The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Numbers Matching (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=751844)

davepl 03-25-2018 02:07 PM

Re: Numbers Matching

1 Attachment(s)
Protecto plates are available that say SCOOBY DOO (or anything you want) for about $300, so it's a piece of evidence if you have it, but not authoritative.

I think the best documentation you can have is the original build sheet. Mine was stuck in the paint of the front of the bed...

davepl 03-25-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 8098145)
Of course ALL the Corvettes, Certain Chevelles and Camaros have value for "numbers matching" as they had specialty engine and transmissions and suspension packages available. Trucks are utilitarian in nature, and there were no specialty engine options or performance suspensions available. So, "numbers matching" to these trucks doesn't really apply to any kind of value other than sentimental value.

I believe my all-original 402 truck to be worth a lot more than an L6 truck.

Some trucks were purely utilitarian, to be sure. Mine is not. It was ordered by a family who used it for vacations and camping and ordered it with a lot of options. It was the Escalade ESV of its day.

To me it matters that my truck has the original engine (or at least so far as it can be proven). And I would not have paid what I for it if it didn't, so it definitely impacts value a lot beyond sentiment.

I would wager, though, that numbers matching only matters for a small set of trucks like mine or like a 4x4 SWB where you're paying a lot of money. But agreed that it's not as big a deal breaker as, say, a Corvette.

cbeerman 03-25-2018 02:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticman (Post 8221296)
Hello everyone, great topic for discussion. I'm also interested in researching originality of my truck.I'm a new member to this site. I have a 67K1500 swb wideside that I believe is a low mileage unmolested truck. I dont have the POP but the build sheet is still behind the seat. I was working on the truck the other day and noticed an ID tag still attached to the exhaust manifold gasket. That tag matches the #on the build sheet.(upper left corner in photo) I find in hard to believe that a truck that's 50 years old would still have this tag hanging off the engine. Did GMC use POP's?

Scott

Yes and you will find the engine size and serial number stamped on a pad in front of the pass side head under the fuel pump

Chevyland 03-25-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8221314)
Protecto plates are available that say SCOOBY DOO (or anything you want) for about $300, so it's a piece of evidence if you have it, but not authoritative.

I think the best documentation you can have is the original build sheet. Mine was stuck in the paint of the front of the bed...

I think you are confusing pop with spid
The pop is the metal plate that almost looks like a credit card
I agree build sheets are a very authoritative piece of evidence
As well as the spid
When you end up with the pop as well
(Which doesn’t happen very often)
You can pretty much get as close as possible (with these trucks) in identifying

If your truck is #s matching

Chevyland 03-25-2018 06:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I doubt numbers matching = a lot more money
Unless we are talking about rare/desirable trucks
For instance BB Shortbed cst or Supers
Or K10 Shortbed cst or Supers

I personally like every one of our trucks
But, when searching for them
I look for ‘as original as possible ‘

It’s not to often you come across trucks
Unmolested, With all the paperwork
It usually happens when it comes from an original owner
And he left everything in the glove box

Which hardly happens anymore

This is a very good example
A lot of paper work
Even has original licence plates with dealer frames
With original everything except, I repainted it
But not even close to the value of an undocumented
Shortbed

Chevyland 03-25-2018 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spid

Chevyland 03-25-2018 06:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
One more example
This is a Super, but is a longbed
I don’t have dealer paperwork
But, all service records etc. etc.
never been repainted
Engine even has its tower clamps on the hoses

Yes, nostalgic
But probably won’t break the bank

DeadheadNM 03-25-2018 08:39 PM

Thanks for sharing. We should have a "post your protect-o-plate still with original drive train" thread...