulation in there. It will expand & once it sets up you can remove the suction / traction apparatus & it should stay.
By the way my son lives in Franklin!

Do not use foam insulation. It will hold moisture and rust the roof out in no time.

Use a stud gun and hammer work. Put your high crown areas back in place first and see what you have left afterwards. It will be a bit more difficult without having access on the back side to do dolly work but you can do it.

BLP86 04-16-2018 03:01 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKISH (Post 8235264)
Hey guys! I am currently building a 86 GMC crew cab. However the roof had something sitting on it at some point and there is a dip in the roof. It’s not “horrible” but it’s way more than I’d like to be there. And more than it looks like in the pics. I have removed the I side trim and removed the headliner to access. But there is an inner panel there as well. I’d like not to cut that panel out to access the outer skin, what are my options here? Thanks for any help guys.

STOCKISH
Here are 3 pics of the work I had to have done after I had the cab stripped and found out that someone had bashed the roof in, then filled it with body filler. I think I know who the sob was that did it but that is another story. The roof was pulled successfully, with minimal filler for final finish.
BLP

Wgesnerjr 04-16-2018 04:36 PM

Re: Help with roof repair
 
I would try a paintless dent repair outfit. They can do wonders.

If not, the suction cup thing would be good. I have tried to use Harbor Freight ones with no luck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com