The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Why are the rear wheels on a 1975 Blazer inset (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779768)

eighteenninetytwo 01-18-2019 03:46 PM

Why are the rear wheels on a 1975 Blazer inset

as in the rear wheels are not as far apart as the front. does anyone know why the K5 was designed this way?

sweetk30 01-18-2019 03:56 PM

Re: Why are the rear wheels on a 1975 Blazer inset

almost all vehicles have the rear narrower than the front to cut the turning circle / radius down .

matched front / rear width = 5 acre field to turn around .

rear narrower by just a few inches cuts down the size of the circle = 3 acre field to turn around .

if you dont need to turn tight or just want the looks ad a 1.5" spacer to each side is what most guys have done for years .

if your hard core builder some guys find van axles can be wider over truck axles on some models .

i have a van width 14ff 1 ton rear under a truck and its 70" wheel mount to wheel mount . my dana 60 1ton front is 69" w-w mount so now i am 1/2" narrow on each side in the front . but the look is so much better .

Eyegore 01-23-2019 09:18 PM

Huh, I always thought it had to do with 4 wheeling, rear tire would be in another line and not in the same rut in snow or mud.

trukman1 02-03-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8445829)
almost all vehicles have the rear narrower than the front to cut the turning circle / radius down .

matched front / rear width = 5 acre field to turn around .

rear narrower by just a few inches cuts down the size of the circle = 3 acre field to turn around .

if you dont need to turn tight or just want the looks ad a 1.5" spacer to each side is what most guys have done for years .

if your hard core builder some guys find van axles can be wider over truck axles on some models .

i have a van width 14ff 1 ton rear under a truck and its 70" wheel mount to wheel mount . my dana 60 1ton front is 69" w-w mount so now i am 1/2" narrow on each side in the front . but the look is so much better .

Finally an answer to the question I've pondered for decades!

How much worse is the turn radius with the van rear? I gave my '67 P/U, with the same axle setup, to my son but we were looking to get a van rear diff for the same reason (looks better.)

Funny thing, I found a guy selling a van rear and he asked why I wanted it since my truck was really sharp. I told him and he suddenly didn't want to sell it! (Won't tell the next guy!) LOL!