The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Lolife 2wd Blazer/ n2billet/ Twisted Gear Project. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=714391)

lolife99 08-06-2016 06:22 PM

Lolife 2wd Blazer/ n2billet/ Twisted Gear Project.

1 Attachment(s)
Since I never had an official build thread for my '71 2wd blazer,... I was convinced to start one now.
The only thread on here is when I bagged it years ago.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=325055

I don't consider myself a "truck builder" like all the talented people on this forum that build these trucks from the frame up,... But I am a truck enthusist.
I've had several nice 67-72 and 73-87 trucks. Even some really nice oem and NOS parts,... But for one reason or another I've sold them off.

Member hot trux got a really nice 99% rust free cab and other parts and built a beautiful '68 short stepside. He also got my last 1970 stepside Porterbuilt project aka Ginger. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618905

Right after I bagged my blazer I met some really cool board members from Texas at the old Kansas Speedway Goodguys event.
(n2billet, SCOTI, STP6772, and Roger from RPL Customs)
I later sold n2billet a really clean '71 short fleetside truck.
And last year I sold him "Project NO-LIFE", my '69 swb 292/auto Custom/10.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=338655

When n2billet was arranging shipment of my truck, we some how got on the subject of fixing the rust on my blazer. I consider it a "keeper", but you know how that goes.

So both my '69 and the blazer were picked up by Keith's buddy Spot, at Twenty 2 Transport, LLC.

lolife99 08-06-2016 06:50 PM

Re: Lolife 2wd Blazer/ n2billet/ Twisted Gear Project.

1 Attachment(s)
I will use this thread to track the progress at Keith's (n2billet's) Twisted Gear shop in Texas.
He's the only one I trust to do the rust repair and rocker box replacements.

I may also post on Instagram.
You can follow us both at @loliffe99 and @n2billet.

lolife99 08-06-2016 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The blazer had some old bodywork that was bubbling on the lower bedside in front of the wheel. (Where they all rust)
I purchased replacement sheetmetal and rocker boxes, from a few sources, one being Wes at Classic Heartbeat Truck Parts. He has few hard to find blazer specific pieces and is great to deal with. Plus he's a board member/vendor here.

So the plan is to replace the inner and outer rockers, the lower bedside piece, and paint everything below the lower mouldings.
That also means new woodgrain lower mouldings from Mar-K out of Oklahoma City, OK.

lolife99 08-06-2016 07:06 PM

Then all new emblems, NOS door handles, NOS sport mirrors, a new woodgrain tailgate band will, be installed at Twisted Gear.
The decision was made to add Vintage Air, since the old a/c has never worked,... and a Boyd's Welding fuel cell.

C10_ustacould 08-06-2016 07:41 PM

Although we don't talk much anymore I've been keeping an eye out for this one. As far as you not being a truck builder I understand where you're coming from, I'm not a builder either. But don't let that undermine your importance to the truck community, this board, and your fellow truck nutz! You have a wealth of knowledge with regard to these trucks and many of the common modifications we make to them. You have bailed me out several times and it is appreciated. I'm sure there are many others. Anyway, I am very happy maybe even ecstatic to see your Blazer getting some love, and I'm sure Keith (n2billet) will do and outstanding job. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.

lolife99 08-06-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 7675692)
Although we don't talk much anymore I've been keeping an eye out for this one. As far as you not being a truck builder I understand where you're coming from, I'm not a builder either. But don't let that undermine your importance to the truck community, this board, and your fellow truck nutz! You have a wealth of knowledge with regard to these trucks and many of the common modifications we make to them. You have bailed me out several times and it is appreciated. I'm sure there are many others. Anyway, I am very happy maybe even ecstatic to see your Blazer getting some love, and I'm sure Keith (n2billet) will do and outstanding job. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.

Thanks for the kind words.
As you know life changes your priorities, but I want to "finish" the blazer, even if I don't go to cars show or cruises much anymore.
Keith has the passion for these trucks that I use to have,... and the unbelieveable skill set that I NEVER had.
I understand his style and thought process on how these trucks should look, and he has the ability to pull it off, time and time again.
I'm just lucky he took on this project.

lolife99 08-06-2016 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Day one on this project started last week,... and this is all done in n2billet's spare time.
It's not his full time job.

RH rocker replacement under way and front clip off.

invicta455 08-06-2016 09:53 PM

Off to a great start I'm def watching this one

Willowrun 08-06-2016 10:00 PM

You've helped me with your knowledge along the way so definitely in for following your project.

C10_ustacould 08-06-2016 10:31 PM

It's amazing how much crap comes out of a rocker when you remove it!

Malamute 08-06-2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 7675692)

Well said, Ernie! Keith has helped me more than he could ever know.

lolife99 08-06-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malamute (Post 7675857)
Well said, Ernie! Keith has helped me more than he could ever know.

Thanks.
I heard you were hanging with hot trux and Ginger today,... At the NSRA Street Rod Nationals.
I didn't realize you were in Louisville now.

Malamute 08-06-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 7675886)
Thanks.
I heard you were hanging with hot trux and Ginger today,... At the NSRA Street Rod Nationals.

Yup. We are back in the Ville now. It was nice meeting him, nothing but nice people in the car community! Can't wait to see how the Blazer turns out.

GAc10boy 08-06-2016 11:07 PM

I'm in for this one. I absolutely love this blazer, especially the medium olive w/ white top. As others have stated above, we've all learned a lot from you and I'm sure this thread will unveil more good info (especially with n2billet involved too). Looking forward to updates.

C10_ustacould 08-06-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 7675886)
Thanks.

Ooh Stella Mae is going to end up with an extreme drop... :lol:

lolife99 08-06-2016 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this pic today from n2billet.
Way more complicated fitting the rocker box panels and the inner and outer rockers.

tommys72 08-06-2016 11:34 PM

im in to watch this one too

jaros44sr 08-07-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 7675854)
It's amazing how much crap comes out of a rocker when you remove it!

X2, glad I'm past that part, nastiest part of a build. I'll follow along

darkhorse970 08-07-2016 09:27 AM

I'm certainly in for this one!

jjzepplin 08-07-2016 10:51 AM

Hope you don't mind me tagging along as well. I have to do this too. And amazingly all the same places...

FRENCHBLUE72 08-07-2016 11:36 AM

Good to her getting some love

68basket 08-07-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malamute (Post 7675890)
Yup. We are back in the Ville now. It was nice meeting him, nothing but nice people in the car community! Can't wait to see how the Blazer turns out.

Dan, Sorry i missed you yesterday.

This blazer is going to be sweet..

smbrouss70 08-07-2016 09:42 PM

I'm definitely watching this one. I got lucky on mine and only had to do the inner and outer rocker on the driver's side.

youngrodder 08-07-2016 10:29 PM

following along...Lookin good so far..

Marc

gringoloco 08-07-2016 10:34 PM

In to see the progress. Will it get buffed, or patina-matched?