The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rig pulling to right when braking (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748081)

cheepin 10-08-2017 09:19 PM

Rig pulling to right when braking

Our 87 V20 Suburban pulls to the right when braking. Pretty much everything is new. New all spring 4" lift,shocks,steering arm,brake calipers,pads,rotors,draglink and steering box. Tierod ends will be here tuesday. Was doing it before we put the calipers on. Thought that would solve it. Maybe the brakeline is clogged?

mongocanfly 10-08-2017 10:34 PM

Re: Rig pulling to right when braking

could be deteriorated rubber brake line..have you tried bleeding the brakes to check for fluid flow? ...could be bad caliper

cheepin 10-08-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8056772)
could be deteriorated rubber brake line..have you tried bleeding the brakes to check for fluid flow? ...could be bad caliper

Just put the calipers on today. Since it was doing it before that I would assume it's not the new caliper. But It could be the line. I was doing the pedal pumping while my son bled. The pedal did feel different then when we bled the other side.

rwhit57 10-09-2017 12:43 AM

Deteriorated brake line is probably correct. Change the hoses both sides bleed brakes and I'll bet problem solved.

mongocanfly 10-09-2017 06:03 AM

I've also seen twisted rubber brakelines...rolling the caliper over without realizing it...a kink or twist will hinder fluid movement

TexasJeff 10-09-2017 07:18 AM

10 to 1 it is a bad rubber line, if one is bad, the rest are not far behind, change then all.

Keith Seymore 10-09-2017 11:55 AM

There is also a fundamental design characteristic that causes the K/V trucks to go to the right during braking: the fore/aft steering drag link is trying to be compressed by the front axle windup. Since it can't be compressed it physically inputs a RH turn into the knuckle or, conversely, can also roll the steering wheel to the left. This is common on Blazers (shorter wheelbase makes them less stable and makes the phenomenon more obvious) and with 2 leaf front springs. Adding 3 leaf front springs (or a traction bar) to minimize axle windup helps the situation.

If you exhaust all of your brake options I would look at that next.

K

rwhit57 10-09-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8057078)
There is also a fundamental design characteristic that causes the K/V trucks to go to the right during braking: the fore/aft steering drag link is trying to be compressed by the front axle windup. Since it can't be compressed it physically inputs a RH turn into the knuckle or, conversely, can also roll the steering wheel to the left. This is common on Blazers (shorter wheelbase makes them less stable and makes the phenomenon more obvious) and with 2 leaf front springs. Adding 3 leaf front springs (or a traction bar) to minimize axle windup helps the situation.

If you exhaust all of your brake options I would look at that next.

K

I've never heard of this before. I've owned a couple of K trucks and never experienced it, or maybe just don't recall it. It seems you would have to be on the brakes pretty hard to get that movement, it doesn't seem possible under just normal braking unless the leaf springs were just that soft. I would think that lifting the truck would enhance that action though.
Randy

Bandit130 10-09-2017 06:33 PM

I experienced similar braking on 72 C10 I purchased in 2014. Searched and found that flex (rubber) brake hoses fail internally. They actually close up internally over time not allowing proper fluid flow to defective side. It pulled very hard right, so left side was bad. Replaced both. Same thing happened on the 74 C10 purchased in 2015. PO had replaced left but not right. Had slight pull to left. Replaced right side. worked great, no more pull.

This may not be your problem. Wanted to pass on my experience.

Leonard60 10-09-2017 06:43 PM

Had the same issue on a new 1986 truck I bought in 86. Pulled to the right took it back to dealer got it back pulled hard to the left now truck was worse. They had it back in shop a few time finally they replaced every braking component on the truck (less the steel lines ) and that finally fixed it. After a couple of years the truck started to have real bad break fade never did figure that out so I traded it off. Bought a 1989.

cheepin 10-09-2017 10:50 PM

So we seemed to have fixed the problem for the most part. Still pulls a little but not bad. But we have been chasing loose steering. Like I said it has about new everything. But the lift has only been on about a 2 months. Well finally figured out the front driverside ubolts loosened and let the spring center pin loosen. SO the axle was moving back and forth about 2"! Tightened everything down and it is fine now. The rig belongs to my son and I told him to re torque everything after a couple weeks of driving it 100miles a day to work. Well he didn't. Doah.

Keith Seymore 10-11-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwhit57 (Post 8057283)
I've never heard of this before. I've owned a couple of K trucks and never experienced it, or maybe just don't recall it. It seems you would have to be on the brakes pretty hard to get that movement, it doesn't seem possible under just normal braking unless the leaf springs were just that soft. I would think that lifting the truck would enhance that action though.
Randy

It's inherent in the design. I used to make a living fixing trucks the dealership couldn't figure out.

Often once the customer is sensitized you have to have a "total kill" (and then some) for them to be happy.

K