The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Headliner with built in speakers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=421731)

repeeler 09-16-2010 10:17 PM

Headliner with built in speakers

Has anyone tried the headliner with the 4 built in speakers and the ability to install a head unit in it? I see these in various catalogs. They look like something that would work for me. Just wondering what the opinions are of those that have it or have tried it.

AceX 09-16-2010 10:46 PM

Re: Headliner with built in speakers

It's a terrible idea in every sense of the word. IIRC the're made form ABS plastic, which will rattle like you can't believe and also makes the truck sound like your in a room with a vaulted ceiling...

repeeler 09-16-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceX (Post 4195427)
It's a terrible idea in every sense of the word. IIRC the're made form ABS plastic, which will rattle like you can't believe and also makes the truck sound like your in a room with a vaulted ceiling...

Trying to find a way to put a decent stereo in the truck without hacking it up. It is bone stock now right down to the AM radio so I really don't want to start cutting holes to mount stuff. Any ideas?

AceX 09-16-2010 11:02 PM

Kick panels would be the best solution regardless. You can build, or have a set built for not that much effort or $$$. For a new radio, check out the article at the top of the forum called "Big tunes on a small budget"

Bad70sbchevy 09-18-2010 01:15 AM

You can't go wrong with 6x9s under the seat. As for a head unit, you can mount it to a bracket if you dont want to cut a hole in the dash.

gsxrdoug 09-18-2010 07:30 AM

Just cut a hole in your dash! Its yours! Just Kidding... Please no bashing.

msgross 09-18-2010 08:14 AM

You can find these mounts at Radio shack I think... then just add 6x9 box speakers or kick panel speakers...

http://www.gdwriter.com/graphics/tac...s/DCP_0526.jpg

Cole Trickle 09-23-2010 05:14 PM

If your looking to keep the dash un cut and add a better system I would build some kick panels and run a stand alone amp off your ipod. Pac makes a couple different set ups where there is a volume know and a usb connector for the bottom of the ipod.

AceX 09-23-2010 05:54 PM

I can contact my buddy DK at Arc Audio and ask him about the iPod hook-up. That seems to be his favorite trick as of late. If you look on this months cover of Truckin' my buddy DK sponsored the truck. 6 12's, 3 amps, and the source? An iPod. I also know the guy that built the entire system, so if you want, I can start asking quesitons about the set-up.

The iPod only source is becoming more and mroe popular...

Cole Trickle 09-23-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceX (Post 4206196)
I can contact my buddy DK at Arc Audio and ask him about the iPod hook-up. That seems to be his favorite trick as of late. If you look on this months cover of Truckin' my buddy DK sponsored the truck. 6 12's, 3 amps, and the source? An iPod. I also know the guy that built the entire system, so if you want, I can start asking quesitons about the set-up.

The iPod only source is becoming more and mroe popular...

I have the set up in my rhino.....

I put an old (exspensive) Sony hu in it and the dust killed the cd player within the first day.

Ditched that and now run the ipod controller directly to a 400w 4 channel amp powering 4 polk momo 6.5 components in pods and bridged the last 2 channels to a kicker 10 thats under the seat.

Loud and gets the party started while were camping...lol

Lance-ftw 09-24-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repeeler (Post 4195448)
Trying to find a way to put a decent stereo in the truck without hacking it up. It is bone stock now right down to the AM radio so I really don't want to start cutting holes to mount stuff. Any ideas?

http://www.lbcarco.com/retro-car-radio.htm

That's just one of many "knob" stereo options out there. You can keep the form factor and get a modern radio. You can't get a CD player on those I don't think but you can mount a disk player in your glove box.

For speakers it totally depends on what you're after. If you just want sound of decent quality to listen to music then smaller speakers under the seat or if you've happened to move your gas tank or plan to move your gas tank behind the seat.

Kick panels are nice but I have the issue that I always... kick them. With some intelligent tweaking you can mount speakers under the vents in the dash as well but it gives a weird sound bouncing off your windshield.

If you're going for big sound or want subs, you're going to be hard pressed to install a full system without making some cuts and modifications. Don't mount to headliners, I've heard some of them in other vehicles and it sounds like crap and is almost impossible to keep from rattling (also it looks ugly imo).

Curt's_72 10-06-2010 08:46 AM

Been hoping to see some love for the Highliner. I've purchased one for my K20 project. It came with foam insulation and everything necessary to mount. I'll be installing Dynamat also. I've already bought replacement speakers for it. Alpine SPS-400's, as I figured the ones that came with it wouldn't be that good.
I don't find it to be unattractive at all. I'll post my results when the truck is done, but I personally have no regrets about using it.

phantom69 10-08-2010 07:40 PM

hopefully your headliner works out...i've been kicking around the idea of buying one so i'd love to see your install!

Lance-ftw 10-11-2010 03:33 PM

Follow up since i actually got to meet Ray ;)

You need help with the stereo stuff lemme know, I actually know how to do that :P

As for speakers, safe bet without modifying is under the seat, kickpanels for existing spots which I'm not a fan of cause I keep kicking them... or if you wanna get super creative you there are places under the actual dash vents by the windshield that you can squeeze some high fidelity small speakers into (big isn't always better, see BOSE) and get good sound.

ERASER5 10-11-2010 05:32 PM

Here is a link to Bruce's "It's just a pickup" thread. Scroll down a bit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5

I am considering the same headliner. If this is what you want for your truck, who cares what anyone else thinks about it?

AceX 10-13-2010 01:40 AM

My suggestions are simply to yeild the greatest results. I have some information on using an iPod as the source. If you're interested, I could post it or email you the information.

Curt's_72 10-13-2010 10:31 AM

AceX, All feedback is good, one simply uses the information as needed.

I have no intentions to 'hijack' this thread, as it's about the headliner, but the iPod information is something I'd like to learn more about. I will be using a Custom Autosound unit with a hookup for one, in conjuction with the Highliner and kickpanel speakers.

east1la 11-07-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 4197319)
You can find these mounts at Radio shack I think... then just add 6x9 box speakers or kick panel speakers...

http://www.gdwriter.com/graphics/tac...s/DCP_0526.jpg

what brand are the underdash aftermarkert radio kit? where can I find them online????

THE "10" SILVERADO 12-03-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt's_72 (Post 4227117)
Been hoping to see some love for the Highliner. I've purchased one for my K20 project. It came with foam insulation and everything necessary to mount. I'll be installing Dynamat also. I've already bought replacement speakers for it. Alpine SPS-400's, as I figured the ones that came with it wouldn't be that good.
I don't find it to be unattractive at all. I'll post my results when the truck is done, but I personally have no regrets about using it.

Any follow up on that? I was planning to purchase one for my 77 C10.....just wanted to know how it turned out...

Curt's_72 12-06-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO (Post 4328406)
Any follow up on that? I was planning to purchase one for my 77 C10.....just wanted to know how it turned out...

Nope. My truck is still very much in process. I've painted the Highliner with SEM paint to match the parchment interior. But no progress on getting it installed. Hopefully spring of 2011.

paul63c10 01-16-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceX (Post 4238338)
My suggestions are simply to yeild the greatest results. I have some information on using an iPod as the source. If you're interested, I could post it or email you the information.

Hey Ace - j/w if you could send me some of that info. would be greatly appreciated!

Curt's_72 02-20-2012 11:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got the Highliner mounted.
It was black, and I used SEM Super White paint on it. It turned out well. The color is very close to the factory shade of parchment.
It was a two person task. It's not heavy, just awkward.
Attachment 876177

I ran the wires first. Rather than run the exposed down the b pillar, I drilled a hole in the upper corner of the ceiling on the passenger side to run the 4 speaker wires.
It came with foam padding which I taped to the top of it before installing.
Rather than use the speakers that came with it, I bought these Alpine 4". I figured they they would have better quality sound.
Attachment 876178

They were an exact fit.

There were no provisions for the inner visor brackets. We installed a new header panel and the body shop filled in the holes for them when they filled in the ceiling mount mirror bracket.
Attachment 876179
Attachment 876180

I'm pleased with the fitment and the quality. Now we'll see how it works out going down the road.

Andy4639 10-26-2012 03:47 AM

What is all the center stuff in the front for. It's just a big opening for? Is there suppose to be some kind of cover that goes over it?;):chevy:

RipMeyer 11-17-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 5668438)
What is all the center stuff in the front for. It's just a big opening for? Is there suppose to be some kind of cover that goes over it?;):chevy:

The radio goes there. Is that the spot you mean?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0016_large.jpg

496bb 11-22-2012 11:54 AM

Hey I'm curious how you run the wires so they are all hidden? Considering this option myself- and also considered cab lights, but my truck has no headliner and I'm wondering how those would be retro-fitted.