The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Need Some Expert Analysis for You Truck Gurus (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737517)

CountofMonteCarlo84 05-09-2017 06:31 PM

Need Some Expert Analysis for You Truck Gurus

A while back I stumbled upon a truck at a show the owner indicated was a 55. It wasn't exactly for sale, but I got the contact information and after several months he has agreed to sell it. I was actually looking for a 67-72 C10, but fell in love with this truck. The owner indicates it is a 55, but I know it has a 57 grille. When I mentioned it the first time I saw the truck he thought his grille was for a 55 and did not really say much else. I just want to determine whether it is indeed a 55 or actually a 57 (I don't care if it is a 55 with a 57 grille, but I assume there may be title concerns if the title says 55 and it is actually a 57 altogether). I do not know these trucks well enough to spot any differences. Therefore, I am asking the gurus here to please help me determine whether this is indeed a 55 or a 57. If the pictures I have do not help, let me know what I can look for to determine it or if there is something with the serial number I can check (also where should the serial number be). Thanks for all of your help.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psacipf06g.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...pseohtf1nb.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psom4f2bep.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ps77fhrzsz.jpg

mongocanfly 05-09-2017 06:35 PM

Re: Need Some Expert Analysis for You Truck Gurus

Beautiful truck..the vin will tell all..

Henry50 05-09-2017 06:54 PM

The tag is on the drivers side a pillar, 3rd and 4th digit should be 55 for 1955 or 57 for 1957.

Port&PolishMan 05-09-2017 10:02 PM

Clean Look !

nail pounder 05-09-2017 11:06 PM

That's a sharp looking truck!

Dan in Pasadena 05-09-2017 11:28 PM

VIN will also be on the frame multiple places. Mine is stamped on the driver's side top flange under the cab- yeah, I know that's not much help unless you use a mirror and are flexible. But it might be interesting to know if it's one year cab and another year frame - it's been done plenty of times

CountofMonteCarlo84 05-10-2017 12:01 PM

It looks like my memory was mistaken, and it is in fact a 57 as confirmed by the photo of the vin he sent me. Based on what I see, it is a V-8, 1957, 3100 built in Atlanta. Are you guys able to determine anything else with it?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...psz7keqr7e.jpg

dsraven 05-10-2017 12:26 PM

I was just going to say that the truck has obviously been restored, and a nice job at that, and many times over the years prior to the resto or during the resto parts from other vehicles may have been used. it could be the owner at some point liked a certain grill or a different dash etc. it is common for GMC owners to swap in a Chevy dash because they like the superman V style of cluster rather than the larger split GMC cluster. as well the aftermarket has more Chevy branded stuff available in comparison to GMC.
anyway. long story short, nice truck. happy you got the year resolved.

_Ogre 05-10-2017 12:33 PM

as long as the title vin matches that your good to go
if the title says 55 or the vin doesn't match run away
here is a vin decoder http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=9

paulspickupparts 05-10-2017 12:46 PM

As said before if the Vin on the cab matches the title that is a big plus. It appears the front frame has been modified ( possibly a subframe) . If it has not the frame number should be on top of the lh frame rail in the engiine area. That should match the cab # . If subframed that is probaly missing. . Nice looking truck sits nice. Cool he save the original V-8 radiator support hardware.

dsraven 05-10-2017 02:59 PM

I am from Canada, so not sure how they do vin tags there. here, if the rivets are not original on the vin tag mounting, the dmv would be suspiscios of a possible theft or wrong tags whatever. just something to make sure on before you pull the trigger. by the pic it doesn't look original.

mr48chev 05-10-2017 03:56 PM

Looks to be a 57. Back in the 60's, 70's and early 80's it was real common to put a 55/56 hood on a 57 to get rid of the hood bumps. Guys just went for the smoother look then and that may be the case if it has a 55/57 hood.
That's a great looking truck at any rate. Pretty close to my dream truck in the early 70's outside of the engine that didn't exist then. I wanted a black TF tri 5 truck really bad in those days.

CountofMonteCarlo84 05-10-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulspickupparts (Post 7939236)
As said before if the Vin on the cab matches the title that is a big plus. It appears the front frame has been modified ( possibly a subframe) . If it has not the frame number should be on top of the lh frame rail in the engiine area. That should match the cab # . If subframed that is probaly missing. . Nice looking truck sits nice. Cool he save the original V-8 radiator support hardware.

Camaro subframe, nice catch. I will keep you guys posted. Hoping it is in my garage soon.

Kim57 05-10-2017 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 7939314)
I am from Canada, so not sure how they do vin tags there. here, if the rivets are not original on the vin tag mounting, the dmv would be suspiscios of a possible theft or wrong tags whatever. just something to make sure on before you pull the trigger. by the pic it doesn't look original.

The vin tag is spot welded on. No rivets.
Kim

mongocanfly 05-10-2017 08:31 PM

Good catch there kim...that alone would make me hesitant

dsraven 05-10-2017 09:03 PM

must be different in the USA, here,both my 57 and my 58 had vin plates riveted on the door post. if we mess with those we get a big fine and/or go to jail, don't pass go, no $200 bucks. in my case i would also lose my mechanic's lic.
I have seen in some of the truck parts places that they sell rivets for this purpose, OEM style. just for Canada?

paulspickupparts 05-10-2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 7939587)
Good catch there kim...that alone would make me hesitant

Pre 54 tags were riveted. 55 on spot welded appears to be orginal but some builders have cut outside a Vin tag and metal finished. Really hard to tell then . This one appears to be orginal.

Kim57 05-10-2017 10:21 PM

I meant they were spot welded by the factory.
My 57 and a 56 cab I had were both spot welded.
Kim

mongocanfly 05-10-2017 11:03 PM

Hmmmm..I had no idea they were factory spot welded..I thought they were all riveted...spot weld seems like that would make it easy to move vin from one vehicle to another..

Jemezcrusher 05-11-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulspickupparts (Post 7939695)
Pre 54 tags were riveted. 55 on spot welded appears to be orginal but some builders have cut outside a Vin tag and metal finished. Really hard to tell then . This one appears to be orginal.

My 50 and 47 are both held on by clutch head screws

paulspickupparts 05-11-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher (Post 7939889)
My 50 and 47 are both held on by clutch head screws

You are correct . I should have made that note . The later ad trucks were riveted . The pre 47 trucks were also held on with clutch head screws.

Coupeguy2001 05-11-2017 05:29 PM

Mine is spot welded. 57 3200.
Had the truck for 44 years. It is 60 now.
WOW does time fly...............

Kim57 05-11-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 7939754)
Hmmmm..I had no idea they were factory spot welded..I thought they were all riveted...spot weld seems like that would make it easy to move vin from one vehicle to another..

I don't think that was a concern back in the day. Nobody thought these things things would be around for so long or worth anything but scrap.
Kim

ewalker302 05-14-2017 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could be worse, here's my tag......most of the vin seems to have been deliberately "erased" at some point. Don't see why they bothered to leave in on there.

joedoh 05-14-2017 08:07 PM

here is a tip, you can take it off and usually a light sanding on the back side will reveal the "erased" portion. has to do with the metal hardness that changes when pressed in a die (which is what stamping does)