The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any recommendations on wheel spacer? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563679)

BB72CHEVKT 01-30-2013 03:06 PM

Any recommendations on wheel spacer?

3 Attachment(s)
I know a lot of people don't like them but the backspacing is a little off on the rear Coys I bought used for my Suburban. I am thinking 1'.

GCncsuHD 01-30-2013 03:17 PM

Re: Any recommendations on wheel spacer?

I have been very happy with the ones I purchased from user: tireshopsupplies on ebay, I have had 3 sets now from him with great results. I have been less than thrilled with the quality of the spacers from Motorsport Tech, and very disappointed with the attitude of customer service from Ezaccessory. Fred Goeske at Wheeladapter.com is supposed to be the best you can get, but his price reflects it, so I haven't purchased from him yet.

jocko 01-30-2013 03:19 PM

i think it looks pretty darn good as it is. I am personally not a fan of wheel spacers from a safety perspective, but I know many use them with no problems at all. Others can chime in, this is usually a one side of the fence or the other type of discussion. Beautiful burb btw.

BB72CHEVKT 01-30-2013 03:24 PM

It is rubbing on the rear inside at certain angles pulling in and out of driveways etc.and that is the reason for the spacer.

69GWC 01-30-2013 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought mine from USWHEELADAPTER and am real happy with them, very good quality and they were helpfull on the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdailey 01-30-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GWC (Post 5856227)
I bought mine from USWHEELADAPTER and am real happy with them, very good quality and they were helpfull on the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are these on your K10? I've thought of running a set on the rear myself, but have yet to see a set on a 4x4. Nice to hear good feedback.

BB72CHEVKT 01-30-2013 03:48 PM

What does hubcentric mean?

69GWC 01-30-2013 03:51 PM

Yes thats the rear of my K10. 1" spacers front and rear. I see no problem with them myself I have ran them for a number of years with zero problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdailey 01-30-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5856264)

Definition: A wheel that is centered or located on the hub by a machined center hole-as opposed to "lug centered" wheels that are located by the position of the lug nuts alone.

BB72CHEVKT 01-30-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5856289)
Definition: A wheel that is centered or located on the hub by a machined center hole-as opposed to "lug centered" wheels that are located by the position of the lug nuts alone.

Thanks. I guess I need lug centric then.

GCncsuHD 01-30-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5856261)
Are these on your K10? I've thought of running a set on the rear myself, but have yet to see a set on a 4x4. Nice to hear good feedback.

I run them front and rear on my K30 4x4 dually, and I ran them on the rear of my K2500HD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 5856264)

Hubcentric is exactly as sdailey described, the wheel or spacer is a slip fit to the size of the hub outer diameter. This uses that fitment to center the wheel rather than the conical lug seat of the wheel and lug nut to center the wheel. Lug centric uses the lug seat and conical lug nut to center the wheel. Once the wheel has been centered and torqued down, it doesn't matter, neither the hub diameter nor the lug stud support any weight, but instead the clamping force between the hub face and wheel flange from the lug nut.

For your wheels, lug centric is fine, you could measure to get the correct hub centric, but it is not necessary.

In cases like the spacers on my F250, that uses wheels with flat face washer lug nuts, no conical seat, a hub centric spacer is a necessity, as that is the only thing to center the wheel when mounting.

~Whitey~ 01-30-2013 04:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with using spacers, just make sure you purchase ones made from 6061 aluminum. Do not use ones that stack and shorten your studs. I ran 6061 aluminum wheels spacers on my Jeep for years, lots of torque and way more abuse than a street truck will ever get, never had a problem.

Just google search for 6061 wheel spacers and you'll find what you need.

Malamute 01-30-2013 05:24 PM

Spidertrax makes some of the best I've seen. They makes them mostly for Toyotas and Suzuki Samarai's for the off-road world so they take a beating. I'm not sure what applications they have them for.

www.spidertrax.com

Roostboy102 01-30-2013 09:02 PM

I have 1" billet spacers on my 2wd S10. I've loaded it FULL of split oak firewood on many occasions. Never had a problem. I probably wouldn't use them in heavy towing applications, other than that, they're a GO for me!

GCncsuHD 01-31-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roostboy102 (Post 5856898)
I have 1" billet spacers on my 2wd S10. I've loaded it FULL of split oak firewood on many occasions. Never had a problem. I probably wouldn't use them in heavy towing applications, other than that, they're a GO for me!

Why not? Chevy, Ford, and Dodge all do for their 1 ton dually trucks in the OEM. All three use bolt on ~3" spacers on the front hubs to correct the track width up front for dually wheels, I think the only exception is Ford's 4x4 axles still use a DRW specific hub, but the rest use bolt on spacers. On the rear, what more is the inner dually wheel (negating the tire) than a 1/4"-3/8" slip on spacer?

I have hauled over 10k multiple times behind both my 2001 2500HD with 2" spacers on the rear, and on my 78 K30 with 1.5" up front and 2.5" spacers in the rear.

69GWC 01-31-2013 10:00 AM

Thats so true I remember my 95 had those spacers on the front wheels and there is thousands of those trucks out there and nobody gives them a second thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

w00dst0ck 06-13-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69GWC (Post 5856227)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old thread, I know, but how did you get a lug nut to fit inside a 1" wheel spacer? I haven't found a lug nut short enough that will fit inside the spacer.

57Suburb 06-14-2018 02:09 PM

I just ordered a pair from USWheeladapter and the minimum thickness for an adapter is 1.25" because of lug nut depth. You can go thinner with spacers, but then you run into lugs not being long enough to get a good seat with nuts. Then it's pulling axles and putting longer lugs in, but that's a lot of work. :waah: