The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Won’t start. First time my truck has ever defeated me. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797796)

Isaiah92260 12-08-2019 02:39 AM

Won’t start. First time my truck has ever defeated me.

So today my carburetor was puking gas out from all over the place. I figured because the jets got clogged up from dirty gas. I probably havnt changed my gas filter since September. So I put in a new filter. She still won’t start.
So then I cracked up the carburetor and cleaned out the jet and the insides good. Still won’t start. Then I went as far as sucked out gas from the manifold with a siphon thinking that the motor got flooded. Got not start still.
Then I found the #4 and #6 spark plugs were wet.
Then I tried sucking out anything from the spark plug holes but no gas, so then I installed new spark plugs, AND STILL WONT START. I even tried spraying starting fluid and nothing. I have a 1961 235 that I’ve been driving around with no problems before. The carburetor is a single B Rochester. If anyone knows what might be wrong please help... I have a Petronix ignition upgrade and a new coil that are at least 4 months old, so I can’t believe it would be that..

nsb29 12-08-2019 09:35 AM

Re: Won’t start. First time my truck has ever defeated me.

If you’re carb was dumping gas the float was stuck open, pull the plugs and let it dry out, you can turn the motor over to help if you have air to blow it out. I would clean your plugs before you put them back. If it still doesn’t start check to see if you’re getting gas the float can stick closed as well

sstock 12-08-2019 10:00 AM

Seen a lot of Carburetors get the blame for a failing pertronix, you didnt happen to leave the key on and the engine off lately did you?

cgrocen 12-08-2019 12:31 PM

My money is on a faulty Pertronix. My buddy here in town had a Pertronix fail on his Chevy truck. Check for spark. You may not have spark. Even with the starting fluid, you should have at least got something, even a 2 second sputter.

bhap 12-08-2019 01:19 PM

NSB29 has it right. Float stuck allows gas to flood engine. Assuming this is a stock engine with mechanical fuel pump, the longer you crank, the more fuel dumps into engine. Time for a rebuild. Buy a kit, keep track of how it comes apart and it should be an easy fix.

vince1 12-08-2019 04:26 PM

I had the 250 flooding and filling the crankcase full of fuel because a new fuel cap would vent in and not out. With the changing of weather from hot to cold a lot of pressure would build in the tank, although it would still start.

With flooding it sounds like you may have a compromised float needle but I agree that the first thing to check for is spark.

Just another your/you're link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srssajH4NMk

Isaiah92260 12-12-2019 12:00 AM

Hey fellas thank you for your replies. I have no idea still why my carburetor was flooding like it did, i actually bought this carburetor as an original unit that was professionally rebuilt by a local shop near me in El Monte, CA. I did like what you said @ nsb29 and I took part the carburetor and cleaned it out really good, I let the block air out.
Still didn’t start.
So finally I checked for spark and like you guys mentioned @ sstock & @ cgrocen I checked out the cool first and I was getting no power. I guess the petronix May have fried our my old coil? I’m pretty sure it was a high amp coil too
It runs good now.
On to the next project..

chevy_mike 12-12-2019 02:19 PM

Pertronix needs full 12 volts but your coil typically does not. That is why GM had a resistor wire and other brands used a firewall mounted resistor.

Isaiah92260 12-12-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 8641801)
Pertronix needs full 12 volts but your coil typically does not. That is why GM had a resistor wire and other brands used a firewall mounted resistor.

Oh I see. How do I add a resistor for reassurance ?

Clyde65 12-12-2019 11:40 PM

If your keeping the pertronix you won’t need the resistor

franken 12-13-2019 01:33 AM

I'll guess it's the ignition, but. Don't check for spark.
Pull the carb and plugs. Put the plugs back in. Connect them to plug wires. Crank and shoot B12 down the manifold.
Check for spark.
Sorry :)