The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Replacing the flexplate on a 350 1972 what else should I do while I'm there (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774443)

NJKelly 11-02-2018 09:06 PM

Replacing the flexplate on a 350 1972 what else should I do while I'm there

Title says it all I figure if I have it open maybe it would be good idea to replace the rear main seal. Engine is leaking oil I'm not sure from where I thought about just wiping the whole thing down so I can identify where it's leaking from. it's an inexpensive part and with the transmission out should be able to see get it done easily, even if it's not leaking just to have it be one less thing to worry about. I'll probably regret saying that last part LOL

82C10step 11-03-2018 08:29 AM

Re: Replacing the flexplate on a 350 1972 what else should I do while I'm there

Well you would have to take the oil pan, oil pump, and rear main cap off to change the seal. Are you up for that too?

NJKelly 11-06-2018 11:24 AM

I'm up for whatever has to get done. I've been reading up on how to diagnose that the rear main seal is the problem and if it's not leaking there I'll leave it alone but there is no pointing putting a flexplate back on until I dealt with that.

rpmerf 11-06-2018 12:02 PM

I replaced the flexplate on my truck back in May. Not sure what your plan is, but I was able to replace the trans bolts with 6"-8" bolts, and move the trans back just far enough to get a socket between the torque converter and flex plate. It makes it a little bit easier as you don't need to remove the trans from the truck.

NJKelly 11-06-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmerf (Post 8378895)
I replaced the flexplate on my truck back in May. Not sure what your plan is, but I was able to replace the trans bolts with 6"-8" bolts, and move the trans back just far enough to get a socket between the torque converter and flex plate. It makes it a little bit easier as you don't need to remove the trans from the truck.

I read up on that very thing posted by someone else and actually shared it with the board here. It's different for a K5 versus a pickup truck. I'm going to try to do that but I picked up a transmission jack pretty cheap just in case. I hope to just keep transmission in the general vicinity if not with the bolts with a Jack and do as you say. Having said that I might need more room to get at the rear main seal in which case transmission comes completely out.

truckster 11-06-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmerf (Post 8378895)

2WD vs 4WD is a lot different, because the transfer case is in the way. And they're not very light.