The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thoughts on a new supe rcase muncieM22/wide ratio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730917)

crazy longhorn 02-21-2017 02:44 AM

Thoughts on a new supe rcase muncieM22/wide ratio

What do you all think about that M-22 Muncie super case, with new Italian gears? I am looking @ a wide ratio box, to replace the Richmond trans....dont need the OD , with the 3.42 gears. I love the gear whine, no issues;) Longhorn

jjzepplin 02-21-2017 06:15 AM

Re: Thoughts on a new supe rcase muncieM22/wide ratio

Would like to see one. Do you have a link?

mongocanfly 02-21-2017 06:54 AM

Found this.there's mention of maserio gears.http://www.autogear.net/motorsports/

homemade87 02-21-2017 07:46 AM

I have had 2 of them . One was there version of the m22 2.20 first gear . I pounded on that thing and it never missed a beat . They came out with some other gears so I got there new m23z. It has 2.98 first gear and allowed me to get rid of the 4.56 rear gear and put in a 3.73 and still launch the car .Also It allowed me to be able to drive somewhere . This is all in a 67 camaro ls2/ls3 ported top end carbed motor 600+hp .

There is several gear combos now to choose from for your needs. These trans are strong .This is what GM should have built . George at AG was great to work with . They can build most anything you need .

When I ordered it and told him what I was going to do to it he basically said let it rip . The other nice thing is both of mine shifted smooth with out any hiccups .

They have really made improvement on these trans .

Longhorn , As you said these m22/m23 do whine but not a problem for me as well . In 4th gear the trans is a 1 to 1 so no whine there while cruising .

Here is the gear choices now .http://www.autogear.net/wp-content/u...se_modular.pdf

AcampoDave 02-22-2017 10:55 AM

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to replacing my 3 ring saginaw with the M22z. The Saginaw has the really low 3.50 first and I use a 2.76 rear. It works good for a cruiser, but many on the net say the m22z with a 2.98 first is perfectly suited for a 3.08. (Which I have laying around). Everything I've read indicates that the new Muncie is a stout tranny and cleary more economical than going the TKO route.

jjzepplin 02-22-2017 12:07 PM

Any idea what these are costing?

homemade87 02-22-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 7865105)
Would like to see one. Do you have a link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 7866450)
Any idea what these are costing?

As for a picture google autogear muncie picture and you will see it looks basicly just like the old muncie trans .

Cost is going to be 1700 to 2300 depends on what you get . There is a price list on the link mongocanfly posted . Just have to dig around for it .

Also just to warn some that there is a lot of people buying parts from autogear and building trans and calling them autogear . You will see alot on ebay . They are not a trans that is build by the Syracuse people . There is a couple builders that build there own with there performance twist to them that would be fine . For me I bought mine direct . Also for warranty purposes .

I love my trans and would buy another .

crazy longhorn 02-22-2017 06:19 PM

Thanks guys! The trans, seems to come in around the price of a Richmond T-10....but looks to me to be MUCH better built. I might miss the OD ratio, on the hyway....but dont run there that much? A 3.42 gear/29" tire will still cruise pretty easy @ legal hyway speeds & still have a fairly rowdy cam into the "sweet spot" ;) Longhorn

crazy longhorn 02-25-2017 09:11 PM

Just another question.... I have done the read on 2 different shops. Auto gear is the 1st , & 5 speeds .com was the next. Paul Cangialosi, has several U-tube videos out on the build. He talks about using the super case & tail, with his own billet steel rear bearing support,italian gears, & no rock sliders (Syracruse NY). Any thoughts on either shop? Longhorn

homemade87 02-26-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy longhorn (Post 7869612)
Just another question.... I have done the read on 2 different shops. Auto gear is the 1st , & 5 speeds .com was the next. Paul Cangialosi, has several U-tube videos out on the build. He talks about using the super case & tail, with his own billet steel rear bearing support,italian gears, & no rock sliders (Syracruse NY). Any thoughts on either shop? Longhorn

Both of those shops are fine . Paul does his own twist to them like fine tune the sliders so they will slide smooth as silk as well as some other things . I think he has a video on this if you have not seen it on the slides . Auto gear is the maker of the parts and does there own builds . They do a micro polish on there m23's and is available on other trans . The micro polish gets you past the break in period with out some of the notch feel and makes them slide smooth when new . Both of the ones I had shifted smooth at any rpm up to 7000 . You will spend more money on Pauls trans but he does do a lot of extras to his . I would like to have the sliders he sets up in mine but I have not deemed it necessary in the auto gear trans .

Just to add a note to your previous post . I have a 28" tire 3.73 gears and cruise at about 2700 rpm at 60mph . With my healthy cam this motor likes it with no problem . A 3.42 with 29" tires should be some where in the low to mid 2000rpm

James the III 02-26-2017 12:14 PM

3.42 and 29" @60 is 2377rpm

Tom 02-26-2017 02:44 PM

I'll be buying a supercase soon as my front bearing support is loose on my current M20. Heard nothing but good things about these guys.

crazy longhorn 02-26-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homemade87 (Post 7869917)
Both of those shops are fine . Paul does his own twist to them like fine tune the sliders so they will slide smooth as silk as well as some other things . I think he has a video on this if you have not seen it on the slides . Auto gear is the maker of the parts and does there own builds . They do a micro polish on there m23's and is available on other trans . The micro polish gets you past the break in period with out some of the notch feel and makes them slide smooth when new . Both of the ones I had shifted smooth at any rpm up to 7000 . You will spend more money on Pauls trans but he does do a lot of extras to his . I would like to have the sliders he sets up in mine but I have not deemed it necessary in the auto gear trans .

Just to add a note to your previous post . I have a 28" tire 3.73 gears and cruise at about 2700 rpm at 60mph . With my healthy cam this motor likes it with no problem . A 3.42 with 29" tires should be some where in the low to mid 2000rpm

Thanks for the "heads up"....I rebuilt those old Muncies, way back in the day(before they were worn/stretched out). Pauls vidios really impressed me, & I think that may be the route to go! Again thanks to all for the info ;)... Longhorn

AcampoDave 02-26-2017 08:45 PM

C.L....if you buy one, I'd really like to know how it works out!

AcampoDave 12-17-2017 10:32 PM

Did you ever buy that Muncie C.L?

crazy longhorn 12-18-2017 06:08 PM

No sir.....kids /grand kids, & home repairs , have kept my buzzy! I also have a new (to me ) driver truck, pretty nice 2014 Z-71, with 31000 miles. My cash is tyed for a while....if you try the trans 1st, post back! IMHO, Paul showed the build, & that would be the way that I would go;) longhorn

jjzepplin 12-18-2017 08:56 PM

These things look mean. Are they stronger than the TKO? Sure would like strength and overdrive!

homemade87 12-19-2017 09:55 AM

I cant say about the TKO , but I can attest to the autogear trans . I have been beating on them for a while . Foot to the floor power shifting and never let up going thru all the gears . I must say by the time I get to 4th its time to let up . Never miss a beat at 7000 rpm shifts.

Most will not use there trans like I do . Autogear says no problem and I have proven this . If you are using street tires you will most likely not put the trans to the limits .

As for overdrive . There is many gear selections now that will allow you to run something like a 3.08 gear and will give you some good drive ability and cruise speed .

In the end it depends what you want to do and your end goal . My end goal was to go fast in a short period of time reliably . I run the M23z

jjzepplin 12-19-2017 12:02 PM

Rightl then. Hmmm. My 66 Chevelle had a stock rear. I'm guessing it was a 3.08 and a close ratio M22 with a stout 350 and that thing was unstoppable. SO maybe I have to ditch my 3.73s. I guess I will try them out first. It's only a Saginaw in there now so I will mess that up while saving for either a TKO or Super Case. The Muncie would be an easier swap so Maybe that way.

homemade87 12-19-2017 12:26 PM

Reason for the 3.73 or higher ratios was the m22 has a 2.20 first gear . Very hard to get that thing moving with the 3.08 . It will feel like you are starting off in 2nd gear , but great for for cruising .

The new autogears does have a 2.98 first gear . In mine it has a 2.22 2nd gear . Nearly the same as the original m22 1st gear . With the 3.08 to 3.42 ( depends on what you like ) you will have a much better take off speed but still have better cruise speeds . There is several different ratio sets to choose from now .

If you are a muncie now you will definitely be an easier swap . The trans is 3/4 to 1" longer so you maybe have to shorten the driveshaft . And a couple more tweaks . A lot less than a TKO .

I hope crazy Longhorn dont mind us chatting in his thread .

jjzepplin 12-19-2017 12:51 PM

Me too! I just wish the Muncie could have an overdrive-ish 4th gear. By the time I get to 4th I need something more than 1-1.
Sorry Crazy...

AcampoDave 12-19-2017 09:47 PM

https://www.5speeds.com/newm22.html scroll down a tad to view the various ratios available. I still haven't got one yet either. Got me a new roof on the house instead.

crazy longhorn 12-21-2017 05:42 PM

Guys, you are 'busted", for chatting on this thread:lol: No issues, this crazy old man can still learn from the younger guys;) I just want all to know....I do not know Paul, & not have ever dealt with him? I have however, rebuild many old Muncies (back in the day), & what I see on the vids really impress me that he is building "right on"! Longhorn

jjzepplin 12-22-2017 02:01 PM

Sooooo, How do you like your Richmond 6 speed? Durable? That longhorn sounds like it isn't short on anything...Linky to pics?

OBS454 12-24-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homemade87 (Post 8108956)
Reason for the 3.73 or higher ratios was the m22 has a 2.20 first gear . Very hard to get that thing moving with the 3.08 . It will feel like you are starting off in 2nd gear , but great for for cruising .

The new autogears does have a 2.98 first gear . In mine it has a 2.22 2nd gear . Nearly the same as the original m22 1st gear . With the 3.08 to 3.42 ( depends on what you like ) you will have a much better take off speed but still have better cruise speeds . There is several different ratio sets to choose from now .

If you are a muncie now you will definitely be an easier swap . The trans is 3/4 to 1" longer so you maybe have to shorten the driveshaft . And a couple more tweaks . A lot less than a TKO .

I hope crazy Longhorn dont mind us chatting in his thread .

Good advice there. I just went through the grief of M21 then M20 and finally DN 4+1 (3.27 1st) on my 68 C10 Previous setup was 700R4 and proper gearing is critical on standard shift to get the weight moving. My gears in back are 3.08 which were fine until I got away from automatic transmissions.