The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Project SLAMBULANCE (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=722400)

chaseman17 11-13-2016 11:30 AM

Project SLAMBULANCE

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I am pleased to be back on the 67-72 Chevy Truck forums!

I just picked up this exceptionally clean 1969 Suburban Ambulance & the plans for a build are beginning to form in my head. I have not built a C10 since my '67 C10 about 6 years ago... (build thread & YouTube video...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=455024 videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTc1W7Xgo-U)

At any rate, here are some photos of the new acquisition. 1969 / 24,900 miles, 350, turbo 400, AC, PB, PS. By far, the most solid unrestored C10 I have ever seen. it has had a respray at some point, though I don't know when. If I were a guessing man, I would estimate some time in the 90s, but will likely never know.

Here is the limited information I have on the truck. Originally in service in Hugo, Colorado. Sold to an individual in Hugo who eventually sold it to a collector in Bend, Oregon. The collector in Bend passed away and a friend of mine bought it + about 35 other cars from the estate about 5 years ago. It was transported to Michigan & has been sitting in a building collecting dust ever since.

I first saw it in photos from Oregon when my friend was dealing with the executors of the estate. I knew at that time that I wanted it, but was in the middle of building my '67, so the timing was not right. Fortunately for me, the truck came to Michigan and was stored away - WAY out of sight for others to see.

I have put about 200 miles on it already & with the exception of some wobbly tires at 50+ mph, it runs very well. I would already trust it to go about anywhere. This will be a fun project.

This first grouping of photos shows it in the storage facility here in Michigan. The last photo is the first shot i ever saw of it about 5 years ago. The C10 is in the back left of the photo.

chaseman17 11-13-2016 11:32 AM

Re: Project SLAMBULANCE

5 Attachment(s)
More photos.

These were taken after giving it a good bath.

CST10 11-13-2016 11:36 AM

Sweet. Can't wait to see the build. That's a great find.

chaseman17 11-13-2016 11:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The plans for this truck formed very quickly in my head, so I had a friend create a rendering for what my vision of Project SLAMBULANCE is.

While he was creating the rendering, I began communicating with Boris at Street Machinery in Euclid, OH. Boris knows his stuff & is famous for his "Stop, Drop & Roll" work that he performs on a variety of classic cars. The STR package is exactly where I wanted to start, so he ordered up the goodies for me & once the Billet Specialty 20" smoothies were built, I headed to Cleveland to meet Boris and pick up the parts.

It was great to meet the guys & check out some of the in-process work they were performing & even get a few additional ideas for this project.

Driving it around the first couple weeks, I quickly became tired of people saying it looked like the Ghostbusters car, so we are going to add some red paint to it to liven up the look and stop the Ghostbusters comments! It goes in for paint on December 5 & once it is back home, the suspension, brakes & a variety of other goodies will be installed.

The first photo below is of the rendering. It is a cartoon drawing, so it is a bit exaggerated, but he absolutely nailed the vision and feel that we will aim for. The other pics are a few from the visit to Street Machinery (Boris on left, me on right) and a few of the parts we picked up.

chaseman17 11-13-2016 11:59 AM

The wheels are from Billet Specialty. 20" x 8.5 fronts & 20" x 10 in the rear. 5.25" backspacing in front & 5.5" backspacing in the rears.

Center caps are from a 1964-1966 half ton.

Tires are Continental Extreme Contact DW. Fronts are 245/40/ZR20 & Rears are 275/35/ZR20.

We are adding disc brakes to the front from 1973-1987 C10's. Adding a Corvette master cylinder as well.

Suspension wise, it is getting a C-notch, air ride and drop spindles.

The stop, drop and roll work will all be done by myself and friends, so it should be a fun project!

old51sedan 11-13-2016 12:52 PM

What a great find, looking forward to the build.

Custom/20 11-13-2016 05:54 PM

Definitely subbing to this thread! Looks like a awesome project!

GR8-68 11-13-2016 06:17 PM

This will be an awesome build :metal:

flashed 11-13-2016 07:31 PM

Im in for this one.

Kw69 11-13-2016 08:51 PM

Being a 18 year veteran so far in the fire service, I love this ambulance and can't wait to see it when finished. I personally would leave it alone, but I'm happy to see that you are going to create a really cool design. I'm in for this build as well, keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

LongBox 11-13-2016 09:15 PM

Really a great find of a unique truck. It's your truck, so enjoy it anyway you like. Speaking just for me, I'd leave it as it is, as it is so unique, a piece of history.

hooverfish 11-13-2016 09:19 PM

Nice, so very original, beautiful condition..
Fan shroud looks like a ........ big block ??

yuccales 11-13-2016 09:35 PM

Way cool!

Malamute 11-13-2016 09:44 PM

Pretty cool!

chaseman17 11-13-2016 11:11 PM

Thanks for the comments. The engine is a 350 / 4bbl & turbo 400 trans. I expect the radiator and shroud is all HD stuff since it likely was built to sit idling for long periods of time.
As for the build itself, I intend on keeping the interior and driveline original at this time. With the exception of the C-Notch, any of the planned mods are reversible & I will certainly keep all the original parts and hardware.
I am excited to get started & enjoy it next summer.

Advanced Design 11-13-2016 11:20 PM

Very cool Suburban and back story on it. Tagging along for the modifications.

Hart_Rod 11-14-2016 09:17 AM

Kewl

rpone605 11-14-2016 09:46 AM

I was up there on Friday when you were picking up your stuff.

Look forward to seeing the build.

chaseman17 12-13-2016 10:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A quick update. Project SLAMBULANCE has officially begun. It is now at the body shop getting a couple small dings repaired and prepping for the red paint. In addition to the red paint, they will wet sand and clear the whole truck. The shop is close to home, so I can swing by most afternoons and check progress. Let the fun begin!

Twin Turbo Skylark 12-13-2016 12:07 PM

Super cool project!

chaseman17 12-16-2016 04:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Project SLAMBULANCE is all ready for paint. Color will be applied on Tuesday of next week. I believe they will shoot the white first and then the red. I am excited to see it take on its new appearance~

chaseman17 12-17-2016 06:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My question of the day has to do with seat covers. According to the information in my glovebox, this Suburban has the 4618CD Custom Cloth Interior TR. I like the looks of the seat covers and they are in very good condition for their age. I am struggling finding a correct replacement. Brothers has one that is close, but does not have the scroll work in the middle.
Any thoughts of where I can find the correct covers? I have looked at classic parts, impala Bobs & Cars inc & have not found an exact.
Thanks for the assistance!

GR8-68 12-17-2016 07:28 AM

:metal: This is going to be cool :chevy:

SoCoC10 12-23-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseman17 (Post 7798071)
My question of the day has to do with seat covers. According to the information in my glovebox, this Suburban has the 4618CD Custom Cloth Interior TR. I like the looks of the seat covers and they are in very good condition for their age. I am struggling finding a correct replacement. Brothers has one that is close, but does not have the scroll work in the middle.
Any thoughts of where I can find the correct covers? I have looked at classic parts, impala Bobs & Cars inc & have not found an exact.
Thanks for the assistance!

Try Larry with Truck World. They are the manufacturer for user name Truck Seats here on this forum. You might also look at N2Billit's build of Hazel. He mentions a material supplier he used to have his seat made. Good luck!

chaseman17 12-23-2016 07:43 PM

Thanks for the lead!