The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   seatbelts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=39431)

71Derelict 02-05-2003 10:30 PM

seatbelts

I am looking for some 3 point safety belts to put in my cab. There are none in there currently. I found some for about 65 dollars each. This seems pretty steep for a seat belt. Anyone know of where I can find some at a cheaper price. Or someone know of a rig I can possibly get them from out of a wrecking yard that will bolt in easily. Thanks.

shawn

Palf70Step 02-05-2003 11:14 PM

I got mine when I got a new (used) seat. They came out of a 90 Chevy 1500. I paid $25 for the 3 point belts and center belt. The bottom retractors will have to be mounted a bit differently than stock, but thy work good. If you want to see a little better check my web link in the signature and see how I hooked them up.

Duallie 02-06-2003 03:36 AM

I agree. I just put '98 Suburban front seatbelts in my C30. I had to redrill the floor for the retractor, and I was amazed at how well it all fits and looks. The only problem was the recycler wanted $80 a side. And then I found aftermarket belts for $73, plus shipping...............to Alaska................hmmmmmmm, thats not so bad after all.

Ed ke6bnl 02-06-2003 04:16 AM

Re: seatbelts

Quote:

Originally posted by 71Derelict
I am looking for some 3 point safety belts to put in my cab. There are none in there currently. I found some for about 65 dollars each. This seems pretty steep for a seat belt. Anyone know of where I can find some at a cheaper price. Or someone know of a rig I can possibly get them from out of a wrecking yard that will bolt in easily. Thanks.

shawn

We got word on the site to use S-10 and we found some for sale that day for 15 dollars and the passenger is a direct bolt in and the driver side we made a heavy metal bar to move it over a couple of inches but nearly a bolt in. Ed ke6bnl

mt Al 02-06-2003 02:50 PM

I just put two sets into my suburban. Years ago I put a set into my pickup.

I bought my pickup belts new for $85 per side plus mounting plates from www.julianos.com for $15 a pair. They work and look great, no regrets. If you are planning on keeping your truck for a long time I highly recommend buying new stuff.

Went to www.car-parts.com for my suburban 3 points. Searched for seat belts from newer Chevy pickups, got a LONG list and broadcast a request for color, condition and price. A few days later I had a long list of replies and, like an idiot, went for the lowest price in the color I wanted. Paid $60 plus shipping for the pair (not including the mounting plates from julianos, A MUST!). They work fine and look OK, but are not suitable for a first class job. The housing that sits on the floor rides a bit high and is way too large compared to the new ones. The webbing is stained, the plastic parts that cover the top anchor are cracked and/or missing. Again, they work, but they aren't the right thing if you want a really nice looking truck in the end.

If you are getting 3 points for safey and don't properly mount them with a plate AND grade 8 bolts your potentially in more danger than when you started. Don't skimp on mounting plates.

My 2 cents.

krazy_texan 02-06-2003 04:37 PM

can you put vinyl and cloth die on seatbelts i have an 87 burb in the driveway that we are parting out and i was thinking of using the seatbelts out of it if i can die them and paint the houseings black to match my truck

71Derelict 02-06-2003 07:02 PM

thanks for the help guys.

oldcarbuff 02-07-2003 11:23 AM

I just bought some from truckandrv.com. They were new and snapped into the blazer seat I used. They were $35 each, but did not include mounting plates for under the floor.

I have also used ones from southern rods (cant' remember the web site). Lastly, I was looking real hard at the ones from http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm

I really like the aviator style flip up chrome latches.

OCB

Lippyp 02-07-2003 11:55 AM

Just a quick note of caution on buying second hand seat belts. I wouldn't recommend buying secondhand seat belts without knowing some history of the vehicle they came from. If they are late model belts it is quite likely that the vehicle has been in an accident. Seat belts can stretch and the stitchingcan be weakened if they are involved in a major accident when they restrain what may have become several thousand pounds owing to the decceleration forces involved. This could mean that if you have a major accident they could fail. In the UK most accident repairers after a head on impact will automatically replace the seat belts. If you do fit used belts at the very least renew the mounting hardware, bolts etc.

Its your face and your loved ones that could exit via the windshield if they fail, my truck has brand new UK spec three point belts fitted.

Edmond 02-07-2003 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lippyp
my truck has brand new UK spec three point belts fitted.
Were did you get these new seatbelts Lippyp??
Any pictures?

Thanks.

Cya,
Edmond
http://home01.wxs.nl/~edmond-antoine...riotsmilie.gif