The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What heater controls should I have? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332024)

SlimPikins 03-05-2009 02:28 PM

What heater controls should I have?

I only have two heater controls on my dash. One is the fan, and the other switches between defrost and floor. I have been looking at switches online and everything I see is a four switch set, and they all say deluxe. In 63, was having four switches an option? I have searched around the heater box in the cab and do not see a lever that would control the temperature. Does anyone know what the fourth switch is? I'm assuming that three of them are def/floor, temp and fan. Any insight from the members would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slim.

Here is a pic of my controls.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...vyTruck020.jpg

SlimPikins 03-06-2009 09:38 PM

Re: What heater controls should I have?

http://www.lxforums.com/board/images...miley_aagv.gif

Any ideas?

I'm curious to whether my truck should have all four controls.

Corts60 03-06-2009 09:47 PM

Slim- My truck also only has fan and floor/defrost switches. I think that is all the bare bones trucks came with back then....

SlimPikins 03-06-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corts60 (Post 3184027)
Slim- My truck also only has fan and floor/defrost switches. I think that is all the bare bones trucks came with back then....

Is yours like mine, two controls but four slots?

Captainfab 03-07-2009 01:33 AM

If you only have two levers, assuming the others aren't just broken, then you most likely have a recirculating heater. Is the heater core, fan and all inside the cab?

The deluxe heaters are the ones with four levers, temp, fan, heat/defrost, and I think the 4th controls the coolant flow. Not positive though....

jonzcustomshop 03-07-2009 04:39 AM

yes 2 switches, and 4 slots, the 2 empty slots backed with a piece of rubber...= the cheap heater.

SlimPikins 03-07-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 3184555)
yes 2 switches, and 4 slots, the 2 empty slots backed with a piece of rubber...= the cheap heater.

Well that's a bummer, doesn't look like there is a way to totally turn off the heat just the fan. I'm guessing that if I find the other style in a junkyard it will fit in my truck?

jonzcustomshop 03-07-2009 07:02 PM

yes, make sure to get the control too.
some times you can find the entire heater delete system too, if you want to go that route.. just has block off plates for the cowl and dash.

aboz 03-07-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimPikins (Post 3184897)
Well that's a bummer, doesn't look like there is a way to totally turn off the heat just the fan. I'm guessing that if I find the other style in a junkyard it will fit in my truck?

Greetings Slim. I too have the two knob heater that sits under the dash in my '63. It was called a "Recirculating Heater" and was offered from 60-63 and came with only a two lever control panel. The "Deluxe Heater" was offered from 60-66 and the blower was located under the hood. 60-63 had a four knob control panel and the 64-66 had a three knob control panel. There was also a "Thrift Air Heater" that was offered from 64-66 that came with only a single knob control panel. It seems the hardest thing to find for any of these units is the original housing. Everything else (core,switches,blower motor,knobs and hoses) is reproduced by most of your parts companies like LMC.

Revoh 03-09-2009 03:21 PM

I have the deluxe heater with the four levers, and don't worry, it's not the marvel of technology that you may think. All old heaters I've had the pleasure of using seem about the same--either they're hot, or they're off. The idea that you can control the temp is marginal at best. When you start getting hot, turn it off. When you start getting cold, turn it on. If heat comes out of the vents, you're doing just fine.

Redline 03-09-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revoh (Post 3188237)
I have the deluxe heater with the four levers, and don't worry, it's not the marvel of technology that you may think. All old heaters I've had the pleasure of using seem about the same--either they're hot, or they're off. The idea that you can control the temp is marginal at best. When you start getting hot, turn it off. When you start getting cold, turn it on. If heat comes out of the vents, you're doing just fine.

That's a great explanation!!!!!!!!! And very true

SlimPikins 03-09-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revoh (Post 3188237)

Too funny!

derider 03-09-2009 10:46 PM

I have a 66 it just has a fan on off/speed knob, and then a lever under the dash that swithces it from the floor to the defrost. I have to manually go under the hood and flip a lever on the passenger side of the heater box to get it to heat or to be actually off. There is a grommett right behind that lever but nothing going to it. I am assuming this would be for the deluxe heater controls? That portion of my dash is just blank, no levers.

LILRED66 03-09-2009 11:00 PM

I have several trucks with the Deluxe Air heating/defrost system. With a properly maintained system and a new blower motor, the system regulates very good.

jbgroby 03-09-2009 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Slim,

Both Chevy and GMC offered a delux heater for the '60 model trucks click this link if th epic don't post.

What you have is "Economy Recirculating" with 2 switches

The other "option" availble is called "Deluxe Air-Flow" I can emai you more pictures if needed.......here goes

jbgroby 03-09-2009 11:05 PM

BTW the 4th. switch was for A/C.

SlimPikins 03-10-2009 12:04 AM

Thanks for all the useful info to everyone.
I live in the NW where you may have heard rains a bit, lol.
The heater I have now does a terrible job of clearing the windshield of fog. I will probably start by making sure the heater box is put together with no gaps. I think maybe some air is leaking out of the chambers because I don't get much air out the defrost. The switch is worn and the wires have been spliced so I only have one fan speed. I will work on that also. If none of this works I may look around for a deluxe box and see if I can retrofit it to my truck.

jbgroby 03-10-2009 07:34 AM

Slim,

I have an extra defrost plemtum box, email me direct at maybe we can trade sum'tin

jbgroby@charter.net

ol Curt 03-10-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derider (Post 3189053)
I have a 66 it just has a fan on off/speed knob, and then a lever under the dash that swithces it from the floor to the defrost. I have to manually go under the hood and flip a lever on the passenger side of the heater box to get it to heat or to be actually off. There is a grommett right behind that lever but nothing going to it. I am assuming this would be for the deluxe heater controls? That portion of my dash is just blank, no levers.

You might just have one of the cables broken on the end that fastens to the box on firewall. Mine was broken, but I was able to hook it back up after buying new cables.

LILRED66 03-10-2009 07:03 PM

Try disassembling your heater system, cleaning everything, reassembling with 3M Strip Caulk, replacing the heater blower motor, heater resistor and heater switch, checking all electrical wiring and connections and control cables. I think you will find, if the system is well maintained and operating properly, it will be adequate, even in the NW.

SlimPikins 03-10-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LILRED66 (Post 3190441)
Try disassembling your heater system, cleaning everything, reassembling with 3M Strip Caulk, replacing the heater blower motor, heater resistor and heater switch, checking all electrical wiring and connections and control cables. I think you will find, if the system is well maintained and operating properly, it will be adequate, even in the NW.

I will do that. I saw in my quick examination that there are places where there are screws missing that hold sections of the unit together and there are gaps. I know that cant be good! ;)