The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   250 6 cylinder won't start (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=154148)

mdoncall 05-03-2005 11:20 PM

250 6 cylinder won't start

Great to find a website for Chevy truck owners and i could sure use some help from any and all with a motor prob i have.I have a 1972 Chevy C/10 with the original 250 six banger in it.The truck has been sitting for four years without being ran and i recently decided to put it back in use and start a restore project on it.The truck was running fine when it was last ran four years ago.I'll try to keep this brief and not take up too much space here.I have installed new plugs,points,condenser,plug wires,coil,dist.cap and a rotor button.She still won't run.I made sure the rotor button was installed correctly and the points gapped right and the firing order was right.I'm at an end and don't have a clue as to what to check next.Sorry for the lengthy post but any and all help is much appreciated.

VetteVet 05-04-2005 01:40 AM

Well you mentioned the ignition system but what about fuel and compression. Are you getting a spark? Did you clean out the fuel tank, put in a new filter and clean the carb. You could have some valves stuck open. Did you change the oil and filter. You should. I would pull the valve cover and see if all the valves are moving.

Fred T 05-04-2005 02:36 AM

Vette asks some good questions. Start with the basics.

Fuel. Does the carb squirt fuel when the throttle is pumped? If not, check the flow by disconnecting the fuel line and pumping into a container by cranking the engine. No flow, check the lines, filter and pump.

Ignition. Remove a spark plug that you can lay on a grounded surface and crank the engine. No spark, remove the distributor cap and see if the points are opening. Use a voltmeter and start checking voltages, making sure you have power in and out of the coil and distributor.

If you have fuel and spark, check your plug wires for the proper order. The firing order is 1-5-3-4-2-6. #1 on the cap is about 2 o'clock, the spot closest to the #1 plug. Go clockwise on the firing order. As long as you didn't move the distributor the timing should be okay, but that is next to check.

VetteVet 05-04-2005 01:14 PM

Fred he said he has the 250 six banger , isn't that the inline six? What would the firing order be for that?

79C10 05-04-2005 01:49 PM

The 250 is an inline six.

My bet is on the carburator. sitting for four years has no doubt dried out some of the gaskets in the carb not to mention other places. I bet it needs to be rebuilt. I would check spark first and if you have spark the dump a little gas down the carb and then see if she'll fire up.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-06-2005 01:43 AM

1-5-3-6-2-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteVet
Fred he said he has the 250 six banger , isn't that the inline six? What would the firing order be for that?

1_5_3_6_2_4. Clockwise Firing Order.
Clockwise to ADV, CCW to retard.
HTH