The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lowered truck exhaust?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=464635)

19seventeeCustom 05-15-2011 08:14 PM

Lowered truck exhaust??

Hey guys,

I was wondering what headers everyone was running and what kind of ground clearance you have, I tried searching with no results.

My truck is only gonna have 4" or so of ground clearance with my new 4/6 drop and a 255/60/15 tire. Does this sound normal??

Post pics of your dropped setups as well as tire sizes. :metal:

How low is too low when it comes to clearance?

mrhino 05-15-2011 08:33 PM

Re: Lowered truck exhaust??

I dont know how low to low is but, I have 4/6 drop and you cant even see my exhaust. I have a Porter-built cross-member and the exhaust is ran though it.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/DSCF5033.jpg

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/DSCF5036.jpg

wwotr 05-15-2011 08:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 4681992)
Hey guys,

I was wondering what headers everyone was running and what kind of ground clearance you have, I tried searching with no results.

My truck is only gonna have 4" or so of ground clearance with my new 4/6 drop and a 255/60/15 tire. Does this sound normal??

I have a 5.5" Front/6" Back drop. Running 15".
I believe I have Doug Thorley Headers.
I never thought much about the "Clearance Issue",
until we moved down South. (Lots of Speed Bumps/Dips).
Where my collector bolted to the Exhaust, there was only about a 2 14" clearance.
EVERY TIME I went over a Speed Bump, and got to the other side, it would rub/scrape, and even THAT was taking it SLOOOOOW.

My Truck is now in the shop getting the Exhaust tucked up into the Frame, Headers were cut and rerouted (down by the Collector), Re-welded/Re-routed and sent out for Jet Coating. I saw the "Mock-Up" before they sent them out and you can't see any of the Exhaust.
Oh and I'm having Doug's Electric Exhaust Cut Outs" installed too.:uhmk:
The 1st 3 pictures were BEFORE the "current" Exhaust work.
The Last 2 are the Mock-Up.

19seventeeCustom 05-15-2011 10:08 PM

thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering where everyone else was sitting at. I guess I'll have to be super careful about what I drive over, although I'm kinda use to it because I also drive a lowered f-body!!

Bennett68C10 05-16-2011 07:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
My truck is lowered 5/7, I don't have the body on it yet but here is what I did to tuck my exhaust up in the frame. Even my H-pipe doesn't hang below the frame.

19seventeeCustom 05-16-2011 10:00 AM

hey, thanks for the pics bennett.

The main difference in yours and mine is that I have Longtubes, whereas it appears you only have shorties. I understand shorties have much less clearance problems than LT's but I dont really wanna change the headers just yet.

QKENUF4U 05-16-2011 11:14 AM

mine was setup like bennents when i had my 71.. the only part that hung down a little bit was the bottom of the headers .. other than that alll tucked up in the frame...

Bennett68C10 05-16-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 4682988)
hey, thanks for the pics bennett.

The main difference in yours and mine is that I have Longtubes, whereas it appears you only have shorties. I understand shorties have much less clearance problems than LT's but I dont really wanna change the headers just yet.

Yeah they are Hedman mid-length headers for Camaro/Chevelle. I wish I could have ran longtubes but I didn't want to deal with them scraping everywhere and couldn't afford custom made ones that would tuck up in the frame.

landsurvey1 05-16-2011 09:00 PM

I am going to use Hooker Super Competition block hugger headers. They dump out parallel with the oil pan. Then you can route your exhaust how you see fit.

wwotr 05-18-2011 09:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 4681992)
Hey guys,

19seventycustom,
I wanted to share with you my Truck as I'm taking care of the same issues.
Not trying to Hijack this thread. Just trying to provide some insight/Info.
I had Exhaust w/ Manual Cutouts put on my 72 GMC Short/Fleet back in 2009.
Clearance wasn't an issue because I hadn't even thought about Lowering it.
So in 2010, I bought a Lowering Kit from CPP.
It was their 3/4" Drop with Springs, Nitrogen Shocks, and 2" Lowering Blocks for the Rear.
I already had 2 1/2" Drop Spindles from the P.O.
So after install I was looking at 5.5" Front/6" Rear.
That's when I started to have Exhaust "bottoming Out" issues.
So when I moved down to the Palm Springs area in November, I found a shop to tuck the Exhaust up into the Frame.
I have "Shorty Headers" so they ended up cutting it at the Pipes,
and then took the Y-Pipe and cut IT off.
Then they ran new tubing on the Headers, tack welded it together and did a "Mock-Up".
They replaced the "Collector" with a "V-Band" system (pictured Below).
Then when everything was Tucked up, they took the Headers out,
and welded everything.
Today they were sent out to be Jet Coated.
I've posted pictures of the Headers (today),
before they shipped them out for Coating.
I'll post more, when they come back from the Coater's and of course the Finished product.
Like I said, just trying to ADD to the info, but if I'm outta line,
please have the Moderator let me know.
Roger

19seventeeCustom 05-18-2011 11:14 PM

wwotr, that is a really nice setup!! thank you for the info and pics.

Hopefully I can get by for a little while, I just got the exhaust how I want it to sound and dont want to start from scratch.

Bennett68C10 05-19-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19seventeeCustom (Post 4688303)
wwotr, that is a really nice setup!! thank you for the info and pics.

Hopefully I can get by for a little while, I just got the exhaust how I want it to sound and dont want to start from scratch.

If i was you I would just run what you have but just be extra careful with speed bumps and stuff. If you like the way it sounds that is all that matters. Like i said i wish i had long tubes on my truck but had to settle for the mid-lengths.

fastwillie 696969 05-19-2011 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hooker super comp headers long tube

19seventeeCustom 05-19-2011 10:38 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys!!!

speed bumps and high curb entrance, will have to be kept to a minimum, but thankfully there isn't alot of those where I live.

j3162978 10-05-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 4683980)
Yeah they are Hedman mid-length headers for Camaro/Chevelle. I wish I could have ran longtubes but I didn't want to deal with them scraping everywhere and couldn't afford custom made ones that would tuck up in the frame.

Hi B, I'm looking to buy headers for my 70c10 and I really like you setup. Could you give me more info on the Hedman headers that you bought, like where, how much, part number, and if you would still recommend them today. Thanks.

wwotr 10-05-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow I got this notice today, and saw my post from 2 years ago and my sweet 72 GMC. Kind of an erie thing looking at my old truck, i put so much money/time into. You guys here were always very supportive. RIP "Ratikle".

Roger
(wwotr)

Boog 10-05-2013 07:42 PM

Hey Roger. Are you ready to get back into one yet? ;)

SwitchHappyAutoLLC 10-05-2013 08:14 PM

i run hedman headers part number 69646 my truck lays frame!

wwotr 10-05-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 6300907)
Hey Roger. Are you ready to get back into one yet? ;)

Boog,
Unfortunately I am done with Trucks, Hot Rods, Muscle Cars in General.
Not that I still don't LOVE them, but now BOTH my Wife and I are retired and on a fixed income.
I DID get a 2011 Dodge Challenger about 2 years ago.
But its in my nature to "add" things to it, and I just dont have the $$.
So I keep it as clean as I can.

Roger

Boog 10-05-2013 11:33 PM

I fully understand that Roger. I'd like to have a Challenger myself. ;) Well at least you still check in on these forums. Take care my friend.