The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sway Bar - Factory Power Assist (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764316)

Android04 05-23-2018 07:49 AM

Sway Bar - Factory Power Assist

I recently bought a CPP bar and realized it would not work with my factor power assist (Power steering). CPP has offered to return it for me (great support and customer service), but now I'm stuck with no front sway bar.

Anyone know of one that is compatible with power assist? Or do I need to cut up this CPP Bar and extend it to make it work?

1965 C10 with Air Ride

aerotruk63 05-23-2018 07:53 AM

Re: Sway Bar - Factory Power Assist

Great question but no pics? Is your truck lowered?

Android04 05-23-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotruk63 (Post 8266661)
Great question but no pics? Is your truck lowered?

Yes the truck is currently on air.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/955/4...1335c3b324.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/901/4...c5dd6bcd92.jpg

vin63 05-23-2018 02:37 PM

That's a tough one. A lot of the GM vehicles with the power valve and ram-type power steering used a sway bar that mounted to the opposite side. My '63 Tempest uses the same time of power steering and the factory front sway bar mounts to the rear of the A-arms. I know that doesn't help with what is currently available on the market, but if you want to keep your OE power steering assembly, I would start thinking of doing a rear mount sway bar configuration.

Android04 05-23-2018 02:58 PM

Care to share any pictures?

Android04 05-23-2018 03:12 PM

I found this one online. Is that how yours is setup?

http://www.thecairns.com/Impala/IMG_2734.jpg

64shortbox 05-23-2018 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about using an 1 1/4" factory front sway bar off a 1987 & down 1 ton truck? That's what I used on my 64 C-10 and the factory sway bar bolts flat against the lower control arm. The holes are already drilled for it in the lower control arm. Skip that - I used 73 lower control arms in my truck - I can't remember if the 64 lower control arms were pre-drilled or not. I'm on stock height 73 front springs but have 2 1/2" drop spindles. Oh and the sway bar was $15.00 from Pick N Pull during 1/2 of weekend. As a matter of fact Pick N Pull is having a half off sale this Memorial weekend starting Thursday the 24th through the 28th if there are any Pick N Pulls near you. just a thought.

Android04 05-23-2018 09:11 PM

Thanks. I was talking with a buddy today and he made the same suggestion. I’m going to look at my brothers 85 this weekend and see if it will work. If so I plan to hit up a pull a part this Friday.

mfm3 05-25-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8266666)

Consider removing the sleeve and associated rubber and washers so the bar bolts directly to the top of the control arm. Worked for me. See post # 8 for pic.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=764102

Android04 05-29-2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfm3 (Post 8268194)
Consider removing the sleeve and associated rubber and washers so the bar bolts directly to the top of the control arm. Worked for me. See post # 8 for pic.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=764102

I will give it a try but I don't think it will clear given the amount of air still left in the bag when it hits. I think it will gain me a little more clearance. I will update tomorrow once I have the time to give it a go.

Thanks

aotte1 06-01-2018 12:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The 64 to 66’ C10 and 20 trucks with power assist came with front sway bar, e.g. 66’ Custom Camper, or had it available as an option. It is the same type as the 1 1/4 bar referenced above, only smaller in diameter. The factory lower control arms may already have holes for mounting the sway bar. The photos below are of a 65’ C10 with power assist steering and factory sway bar.
Photos show how connect to lower control arm, and their is a bracket on the bottom of frame rail that also attaches to the bar ( you can just see it some of the photos). Can take better photos showing bar, if needed.

Thanks,
Les

bonehead 06-01-2018 02:59 PM

if just the hydraulic line is the interference you could probably reform it to be higher and clear the bar.

It's hard to see what's going on in that pic for my old eyes. FWIW )bone(

Android04 06-08-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aotte1 (Post 8272572)
The 64 to 66’ C10 and 20 trucks with power assist came with front sway bar, e.g. 66’ Custom Camper, or had it available as an option. It is the same type as the 1 1/4 bar referenced above, only smaller in diameter. The factory lower control arms may already have holes for mounting the sway bar. The photos below are of a 65’ C10 with power assist steering and factory sway bar.
Photos show how connect to lower control arm, and their is a bracket on the bottom of frame rail that also attaches to the bar ( you can just see it some of the photos). Can take better photos showing bar, if needed.

Thanks,
Les

Thanks Les. My factory lower control arms do already have the holes for mounting. My CPP bar is just hitting the hydraulic lines and the power steering control valve. If I turn my wheel right slightly it will clear when bagged all the way out.

My chances of finding a stock one in those years are super slim I think. Unless you know something I don't. ha At this point I'm considering cutting the CPP bar in the middle and welding in a small section to open up the bar a little. My only concern is steering clearance. So I plan to tackle that in the next few weeks.

The Rocknrod 06-08-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8277391)
...At this point I'm considering cutting the CPP bar in the middle and welding in a small section to open up the bar a little. My only concern is steering clearance. So I plan to tackle that in the next few weeks.

Not so sure the spring steel will like that. I'm quite sure if you look and ask around you can find dimensions on sway bars that may work before cutting that one. At least that's what I would pursue. Opinions may vary. :)

Android04 06-08-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8277428)
Not so sure the spring steel will like that. I'm quite sure if you look and ask around you can find dimensions on sway bars that may work before cutting that one. At least that's what I would pursue. Opinions may vary. :)

Yeah I'm torn and have asked around. I really wish I could find a stock one like Les has in his pictures. I'm going to continue to do some research and see what I can find.

-Andrew

aotte1 06-10-2018 05:07 PM

Andrew,
Pretty sure, I have an extra front stock sway bar. Will check this week.

Les

Captainfab 06-10-2018 11:49 PM

There isn't any difference in shape of the factory sway bars '63-'87 or the mounting. The issue I see that happens is when the trucks are lowered. At a factory or slightly lowered ride height, I don't think there would be an issue.

Android04 06-13-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aotte1 (Post 8278741)
Andrew,
Pretty sure, I have an extra front stock sway bar. Will check this week.

Les

That would be amazing; I replied to your PM with my number.

I attempted to even drop down the CPP Bar, and add a spacer on the front mounts and it just won't clear. So I will have one for sale for anyone without power assist.

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

Android04 06-18-2018 11:22 AM

Les it was great meeting you and seeing your projects. Thank you for the sway bar sir!

My CPP bar will be available for sale if anyone is interested; just PM me.

rvrfoot 06-18-2018 11:43 AM

Will it work if you dont use the rubber spacer? Will there be room if you just bolt it to the lower arm?

Android04 06-18-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrfoot (Post 8283711)
Will it work if you dont use the rubber spacer? Will there be room if you just bolt it to the lower arm?

No sir; I tried each and every way possible.