The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Ordered from Western Chassis - received Chassis Tech? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=755743)

whitelightning603 01-27-2018 09:04 AM

Ordered from Western Chassis - received Chassis Tech?

Wanted to keep my 8 in ralley wheels, research showed Western Chassis would be best for 2.5 drop spindles. Summit kept pushing out ship date (for 3 months). Ordered from Western Chassis web site and received in 1 week. Spindles have "CHASSIS TECH" cast into them. I am familiar with reviews on Chassis Tech. Is this normal for Western Chassis to make this substitute? It would seem that most of the problems with the spindles are from 10 yrs ago. My first inclination is to send these back to Western. Thoughts?

bbbc10 01-28-2018 12:25 AM

Re: Ordered from Western Chassis - received Chassis Tech?

I would send them back. its should say western on them

SCOTI 01-29-2018 07:04 PM

Western Chassis is now owned by POL.

SCOTI 01-30-2018 10:40 AM

POL might have substituted Chassis Tech spindles (they wanted to on my order).

Since they (Western Chassis) messed up on another portion of my order from the beginning I was in contact w/them. As they were sorting through their error & got that corrected he mentioned there was also a back order issue for my selected spindles & a substitution was required to complete my order. I inquired what mfr. spindles I would be getting (he didn't know). When he got back on the phone he said CT's.

I cancelled my order.

Not sure what would have happened had they not made an error in the first portion of the transaction & I contacted them (they might have just shipped the 'substitute' spindles).

lolife99 01-30-2018 11:13 AM

Send them back.
Buy Belltech, McGaughy's, or EarlyClassic spindles.
Glad this info is getting out about POL (Performance Online) and Western Chassis.

whitelightning603 01-30-2018 11:20 AM

I contacted Western yesterday and after explaining the situation, was told the Chassis Tech "would carry the same warranty". I advised that the reason I ordered Western was because I wanted to use my rally wheels and everyone with experience found that no mods to lower control arms was needed and that Western had excellent reputation but Chassis Tech not so good. So the rep asked if he could call back after some investigation.

So later in the day, Rick called and advised "there had been a problem with some of the castings" and that was the reason for the substitution. Also it was unknown what the delivery date would be on the Western spindles so I told him I wanted Westerns, I had no confidence in the Chassis Techs and I would send them back and Rick gave me the 'RGA' number.

Just to be clear, I don't want to hurt Westerns reputation. The spindles I ordered were for 81-87 Chev C10 with 1" rotors. I have no knowledge of any other items.

Thanks for the replies. I will try another one of the 'top' brands.

SCOTI 01-30-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitelightning603 (Post 8173906)
I contacted Western yesterday and after explaining the situation, was told the Chassis Tech "would carry the same warranty". I advised that the reason I ordered Western was because I wanted to use my rally wheels and everyone with experience found that no mods to lower control arms was needed and that Western had excellent reputation but Chassis Tech not so good. So the rep asked if he could call back after some investigation.

So later in the day, Rick called and advised "there had been a problem with some of the castings" and that was the reason for the substitution. Also it was unknown what the delivery date would be on the Western spindles so I told him I wanted Westerns, I had no confidence in the Chassis Techs and I would send them back and Rick gave me the 'RGA' number.

Just to be clear, I don't want to hurt Westerns reputation. The spindles I ordered were for 81-87 Chev C10 with 1" rotors. I have no knowledge of any other items.

Thanks for the replies. I will try another one of the 'top' brands.

Basically the same conversation I had w/them. I chose Western after getting conflicting info about the Belltech spindles I had already purchased & returned (p/n did not match the casting #).

On top of that, I googled Chassis Tech spindles & by making this substitution, they're making more $$ on the sale since they retail for a lower initial cost (if you search around). IMHO, that is not good business practices. If you make a substitution, the purchaser should be notified before the transaction is approved.

lolife99 01-30-2018 12:21 PM

Belltech 3200 spindles work with the 1" rotors.
Also I'm not sure about your info concerning rally wheels working or not.
It all depends on the wheel diameter and backspacing.

lolife99 01-30-2018 12:25 PM

15x7 truck rallys have a 3-5/8" bs.
No issue.
15x6.5 and 15x8 truck rallys have a 4" bs and may require trimming of the lower a-arms around the ball joint.
This is a known issue.

A lot of aftermarket rally wheels only have a 3-1/2" backspace.
You have to compare apples to apples when you are talking wheels and spindles working together.

whitelightning603 01-30-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8173961)
15x7 truck rallys have a 3-5/8" bs.
No issue.
15x6.5 and 15x8 truck rallys have a 4" bs and may require trimming of the lower a-arms around the ball joint.
This is a known issue.

A lot of aftermarket rally wheels only have a 3-1/2" backspace.
You have to compare apples to apples when you are talking wheels and spindles working together.

Agreed. Since this is my first rodeo on lowering, I'm trying to piggy back on you guys experience and Western seemed most likely to clear. But if it is needed to trim LCR, I'm not opposed to it. I may try Belltech.

lolife99 01-30-2018 03:25 PM

Belltech may be a little more expensive ($311) but most places like Summit Racing offer free shipping.
They also come coated, where others are shipped in bare metal.

SCOTI 01-30-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8174069)
Belltech may be a little more expensive ($311) but most places like Summit Racing offer free shipping.
They also come coated, where others are shipped in bare metal.

Not sure all Belltechs come coated. The ones I ordered for my 99 (that had the casting number discrepancy) were bare.

lolife99 01-30-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8174158)
Not sure all Belltechs come coated. The ones I ordered for my 99 (that had the casting number discrepancy) were bare.

My last two sets of 73-87 had a dark gray finish on them.
But that’s been a while.

SCOTI 01-30-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8174202)
My last two sets of 73-87 had a dark gray finish on them.
But that’s been a while.

Could go either way then. I purchased a set just before Christmas.

Went to the new Arlington location to exchange them because the Belltech online REP said the number didn't match but it should so it was probably mix-boxed. At the exchange visit, the 2 other boxes Summit pulled were both the same (& sure looked 'as cast' to me).

Seems I'll be doing it all over again. I had to go back to the Belltech line a second time & that REP said the initial casting is one p/n. Then, if machined further, they get a different p/n ( they were p/n 3700 on the box; 3600 casting number on each spindle).

IDK @ this point. But, given my described WC experience above this week, I'll be purchasing another pair of Belltechs from Summit again.

MikeB 01-30-2018 11:20 PM

My 2.5" drop Western Chassis spindles for 1.25" rotors clear my GM 8" Rally wheels. To the person who said that just about any spindle clears 7" Rallys, that's true, but good luck finding a set of those wheels.

For what it's worth, when I was doing my search on dropped spindles, a McGaughy's guy told me his wouldn't clear my wheels. If he was wrong, well that's a good thing, I guess.

About POL/Western, I have to say I've had top notch customer service from them. The sway bar I bought from them had a problem, and after asking for photos they offered to send me another one the next day! And none of this crap about I must be doing something wrong, etc., etc., or that they have to charge my credit card, then issue credit when I return the first bar.

I will definitely buy from them in the future.

SCOTI 01-31-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8174440)
My 2.5" drop Western Chassis spindles for 1.25" rotors clear my GM 8" Rally wheels. To the person who said that just about any spindle clears 7" Rallys, that's true, but good luck finding a set of those wheels.

For what it's worth, when I was doing my search on dropped spindles, a McGaughy's guy told me his wouldn't clear my wheels. If he was wrong, well that's a good thing, I guess.

About POL/Western, I have to say I've had top notch customer service from them. The sway bar I bought from them had a problem, and after asking for photos they offered to send me another one the next day! And none of this crap about I must be doing something wrong, etc., etc., or that they have to charge my credit card, then issue credit when I return the first bar.

I will definitely buy from them in the future.

I would gladly pay for Westerns spindles. But if you shop chassis tech pricing, I would not pay the price for a WC spindle only to be given a CT spindle.

That's like paying for the nicer features you want on a 'loaded' truck & then get a stripped down version when it arrives (w/o them telling you they're sending you something different).

mongocanfly 01-31-2018 07:18 AM

another spindle thread.....makes you wonder what's going on...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=755491

zach_carver 01-31-2018 08:27 AM

I ordered Western chassis spindles from summit few weeks ago for my square and mine were western chassis brand when arrived.

SCOTI 01-31-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach_carver (Post 8174611)
I ordered Western chassis spindles from summit few weeks ago for my square and mine were western chassis brand when arrived.

I would have ordered WC spindles for my app from Summit but they have them marked up $100 over the price I paid (which included shipping) & last week the lead time indicated they would ship from the manufacturer (ETA 3/2018). I just checked again & it shows they could ship today (which is weird given what I initially saw last week) but they're still $100 more from them vs. a direct purchase.

For the OP (whitelightning603), it might be worth checking to see if Summit has what he needs & compare pricing.

Pro Performance 01-31-2018 12:30 PM

We sell the BellTech spindles... well their complete line.

Spindles for 73-87:
http://www.azproperformance.com/Bell...3100-3200.html

Warrens69GMC 01-31-2018 04:38 PM

Just Google Performance Online complaints.

MikeB 01-31-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8174664)
I would have ordered WC spindles for my app from Summit but they have them marked up $100 over the price I paid...

FYI, Summit will match any advertised price. I've done that several times over the years, most recently with a pair of Raybestos rotors. They matched Rock Auto's total price including Rock Auto's shipping charge.

SCOTI 01-31-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8175024)
FYI, Summit will match any advertised price. I've done that several times over the years, most recently with a pair of Raybestos rotors. They matched Rock Auto's total price including Rock Auto's shipping charge.

I'll have to check into that then.

MikeB 01-31-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8174906)
Just Google Performance Online complaints.

Just found them on YELP. Yes, not very good reviews. But heck, even Summit Racing gets only 3.5 stars, same as POL. And Summit is probably the best performance parts company I've ever dealt with -- for more than 25 years now. So maybe what we're seeing is this: Customers with problems are more likely to post reviews than happy customers.

SCOTI 01-31-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8175041)
Just found them on YELP. Yes, not very good reviews. But heck, even Summit Racing gets only 3.5 stars, same as POL. And Summit is probably the best performance parts company I've ever dealt with -- for more than 25 years now. So maybe what we're seeing is this: Customers with problems are more likely to post reviews than happy customers.

Curious..... How did you go about the 'price matching'? The cost I found was from the WC web site.