The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hmm won't start. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=777310)

Jeff's72C10* 12-16-2018 05:11 PM

Hmm won't start.

So, went to go get some hay for the critters this morning and got nothing when I turned the key (72 C10). Battery has 12.45 volts and when the key is turned, no dimming of the lights, no solenoid clicks, nothing. Checked the fuse for the ignition and it's good. Thinking possibly the ignition switch which of course no one in this little town has. Am I missing something else that may be the issue? Thx for any guidance.

Jeff

68gmsee 12-16-2018 05:30 PM

Re: Hmm won't start.

I bought a start switch from the local auto parts years ago for a similar problem. I hook up the battery to S connector on the starter and actually found the battery cable was so badly corroded internally at the post that it was not making contact to the starter.

You could try shorting the two together with a screwdriver to check to see if the starter will turn or if it has voltage going to it. Some don't care for that practice but I've used it many times to diagnose similar issues with my vehicles.

AussieinNC 12-16-2018 05:32 PM

Is this an auto trans? If yes, check the gear lever is in Park...maybe a bad neutral start switch....

Do the gauges react when you turn the ign switch on?

Can you jump the solenoid terminal to the battery lead on the starter? Should crank...if t doesn't, most likely a bad solenoid...

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

Jeff's72C10* 12-16-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 8406611)
Is this an auto trans? If yes, check the gear lever is in Park...maybe a bad neutral start switch....

Do the gauges react when you turn the ign switch on?

Can you jump the solenoid terminal to the battery lead on the starter? Should crank...if t doesn't, most likely a bad solenoid...

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

The neutral safety switch is new about 2 months ago. The gauge lights will come on, as does the brake light when the switch is turned on. However there is no dimming of the lights when the switch is turned to start.

rsavage 12-16-2018 06:09 PM

First thing that I do if the battery is up and I get nothing is clean terminals, clean grounds, and check starter connections. The neutral safety switch might have come out of adjustment since you recently replaced it. Good luck hope you solve it quickly.

AussieinNC 12-16-2018 06:18 PM

Use a small jump lead to jump between Sol terminal and battery positive lead on starter solenoid...

If it cranks, it is most likely Neutral start switch...you can bypass it with a jumper plug lead if its failed...the aftermarket ones sometimes dont last

If it doesnt crank...check battery voltage at end of battery lead on starter...

Must be 12V or more...

If it is 12 V and still no crank...its a bad solenoid...

Jeff's72C10* 12-16-2018 06:22 PM

Thanks all, I'll do some more checks tomorrow after I get off work

mr.precision 12-17-2018 04:04 AM

Had a similar issue with my '67 a few months back.
No neutral safety switch on that one. Ignition switch and wiring all good. Turned out to be the starter. Replaced and haven't had a problem since.
Would sometimes start, then nothing.... but all gauges working and full battery charge.

Mike C 12-17-2018 09:31 AM

The first thing I do with an auto trans truck that won’d Do anything when I turn the key and I know the battery has juice is to hold the steering column collar with my left hand and wiggle it while turning the key to start.

After that it’s time to bust out the meter and check for proper voltage everywhere. If I am working on a truck that has an original style starter I’ll usually just order a late model gear reduction starter off Amazon because that’s a mod I will want at some point regardless.

demian5 12-17-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 8406642)
Use a small jump lead to jump between Sol terminal and battery positive lead on starter solenoid...

Try hot wiring it with the switch disconnected.

Jeff's72C10* 12-24-2018 06:49 PM

I would like to thank everyone who responded with all the suggestions as to what it may have been. Of course it was the starter as many stated. However I also replaced the the ignition switch as it and everything attached to it was loose and wouldn't tighten up in the dash. The switch itself seemed like it was also leaking a bunch of sticky whatever.

All is good now with my truck. Thanks again to all and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. :truck:

Sparky dave 12-28-2018 05:24 AM

Check voltage at solenoid when turning key. If you have voltage check ground straps to engine. ( can check for good resistance by putting meter on resistance setting and going neutral post on battery to starter motor casing)

Sparky dave 12-28-2018 05:25 AM

Sorry just seen you sorted top job