The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=456163)

Captainfab 11-10-2011 01:17 AM

Re: my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70

Congrats on the new job with more $$, that is always a good thing.

fryer1979 11-10-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5000066)
well i will be slacking on the truck for awhile, will try to update when i can, i started a new job last night! so, i'll be working nights 6 days a week for who knows how long, i'm happy to get more hours plus the pay so thats good! i'm still going to try to finish the rear bag plates and still do the bumpers before winter, i hope!! i wont be doing anything this sunday its my daugthers b-day so i wont be working on the truck this weekend!! will let you know how things go!!

Congrats man, hopefully this job works out well for you. Things should settle down a bit after a while, so here's to it not taking too long for ya. How close are you to the Oklahoma City area? I've got a couple friends out there.

flips72 11-10-2011 08:23 AM

good luck with the new job, just think about all that overtime money you can pour into your truck :lol: hope your daughter has a wonderful bd.

chad64chevy 11-10-2011 02:12 PM

thanks guys for the comments! flip- thanks for the b-day comment, the bad thing about the extra money is x-mas is right around the corner, i know the wife will have plans for it then, i dont think it envolves my truck,lol!! fryer- i live like somewhere around 3-3 1/2 hrs. from okc, depends on whos driving and if i have the kids in the car,lol!! i'm only 15-25mins. from fort smith, ark. if that helps! well i've done 2 nights so far and its not bad just got to get used to the night thing!!

allaboutchevelles 11-10-2011 04:44 PM

congrats on the job. I worked 3rd shift 10pm-6:30am for like 3 1/2 years and I didnt mind it, my only problem was the switch back for the weekends. The big BUT here is that was before kids. Good luck.

chad64chevy 11-11-2011 06:29 PM

allabout- thanks, i did work as a mixer for a cracker factory, the made saltines, graham crackers, ritz, multi-grain, all kinds! i used to work 3rd. shift for 4 1/2 years 11-7 sometimes 7-7 or 11-11 or 11-3 or 3-7! 12's and 16's 7 days a week for 2yrs straight, those 2yrs were ruff! i had to do unemployment for a little while this year! one reason i was able to get some work done on the truck thru out the week, and the reason for the new job! my mom is helping with the kids, and my wife has worked 3rd shift for 6yrs. now at the cracker factory! my new job hours are wierd a 40 hour week is like this: sunday 8pm-7am, monday-wednesday 1am-7am, friday 2am-1pm still is 6 days aweek! the overtime i can get will be monday-wednesday, they dont want to give overtime friday or sunday, its a chicken plant, they make breast, thighs, hotdogs, chicken nuggets, stuff like that! i like it so far just still trying to make the change over!

flips72 11-11-2011 06:35 PM

a chicken plant hmmmmm, i know where the 1st annual 60-66 forum cookout will be held this year,:lol: hope things go good for you at your new job, its been a tough year for lots of folks.

McMurphy 11-12-2011 02:41 AM

Congrats on the job!
Once you get into the rhythm of things you will get back to the truck. I am sure it will miss you but will wait patiently .... not like the rest of US !!

LOL just kidding.
Hope to see more from you soon tho!

chad64chevy 11-12-2011 08:51 PM

thanks mcmurphy, i still got plans for my truck before winter gets here which will be about four weeks give or take! i still got my bumpers to do and get the grille support and grille on, and finish my rear bag brackets, atleast thats the plan for now! hopefully i'll get the bumpers and rear bag brackets done next weekend!

57truckguy 11-21-2011 03:19 AM

:metal:Chad headers will be cool.. I've just kept the cast iron OEM for now. the adjustabe peddle rod is a slick answer to a common problem.. very nice..:cong::wop: don;t be offended just fooling around.. LOL

chad64chevy 11-22-2011 06:08 PM

lol, i'm not offended! thanks for taking the time to read my thread and post! i really dont have much to update, but i did start my rear bag brackets! while i was at work the other night i was talking to an old friend i use to work with at my old job and his dad works there to, but anyway we all were waiting in the break room to go home and his dad told me of a salvageyard about 10-15 miles from my house and how to get there! so anyways i know what i'm going to be doing this weekend and if i cant get out there i will next weekend for sure! his dad told me he knows for sure he as about 5-10 60-66 trucks, a few chevelles, camaros, alot of old chevy and ford iron from the 60's-70's as of the 3 weeks ago, im going to see if the guy has any big back glass, and maybe a few other parts i might be able to get off him! i was also told he will not crash a car unless there is nothing left, and the guys pretty fair on his prices! sorry no pictures or real updates but hopefully i will have some pictures this weekend of what i've done and of the salvage yard!

chad64chevy 11-24-2011 02:33 PM

well for anyone that reads this today, happy thanksgiving!! i'm leaving now to go do something to my truck and eat dinner, since my trucks at my g-mas and that where we are having thanksgiving dinner, kill two birds with one stone, lol!

Alan's Classic 11-24-2011 02:37 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I've been working on mine, but had to quit to go eat dinner at my stepmoms. Hope you can make some good progress. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

flips72 11-24-2011 05:23 PM

happy thanksgiving to you and yours, we are at the inlaws now, going home soon and time to get back to work.

McMurphy 11-24-2011 05:34 PM

My wife and I are both orphans now, and career soldiers with no kids (not to sound like a lonely crybaby mind you...LOL) so the holidays are usually just a string of much needed days off from work for us.

It is noon-thirty here now I am headed down to the garage as soon as I finish reading everyones updates to their threads on this site!

Wooooo Hoooooo gonna get some stuff done now!

Happy Thanksgiving man!

chad64chevy 11-25-2011 08:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well yesterday was a short day for working on the truck! i put block off plate on the header ports for now and i checked to see how my bag plates were going to look! today i welded the bag plates up and i welded the bolts on the rear bumper and welded the square holes in! tomorrow i'm going to weld the front bumper bolts and fill the square holes in and then i'm going weld the front frame horns to the 1/4" plate i have bolted to the front of the frame! then i'll grind and wire wheel everything down, clean and paint them! so on to the pictures of what i've done!

SCOTI 11-25-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5030545)
well yesterday was a short day for working on the truck! i put block off plate on the header ports for now and i checked to see how my bag plates were going to look! today i welded the bag plates up and i welded the bolts on the rear bumper and welded the square holes in! tomorrow i'm going to weld the front bumper bolts and fill the square holes in and then i'm going weld the front frame horns to the 1/4" plate i have bolted to the front of the frame! then i'll grind and wire wheel everything down, clean and paint them! so on to the pictures of what i've done!

For future reference, try welding the bolts to a piece of 3/16 or 1/4" plate, weld the plate to the bumper, & weld the factory bumper holes up. It's better this way so that if you slightly over-tighten the bumper bolts upon installation so they don't come loose, it won't distort/tweak the bumper surface (chrome or paint).

chad64chevy 11-25-2011 09:19 PM

i took carriage bolts, grinded down the dome and then welded them on! i didnt want there to be to big of a gap between the rest of the bumper surface and the braces! that would cause the bumpers to sit out further away from the frame, causing a bigger gap between the bumpers and the panels on the truck, atleast thats what i was thinking when i started welding everything!

SCOTI 11-25-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5030647)
i took carriage bolts, grinded down the dome and then welded them on! i didnt want there to be to big of a gap between the rest of the bumper surface and the braces! that would cause the bumpers to sit out further away from the frame, causing a bigger gap between the bumpers and the panels on the truck, atleast thats what i was thinking when i started welding everything!

You weld the plate right where the bolt goes so the 'gap' difference is only the thickness of the plate. The diff is, instead of all the stress being isolated to that one 1/2 hole, you can spread it out to something like a 3"x3" square. That greater area would have less chance of flexing vs. the single 1/2" welded stud.

The way you did it works, just be careful & keep the suggestion in mind (I learned from the school of hard knocks....).

chad64chevy 11-25-2011 09:45 PM

ok cool, that makes sense! i'm still learning about welding to so i learn something new every day! i'm hoping i never have to pull anything or have weight on the bumpers, but if the welds start to crack or anything i will redo them with the plate, thanks for the info. and the heads up!

SCOTI 11-25-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5030688)
ok cool, that makes sense! i'm still learning about welding to so i learn something new every day! i'm hoping i never have to pull anything or have weight on the bumpers, but if the welds start to crack or anything i will redo them with the plate, thanks for the info. and the heads up!

It's usually not 'you' that you have to worry about.....

I did the bumpers on my 68 the way you're doing them now & then PC'd them satin black. One day after work, a co-worker was trying to be funny & barely.... barely.... tapped their rubber cushioned bumper to mine as a joke. It was enough of a tap (because of the vehicle weights) that the spots where the bolts were welded up were now all clearly visible even though it didn't actually harm anything.

chad64chevy 11-27-2011 06:13 PM

well i didnt get anything done yesterday it rained off and on all day, and today i have to work so i didnt do anything but spend time with the family! i'm going to buy some more parts for the truck this week, the wife is buying me the complete lock set for x-mas which is cool! i still got to go see about the salvage yard my friend told me about and see if they have some parts for the truck i will be doing that hopefully tuesday or wednesday after i get off work

chad64chevy 12-01-2011 03:23 PM

wow, over 200 views and 1 person commented this week, lol! on a more serious note i went to the salvage yard and asked if they had a big back window, when didnt know and the old man of the place wont be there til sunday! i got the number to the place this time i went out there, its 12 miles from my house one way! i guy at work told me of a 64-66 bbw cab thats suppost to be the next town over and i couldnt find it at all today! anyways i'll update this weekend if i found out anything!!

Alan's Classic 12-01-2011 03:36 PM

Make that 2 comments this week. :lol: persistance pays off when hunting parts. It's like a treasure hunt. Keep at it. Wasn't it you that pm'd me about my visors? The upholstery guy just told mem to buy new ones. They should be here any day.
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 12-01-2011 04:11 PM

ya that was me, when you get them would you post a picture or two of them for me thanks!