The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   pick your part tools list (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=727208)

moregrip 01-11-2017 02:32 PM

pick your part tools list

I'm trying to gather what tools I should bring to my local pick a part in the event I find something I can't live without! Since its been a while since I've wrenched on these old Chevy's what would you consider essential without getting too over the top?:chevy:

chrismoore701 01-11-2017 02:35 PM

Re: pick your part tools list

Socket set, pliers, wire cutters and screw drivers

notallthere 01-11-2017 02:44 PM

A good sharp knife, wagon to carry all the tools and parts. If you need electrical take a small 12V battery for testing. WD40. I also have an 18V impact that I bring to make things a little faster.

tucsonjwt 01-11-2017 03:57 PM

It depends on what you are looking for. Your best bet is to bring a full set of tools and leave it in your vehicle outside. Once you find what you want, go back and get the specific tools you need and put them in a small canvas tote bag.

If you want to find out if an electrical component works, use that 18V battery from a cordless drill. Get two pieces of household romex wire 12 ga or 14 ga) and shove the wire into the contacts of the battery. Use two alligator clips and some small stranded wire to connect to those wire pieces, and connect the other ends of the stranded wire to the contacts on the electrical device (you can use two more alligator clips for that also.) You can use the alligator clip and wire from a couple of 12V continuity testers to simplify the process.

You should really consider what you need first, then go hunting.

vht 01-11-2017 03:58 PM

Some stuff on later one's is metric, 10mm instead of 3/8's and so forth. 13/16 socket if you have to take out seat belts, breaker bar and 1/2 drive ratchet. I take my battery powered drivers, 1/4 in set, small set of torque bits, hammer, phillips bits, and a pry bar. I just went back and got a steering wheel because the last time I didn't have a puller with me. No matter what you take you'll be missing something.

notallthere 01-11-2017 04:31 PM

I almost forgot this one and this is not a tool but just to help you out. Bring water, and a small snack if you are going to be out there for a while. You would be surprised at the amount of calories you burn or water you loose wrenching out in the middle of a wrecking yard.

3drburb 01-11-2017 04:36 PM

All the tools above plus gloves, eye protection and cardboard or some to lay or kneeling on.

Matt Man 01-11-2017 07:59 PM

I bring much of the above. I would also bring vice grips they have helped me a bunch.

leddzepp 01-11-2017 08:08 PM

Bring every possible tool that you can lock in your truck. Walk the yard with nothing other than a bottle of water. If you find something, get your hand stamped and go get the tools you need out of your truck. This beats wondering and wandering around with 100 lbs of crap.

72 tigger 01-11-2017 08:56 PM

Vise grips are handy

flashed 01-11-2017 10:19 PM

Battery powered Sawsall .

El Dorado Jim 01-12-2017 03:14 AM

I have a box of metric and a box of standard tools i bring to the wrecking yard and a little red wagon,i walk the yard first ,always carry my leatherman tool on me, if i find something i cant get with that, i go back to my truck and get whatever box i need and the wagon and go back in and get what i need....i put these tool boxes together with all us made tools from garage sales, i dont use foreign made tools,they are junk,

moregrip 01-12-2017 08:52 AM

thank you for all the input! it helped me quite a bit! I have my tools list together!

duallydude63 01-12-2017 05:49 PM

what i like to do is go inside & make sure they have what am lookin for then go back to my truck and get the tools i really need no reason to take all the tools in if u dont need them !!!