The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What have you guys used for custom side view mirrors? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=685170)

derotoreut 10-12-2015 10:46 PM

What have you guys used for custom side view mirrors?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for some custom side view mirrors for my 71 SWB build. FYI I have decided NOT to go with one piece windows, so I'm keeping my vent windows. Has anyone used Billet Specialties mirrors? If so, what model? And are you happy with them? I'm looking at the model 74720. I would like to know how they fit, look and function on our 67-72 trucks. If anyone has pictures that would also be appreciated. As always, thanks for your help.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ext...-round-offset/

BCOWANWHEELS 10-13-2015 02:02 AM

Re: What have you guys used for custom side view mirrors?

I had them on my 72 when I bought it. there totally useless as mirrors. I pulled em off asap. got me some stock mirrors I can use ........

derotoreut 10-13-2015 07:50 AM

To be honest, I don't think the stock sport mirrors, or round mirrors, could be any better. What type of mirror did you go to that was better? Must have been a large western style?

leftybass209 10-13-2015 09:32 AM

Any small mirror will be less effective; billet, oem, or otherwise when compared to anything larger. I think people get so used to newer style mirrors they forget how to use older mirrors. I run stock 71-72 sport mirrors and have no problem seeing 360 degrees using my mirrors or looking over my shoulder. These trucks by far have a better panoramic view when compared to newer trucks.

In a comparison of mirrors, the best are west coast style. If you can stomach the look (some hate 'em) those elephant ears will let you gaze 2 lanes over, 2 cars back at the lady texting if that's what you feel you need.

halfstep 10-13-2015 11:02 AM

Obviously individual taste, but since you're asking...
I would lean to a factory chrome mirror off another GM vehicle from the same era. It would be custom, but a little more subtle and period correct.

I took both my sport mirrors off and put in a wide angle "Allview" mirror in place of my center rearview. This gives me a leaner exterior look and almost 180* of rear vision. The new mirror fits onto my existing windshield tab and with a little tweaking doesn't look too far off stock except it's twice as wide.

Road racing in the past I have used wide angle mirrors like WINK and a few parabolic types and I like this variant (allviewmirror.com) - it's not really parabolic (deep curve) and not a bunch of panels in a box, but they are all functional improvements. The allview and other better quality (less/no distortion)are a little more expensive ($50-100) but you can try a cheap $15 clip on parabolic to get a taste.

My '72 came with factory sport mirrors (driver & pass). They look great, but were virtually useless in reality - driver side I had to turn too far to the left and take my eyes off the road in front. The passenger side I was better off just glancing out the windows. To be useful I would have to move the driver mirror way forward. Of course we all adapt to driving what we have and any rearview mirror can be fine.

derotoreut 10-13-2015 12:59 PM

Thanks guys. This will be a custom build and definitely not stock. It's an LS3 build on a custom chassis, so I'm not planning to use stock mirrors. I want to use something else, and hoped someone had experience with the Billet Specialties mirrors (or something close). I've considered using older Corvette or Camaro mirrors, but still not sure. I know I'm going to sacrifice visibility, but it's better then no mirrors, which I've seen some do. So keep me posted and let me know what you've used. Thanks.

67ChevyRedneck 10-13-2015 02:54 PM

With the way most people drive today you would swear new cars don't come with any rearview mirrors, turn signals, or brake lights...

It's hard to do custom touches on these trucks without them looking dated in a few years. The only thing that keeps looking good year after year is how GM made them. Personally, I think the 67-70 round mirrors do have a little bit of that clean, custom look to them?

I do like the one you posted at the top.

Fitz 10-13-2015 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 7339339)
I'm looking for some custom side view mirrors for my 71 SWB build. FYI I have decided NOT to go with one piece windows, so I'm keeping my vent windows. Has anyone used Billet Specialties mirrors? If so, what model? And are you happy with them? I'm looking at the model 74720. I would like to know how they fit, look and function on our 67-72 trucks. If anyone has pictures that would also be appreciated. As always, thanks for your help.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/ext...-round-offset/

'69 Nova.

cooperhw 10-26-2015 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just installed a set of ferd f-series manual mirrors this past weekend. I like em pretty good. I was in the same boat as you in that I didn't really care for the stock mirrors. I purchased mine through Amazon for about $26 each.

rocknss 10-26-2015 05:35 PM

cooperhw, what year are the mirrors you have? Also very cool truck!!:metal:

cooperhw 10-26-2015 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknss (Post 7354518)
cooperhw, what year are the mirrors you have? Also very cool truck!!:metal:

Thanks rocknss. Not sure the year. They are Ford F-Series Manual mirrors from Amazon for $26.00 each. Sold by Dorman. Part # 955-269.
You can really see well on each side with these.

Andy4639 10-26-2015 06:54 PM

My truck has the old cal vue mirrors installed.:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...riverdoor1.JPG

Daman 10-31-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7354426)
I just installed a set of ferd f-series manual mirrors this past weekend. I like em pretty good. I was in the same boat as you in that I didn't really care for the stock mirrors. I purchased mine through Amazon for about $26 each.

I really like the look. Did you mount the support bar to the inside?

custom10nut 10-31-2015 09:55 AM

My truck had the big white highway mirrors on it when I bought it. I later put the repop Sport mirrors on because I wanted the smaller sportier look. I soon realized that they're not real effective and hard to see out of. When both of them came apart at the swivel, I put the big ones back on, and I think I'm going to stay with them. Lesson learned, cool look is not always practical, or useful, for that matter.

cooperhw 10-31-2015 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daman (Post 7359899)

Yes. I had to make one as the bolt holes were specific to the new ferd mirrors. I like em too. You can really see down the sides well and I like the black. My bodyman/painter wanted to paint em black, but I vetoed it.

chanclas90063 10-31-2015 12:07 PM

They are on my '70 Chevy C-10 long bed and I find them almost useless. Especially the passenger side. It is not unusual to have someone walk by and bump into it. It is incredibly difficult to adjust them when you are alone. The only reason I haven't changed them is because I kinda like the way they look😁😁.

Daman 11-07-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7359942)
Yes. I had to make one as the bolt holes were specific to the new ferd mirrors. I like em too. You can really see down the sides well and I like the black. My bodyman/painter wanted to paint em black, but I vetoed it.

Mine just showed up yesterday.

Just noticed your end gate. What's going on there? Is there a story?

cooperhw 11-07-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daman (Post 7367683)
Mine just showed up yesterday.

Just noticed your end gate. What's going on there? Is there a story?

Yes. I had to widen the bed 6 inches to fit over the outside of the dual wheels/tires. One letter will not get you 6" so I added a V and the straight I (straight portion of the R) off of a donor gate. Huge hassle to say the least.

chanclas90063 11-07-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 7339968)
Thanks guys. This will be a custom build and definitely not stock. It's an LS3 build on a custom chassis, so I'm not planning to use stock mirrors. I want to use something else, and hoped someone had experience with the Billet Specialties mirrors (or something close). I've considered using older Corvette or Camaro mirrors, but still not sure. I know I'm going to sacrifice visibility, but it's better then no mirrors, which I've seen some do. So keep me posted and let me know what you've used. Thanks.

I have these same mirrors on my '70 C-10. They were put on by the PO. The passenger side are difficult to use and people are always bumping into them in parking lots. In spite of the inconvenience, I like them. It is a matter of personal taste😁.

cooperhw 11-08-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daman (Post 7359899)

Sorry misunderstood your question. No, I cut the support bar off. I thought you were asking about the plate inside that spreads the support behind the door skin.

Daman 11-15-2015 09:30 AM

I put them on last week. These fit very well with the body line. I was also shocked when I opened them up and they were chrome. When I looked up the part number there was an option to buy right and left together and save a couple bucks. Nowhere did it say chrome but it does fit the pickup nicely.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...107_110124.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...107_110010.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7369344)
Sorry misunderstood your question. No, I cut the support bar off. I thought you were asking about the plate inside that spreads the support behind the door skin.

LOL When I pulled them out of the box I looked at them and said "How'd he mount that bar inside?" 2 seconds later I was at the band saw and cut them off. I ended up making a template from the rubber gasket out of 1/8 sheet aluminum for a brace inside.

cooperhw 11-15-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daman (Post 7376837)
I put them on last week. These fit very well with the body line. I was also shocked when I opened them up and they were chrome. When I looked up the part number there was an option to buy right and left together and save a couple bucks. Nowhere did it say chrome but it does fit the pickup nicely.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...107_110124.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...107_110010.jpg

LOL When I pulled them out of the box I looked at them and said "How'd he mount that bar inside?" 2 seconds later I was at the band saw and cut them off. I ended up making a template from the rubber gasket out of 1/8 sheet aluminum for a brace inside.

them look Purdy.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-15-2015 03:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A PO put '73-'87 Squarebody side mirrors on my '71 Jimmy. When I first got it, I wanted to change them out for a period-correct RV Jr set, but they grew on me. Growing up watching TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio, the mirror image looks natural. But West Coast Jrs are the best for rearward surveillance IMO.
PO also put on a Squarebody trim plate on the tailgate. Always wondered if there's a ''CHEVROLET'' embossed on the real tailgate underneath, but I'm reluctant to open Pandora's Box.
:gmc2:

brad_man_72 11-15-2015 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chevelle mirrors, and door handles.
I "found" the tow mirror at a gas station...

OKGMC4 01-12-2018 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not my truck .Euro mirrors by K Source.