The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ideas 💡 on a plane Jane chevy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750071)

Jered1987 11-07-2017 11:02 PM

Ideas 💡 on a plane Jane chevy

1 Attachment(s)
As before I have posted about my plane white chevy while I enjoy stock it's not for me. Plus it's white I don't know how white should qualify as a color on a vehicle.

Anyways it's a 350/th350 1 1/2 level front , extra springs, 10 bolt front, 14 bolt rear. 4:10 gears. And has 86 sheet metal actually 77 though.

I have a few ideas for the truck:

Option#1 leave about same stance and build drivetrain for brutal hp

Option#2 12,14, 16" lift (no body lifts) and 44" tires. Blown motor, etc , custom paint, maybe airbrushing

Option#3 build my own super sport: no chrome, updated interior electronics etc
And get 6.0 out of newer truck

D13 11-08-2017 06:54 AM

Re: Ideas 💡 on a plane Jane chevy

That's not a plain jane. It has 4 headlights, body moldings, and chrome mirrors. My plain janes have painted mirrors or sport mirrors (because they were cheaper), painted bumpers, and no body molding, no gauges, etc.

I would drive that as is. If I was to mod it it would be a single headlight set up and painted mirrors.
I vote option 1. FOr the other ones I would recommend building it seperate. Once you look at those level of changes you may as well build a monster truck and then just buy some cab panels to hang on it. Kind of like an old time funny car, just a dragster chasssin witha sheet metal drape over it.

TKCR 11-08-2017 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
If it was me, I would leave it mainly as is and renew it to its former glory. That truck would be sweet just being stock. It is not a Plain Jane by any means!! But to get the most feedback from other members, you need to post more pics, so we can see everything you do have and offer up suggestion from what we can see.

So just seeing the exterior:

Of course you can put nicer wheels to dress that up a bit, or even go with the stock rallies.

The dual headlight & grille, keep it. Rebuild the grille and get new headlight buckets in chrome. Those grilles are getting pretty scarce, consider yourself lucky that you still have one on your truck. You can take it completely apart, clean it and repaint it. Clean your chrome pieces and retape them or leave them with no paint. But if you do decide to get rid of the grille, hit me up. I'll rebuild it for you
or just purchase it from you.

Interior, although we haven't seen pics of the interior. I would restore it stock also. You can clean or get new stuff and even give everything a fresh coat of paint to freshen it up.

Check out my build thread and others to get ideas. I just know when I did mine, my major concern was changing the interior color, but I wanted to keep it very close to the stock look.

Check out these white Chevy's!!

mongocanfly 11-08-2017 12:12 PM

I like it as is...nothing wrong with white...maybe a lift and some mud tires....I also like big mud tires on stock rims with the hubcaps....I wouldn't go to crazy with lift....

daddyjeep 11-08-2017 01:37 PM

All of those drastically different options. I can only say that the decision has to be yours. Obviously this truck is a toy as option 1 and 3 would pretty much rule out daily driving. I like my stuff to be different than what everyone else has. If all of the trucks in your area are on 44's just to look pretty going to the mall, I would choose a different path. All of my vehicles are built for a specific purpose. My Jeep, it is a rock crawler. My truck, it is a tow rig. Sure my truck is 4wd, but I do not own it to wheel it. It has a different purpose.

Jered1987 11-08-2017 03:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8077838)
If it was me, I would leave it mainly as is and renew it to its former glory. That truck would be sweet just being stock. It is not a Plain Jane by any means!! But to get the most feedback from other members, you need to post more pics, so we can see everything you do have and offer up suggestion from what we can see.

So just seeing the exterior:

Of course you can put nicer wheels to dress that up a bit, or even go with the stock rallies.

The dual headlight & grille, keep it. Rebuild the grille and get new headlight buckets in chrome. Those grilles are getting pretty scarce, consider yourself lucky that you still have one on your truck. You can take it completely apart, clean it and repaint it. Clean your chrome pieces and retape them or leave them with no paint. But if you do decide to get rid of the grille, hit me up. I'll rebuild it for you
or just purchase it from you.

Interior, although we haven't seen pics of the interior. I would restore it stock also. You can clean or get new stuff and even give everything a fresh coat of paint to freshen it up.

Check out my build thread and others to get ideas. I just know when I did mine, my major concern was changing the interior color, but I wanted to keep it very close to the stock look.

Check out these white Chevy's!!

i guess a major part of wanting it completely different is two things
A: he said the truck is how he had wanted. Well I don't want it to represent
Him, he has been mean and arrogant to his whole family for years, especially before I met my wife(his grand daughter) he said some pretty horrible things to her. Don't know if it makes since just one of my beliefs as to why I want to change it.
Reason b: his severe cobbing of the truck, if you could imagine screwing up every mechanical thing as you go that is what I have. Parts are missing removed
Or what have you parts. He took off all the emissions, downgraded from an hei,
No gauges are hooked up , set up for air, but never put the compressor or anything else in it. He screwed the side trim into the truck. Just a small taste.
As far as the body and frame it's solid as a rock.
And the lifted third picture is what I like for sure.

mongocanfly 11-08-2017 07:20 PM

looks like a solid truck...but...if your trying to cover up and erase bad memories you might be better off to find another truck......paint won't cover that...

RedBed 11-09-2017 01:08 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/km...A=w102-h505-no

Desert1957 11-09-2017 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I disagree, "White" is a color, and can look good. I'm hooked on it.

Attachment 1706130
Attachment 1706132

Build what makes YOU happy, not everyone else.

WyattTX 11-09-2017 02:49 PM

That is great truck as it sits. It is not the truck's fault, an evil person drove it. Do what you like, but I think the stance it is now looks great.

D13 11-09-2017 02:59 PM

AH, I see. The back story is important.

So I would pick one of two paths. Either restore it to its origianl glory to show what a nice truck it can be with love, or sell it to get it and its memories off your mind.

I still have my dad's old truck. He was not the nicest man. But as I grew older and learned more about his life I understood it more. I will end up scrapping the truck but will save a couple pieces because they help me reflect on his life, and how I chose to make mine different.

By the way my wife just bought me a new Chevy in... refridgerator white, just like my Equinox. It's like vanilla ice cream, you start there and make it whatever flavor you want.;)

aharper33 11-13-2017 10:04 AM

Stock if it was me. Get tired of seeing everyone take perfectly good stock trucks and hack them apart for some crazy lift or "laying frame" lowering job and then a little while later run out of money or interest and sell the truck to the scrap yard. To each his own though. I do enjoy seeing what everyone creates in the end.

WyattTX 11-13-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aharper33 (Post 8081331)
Stock if it was me. Get tired of seeing everyone take perfectly good stock trucks and hack them apart for some crazy lift or "laying frame" lowering job and then a little while later run out of money or interest and sell the truck to the scrap yard. To each his own though. I do enjoy seeing what everyone creates in the end.

Agreed. If you start a major project, make sure you finish it. Otherwise, you end up with a botched eyesore

LT7A 11-17-2017 12:36 PM

Jered1987, what are you after here? From what I've seen, this is the third time you've asked this question, just in different ways in different threads. I actually wrote a detailed answer and other people have taken the time to post pictures and such. When I saw that you ask almost the same thing in two other threads, I erased my post here and wrote this. I think it would be appreciated if you started a thread and stuck with it rather than going over the same ground multiple times and drawing new people in. I put a lot of thought into what I write and don't want to put time into input that someone doesn't plan to use. Maybe read other peoples threads about their projects for ideas instead.

nonstop 11-18-2017 02:02 AM

There are a lot of good points on there. I have a few questions. What is 1977 on it? The cab and bed are later, as is the drivetrain. Is he saying it’s a 1977?

Next, it sounds like a lot of negative with the truck. I know he gave it to you, but would it be a higher and more moral road to give it back? How would it make you feel, and what would it do for relations with the rest of the family?

The truck looks good stock. Careful not to fall down a rabbit hole of modifications. Mine was lifted 6 inches on 36s. Looked good. The older I got, the more of a pain it was to load, unload, and get in and out of. It now sports a 4 inch lift on 35s. Looks like the second photo with the 4 inch lift, but in black. Smaller still would be nice, but then I would need to re ratio the axles, get smaller tires, etc. Easy to get carried away, but then you risk losing the function of a truck as a truck.