The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pre-Paint prep questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774173)

RedBed 10-29-2018 02:40 PM

Pre-Paint prep questions

Wondering what I should use for wipe down pre-primer and pre-paint on my truck. I am using a lacquer based primer and shooting it with JD Blitz Black.

I can buy cleaner/degreaser at the local auto supply, but I also have plenty of Acetone, Alcohol or Lacquer thinner on hand.

Also what are the best wipes to use? Microfiber towels? Blue "shop towels"? ?

Thanks

mongocanfly 10-29-2018 03:48 PM

Re: Pre-Paint prep questions

i use wax and degreaser on mine

MP&C 10-29-2018 10:29 PM

A wax and grease remover is a slow to evaporate solvent, working on the premise that any impurities will be floated to the surface where they can be wiped away before the solvent dries. Think wax on, wax off. One lint free rag to apply, another to wipe clean. Lacquer thinner and the like are too hot, and tend to either dry before the impurities can be wiped away, or will soften your lacquer primer to help the impurities flow into the primer. Which brings up the next point, Lacquer primers are so 40 years ago. They are prone to adhesion delamination, softening (reflowing), and shrinking. Quite a few better choices out there.

RedBed 10-29-2018 10:34 PM

Ok - I'll get the degreaser. Thanks!

I know Lacquer primer is not what most would use anymore, but neither is John Deere tractor paint. But that part is already done deal.

Foot Stomper 10-29-2018 11:28 PM

No need for a wax and grease remover if you haven't applied wax or grease... seriously, if you've primed a clean and dry surface, then sanded to a paint ready substrate, then blow it off and use a tack rag sold in the same store you buy the primer and paint, then paint.
If you are in a very dusty shop, or want to be extra careful, then a mild wax and grease solvent will help to clean the substrate with a micro fibre cloth or premium towel prior to using a tack rag.

The tack rag is the key here, don't use paper towel or other "lint" type products before paint... always use a tack rag. They are designed to grab every bit of dust and debris from the substrate. They cost 2.00$.

EDIT: Be very careful when using any wax and greaser, acetone, alcohol and/or lacquer thinner on lacquer primer as it will likely melt and wash off the primer because the modern day wax and grease removers are a hotter solvent and will literally disolve the lacquer. Best to just use a tack rag.
Question... what are you planning on using for paint??? Lacquer paint is hard (if not impossible) to find so you may end up with an acrylic enamel or urethane which will attack the lacquer primer and cause "crazing" if you don't know what you are doing. Lacquer primer went the way of the dinasour 40 years ago... I wouldn't use it on my wheel barrel... if it's not too late, I'd wash it off with lacquer thinner or sand paper and start over with a urehthane high build primer and have a far superior substrate that can be painted with a single stage urethane, acrylic enamel or base coat/clear coat.
Lacquer primer is a problem waiting to happen... there's no such thing as good, cheap paint. Why spend countless hours on metal work, body filler and then mess it up with lacquer primer?? Makes no sense to me.

RedBed 10-30-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 8374302)
...what are you planning on using for paint??? ...

My first post: "shooting it with JD Blitz Black"

RedBed 11-13-2018 05:49 PM

Done!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775149

mongocanfly 11-13-2018 06:39 PM

That turned out great..

mikelom 11-22-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBed (Post 8383651)

Nice work! Black and red are a good combination. Like it!

Sparky dave 11-26-2018 07:59 PM

Need to clean the panel before the tac rag. Wipe across panel once then turn the cloth don’t rub back and forth or you will spread the dirt around. Clean clean and more clean with panel wipe until no more dirt comes off the panel. Thinners will wipe the primer off, stick with panel wipe. Tac rag is just for final stage just before you shoot ��. Wipe gentle with tac rag or you will leave sticky residue on panel. Most inportant don’t be scared all that can happen is you learn something. Go for it! Good luck

Sparky dave 11-26-2018 08:02 PM

Ps the towels ideally you need to be looking for lint free cloths. If even used **** roll but I’m not telling you to do that!