The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dash Speakers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=389828)

Jeepwm69 03-02-2010 05:03 PM

Dash Speakers

What can ya'll using for dash speakers? I saw a post somewhere where a 4 inch will fit in the corners where a 3 1/2 in is from the factory but can't seem to locate it now. Are any of you running a 4x10 in the center or did you fab it up to put something else in there? Not looking for awesome sound, but the 28 year old factory speakers are sounding a little fried so figured I'd replace them when I take the dash pad off to install a cover.

ECU PIRATE 03-02-2010 05:59 PM

Re: Dash Speakers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 3835716)
What can ya'll using for dash speakers? I saw a post somewhere where a 4 inch will fit in the corners where a 3 1/2 in is from the factory but can't seem to locate it now. Are any of you running a 4x10 in the center or did you fab it up to put something else in there? Not looking for awesome sound, but the 28 year old factory speakers are sounding a little fried so figured I'd replace them when I take the dash pad off to install a cover.

4" will fit but you may have to trash the factory speaker brackets and cut up your dash. Most of the aftermarket 3.5" speakers will have a tweeter that protruds about 1/2 to 3/4" above the speaker. This may make your dash bulge, I have (2) sets that I am trying to figure out for this use: Infinity REF3012 and Polk DB351's. I have been working on a mount to under mount these in the factory 4x10 opening in the center. This should work with all of the dashes from 73-87. I got the idea from a post on here last year. One thing to note is the actual width of this opening ( 9.75" long by 3.75" deep). I am figuring on making a 3/4" plate out of plywood that may be roughly 12" wide x 4.5" deep. Hope this helps but, PM me if you have questions. I can shoot you some pics of what I am talking about

Mike

thrtsxchambers 03-02-2010 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my setup, I have 4" mb quartz all the way across. When I ordered the speakers they came with an mount for 2-4" to fit in the middle. The 4" does fit in the side holes but does not fit flush like stock but you still have room under the dash pad where they do not hit. you could make them fit flush but will have to cut the dash, I opted not to. This is not the best picture but you can see where mine are, I cut holes and installed the covers b/c the factory dash is covered with leather. I don't have a pic of the speakers with the cover off but it will be coming off in a few days and can get one then if you would like.

Dapper Dan 03-02-2010 10:58 PM

This is what i did. they fit fine, however like ecu pirate said my dash does slightly bulge on the passenger side. That may be partly because it is a reproduction

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=344303

USSkoval 03-02-2010 11:03 PM

For my '88 I just used 3.5's in the factory brackets. It's OK, but I would like to ditch them in favor of something larger in the kick panels. For my '77, I mounted dual 4's in the center opening. The frames were large enough that I could bolt the two together and then mount them to the dash. I like that setup.

Jeepwm69 03-02-2010 11:43 PM

I'm going to get a dash overlay, and the factory speaker grill areas in the dash pad are absolutely trashed (cracked, split, disintegrating). I'll probably put 4" in there and wallow out the dash pad to get it to sit down like it should. Anyone see a problem doing that?

staggerd86c-10 03-03-2010 12:43 AM

i did 4" kickers all the way across i had to make a bracket out of some abs for the middle but the sides fit fine. I did have the glass out when i did it though. i think it will be really difficult to do it with a windshield in the way

54Caddy 03-03-2010 01:26 AM

i have a kenwood 4x10 under my dash thing sounds good man. If you want to go with a stock look. Its a 3 way 400 watt i believe if i remember right.

thrtsxchambers 03-03-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerd86c-10 (Post 3836799)
i think it will be really difficult to do it with a windshield in the way

It is!

jklonowski 03-03-2010 11:46 AM

what i did to mine is flip the bracket upside and instead of puting them on top of the dash like factory i put them under the dash. it's hard to explain but if you can picture it in your head its not hard to do. it only took about 45 min to do. what it will do it will give you about 1/2 to 3/4 inches more clearance.
also i used the factory 3 1/2" speaker.

kelsfine69 03-03-2010 03:51 PM

If anyone has any pics of 4" vs 3.5" front corner speakers installed that would be great. Im just about to buy front ones cause mine are toast. I would like to go 4" but not if I Have to mod alot or it makes the dash sit higher?

Jeepwm69 03-03-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsfine69 (Post 3837724)
If anyone has any pics of 4" vs 3.5" front corner speakers installed that would be great. Im just about to buy front ones cause mine are toast. I would like to go 4" but not if I Have to mod alot or it makes the dash sit higher?

yeah, I'm in the same boat. I would prefer to put a 4" in there, but I want it to look ok without having to do a bunch of modding on the dash.

kelsfine69 03-04-2010 10:28 PM

I went to the local Pick-n-Pull after work today and scores a locking dipstick, heater control, sportbumper licence plate lamp, and 2 front speakers with brackets($22 Bucks). It was nice the dash was ripped off. Im going to see how the 3.5" compare to the 4" speakers for mounting. Under the bracket I noticed there is lots of room so opening the holes should not be an issue...

Jeepwm69 03-05-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsfine69 (Post 3840449)
I went to the local Pick-n-Pull after work today and scores a locking dipstick, heater control, sportbumper licence plate lamp, and 2 front speakers with brackets($22 Bucks). It was nice the dash was ripped off. Im going to see how the 3.5" compare to the 4" speakers for mounting. Under the bracket I noticed there is lots of room so opening the holes should not be an issue...

Pics would be nice......please?

ECU PIRATE 03-05-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 3837830)
yeah, I'm in the same boat. I would prefer to put a 4" in there, but I want it to look ok without having to do a bunch of modding on the dash.

Try DapperDan. He mounted 4" speakers in the factory location. It looked pretty clean. I would love to see some pics with those factory mounts flipped upside down and installed under the dash. This may solve my whole problem so I can use my Polk db351's that are just waiting..........................

SkinnyG 06-20-2014 07:32 PM

A bump only because I've just gone down this road, and wanted to show what I came up with for others who are searching for the same thing:

http://gwellwood.com/wordpress/wp-co...13-480x360.jpg

Ditched the original 4x10 single speaker for a pair of old JBL 5-1/4" two-ways I shelved from a car I cut up eight years ago. Adapter made from a dollar store cutting board.

tucsonjwt 06-20-2014 07:41 PM

I think you can also add spacers (nuts?) to the mounting areas to bring the speakers down a little and clear the dash pad.

I have 3.5" speakers in the kick panels - but just in a circular hole cut in the metal kick panel. The magnets are a close fit but they work fine. I made triangular wood speaker boxes for the rear speakers in the cab corners. Overall, my setup is OK, but I think if you can do the two speakers in the center that would be a nice stock touch. Being able to control the fade from front to rear speakers is nice, as well as left to right balance, especially on a long drive.

motornut 06-20-2014 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i used 2 newer stock 4X6,seems great compared to 1 speaker mono lol
i kept the 4X10s for "ashtray replacement" in the Jimmy

motornut 06-20-2014 08:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
used my 88 burb covers and they appear stock

y5mgisi 06-20-2014 10:58 PM

I did 4" in the outers and 3.5's in the inner. As stated, the 4" speakers i got were a pain to fit. I had to ditch the bracket on the driver side and cut the dash to get the speaker to drop in. The centers clear the dash pad just fine how they are in the picture. THe passenger side 4" hits the A/C duct but its manageable.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...pszllqnphs.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...psdolpzove.jpg

TexasJeff 06-22-2014 03:23 PM

I bought this one from LMC, and sounds great, also bought some 4x10 3 ways for behind the seat from ebay for $30 with shipping.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=129

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-BOSS-C...item51b60f0d5a

ShortHaul 03-08-2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 6729375)
A bump only because I've just gone down this road, and wanted to show what I came up with for others who are searching for the same thing:

http://gwellwood.com/wordpress/wp-co...13-480x360.jpg

Ditched the original 4x10 single speaker for a pair of old JBL 5-1/4" two-ways I shelved from a car I cut up eight years ago. Adapter made from a dollar store cutting board.

brilliant. I'll be 100% adopting this glorious idea. thank you.

Nodnarb76 04-12-2019 11:40 AM

How is everyone wiring 6 speakers (4 in the dash and two in the rear) with a standard 4 speaker wiring setup?

rideair 04-12-2019 02:58 PM

In my Suburban, the factory head was replaced with a unit that had four standard speaker outputs (which I ran two to the 3 1/2 in the dash, then two to feed two powered subwoofers under the bench seat). The new head also had four RCA out puts that was used on a 4 channel amp that was used to power 6.5 in the kick-panels and the 4x10's in the rear.

Jeepwm69 04-15-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb76 (Post 8505342)
How is everyone wiring 6 speakers (4 in the dash and two in the rear) with a standard 4 speaker wiring setup?

Initially I tried tying the 4 dash speakers together in the front, and ran the rear channels to the 6x9's behind the seat. Head unit didn't have the power to run them that way, got all kinds of distortion on the fronts, so I unhooked the 3.5's in the middle.

I figure eventually I'll add an amp, run them something like rideair said he's done.