The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Extreme or Mild Dropmember (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=600740)

wwillmon 10-17-2013 01:42 AM

Extreme or Mild Dropmember

Well right now i have my truck tore down to nothing but the frame and the cab, motor has been pulled and the cab will go shortly. So i figured now is the time to start messing with suspension. Instead of bother porterbuilt with email, i figured id post here and let people get to me when they can.

I know for sure im going to go with bags and want to go with porterbuilt and accuair. I want it right the first time and dont want to mess with it again. I got the quote from porterbuilt for the front and rear with the mild dropmember along with the accuair kit. Price wasnt bad at all, but i think im going to order either the front or rear first and then order the bags, that way im not spending all my money at once.

My question is should i just go with the extreme instead? How much of a difference in work is it? I know it lays frame and the mild stays about 3" off the ground? Also should i just go ahead and do all the possible upgrades for the front end (tubular a- arms etc.) Im wanting the best possible ride, but if i dont neccesarrily need something because it wont make a noticeable difference then saving money is good too.

BigDaddyV 10-17-2013 08:47 AM

Re: Extreme or Mild Dropmember

From what I understand the mild version drops u 1' touring 2" and extreme 3". If your gonna do the PB drop member I would go ahead and upgrade the upper and lower control arms and do a Big brake kit too or go with later spindles for the disc brakes. I truely understand the wanting to save money. I'm all about it! Also I don't believe there is much difference in difficulty of installing the mild vs. the extreme if any. I'm doing the same as you in that I have my truck tore all the way to the frame, but I am building a new frame my self and will be adding the PB extreme DM as soon as I can save enough to get it ordered.
I hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in.
Good luck with your build bud. :)

SCOTI 10-17-2013 08:58 AM

If you want it to lay out, go w/the extreme DM. That will require bed floor mods & inner wheel wells. If laying out is not a 'must do' & you just want it as low as possible w/more clearance & better geometry, go w/the touring set-up.

lolife99 10-17-2013 09:17 AM

I would also do the extreme Dropmember.
I recently saw a mild Dropmember installed and the steering linkage to the steering column is way more complex.
The Extreme version is fairly simple and gets you the most bang for your buck$.

wwillmon 10-17-2013 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'm gonna go with the extreme, from what porterbuilt told me the touring version is more for a coil over setup, so if I'm wanting bags it's either the mildnor extreme.

Just don't want to go with the mild and then wish I would have went lower. As for the upgrades I'm guessing their all recommended? The tubular control arms are expensive but I'm guessing their definitely worth it? I'm new to the bagging side of things so I'm just reading and trying to understand things, so bare with me. Haha

BigDaddyV 10-17-2013 12:07 PM

Just take your time and do your research, and you will do fine. I'm actually looking at Michigan Metal works uppers and lowers. Not much dif in price but a little dif look. Lots of options out there, Not to put PB down in anyway. They are masters at what they do and make great products. All I'm saying is get what suits you the best and makes your truck you. :) I'm sure you will have a sweet ride when your done.

SCOTI 10-17-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyV (Post 6320104)
Just take your time and do your research, and you will do fine. I'm actually looking at Michigan Metal works uppers and lowers. Not much dif in price but a little dif look. Lots of options out there, Not to put PB down in anyway. They are masters at what they do and make great products. All I'm saying is get what suits you the best and makes your truck you. :) I'm sure you will have a sweet ride when your done.

PB's arms are set-up for PB's crossmembers too. Be sure if you choose MMW's that you know what you want for shock mounts and/or sway bar configuration as those are options.

wwillmon 10-17-2013 01:57 PM

Thanks for the replies, the more I think about it the more the extreme one catches my attention. Like I said if hate to do all the work and not be satisfied. I'm taking it porter built and accuser are pretty much the best in the business with regards to the c10? Not taking anything away from the other companies, but I haven't read anything bad about either one. If ordering from porterbuilt, the supply everything I'm going to need correct, as long as I order the accuser air management system from them. (mounts, bags, etc.)

BigDaddyV 10-17-2013 02:00 PM

Just Call Nate, he can answer any question you have and he can get you anything and everything to complete your whole set up. And I believe you mean "Accuair"

wwillmon 10-17-2013 04:39 PM

Yeah definitely mean accuair, on my phone and stupid autocorrect haha. But yeah I sent an email just don't want to bother them to much since I'm not sure how soon I'll be ordering, if I was ready to order if definitely be calling but I'm still saving funds so figured I would post here and have people answer when they get the time.

Pro Performance 10-17-2013 06:09 PM

I usually recommend the extreme as well, for the same reasons mentioned..... the simpler steering linkage and also that everyone always gets that itch to go lower. Another difference in the touring and the extreme, is the extreme will have a narrower track width of 1.5" per side vs. 0.25" per side on the touring.

- Travis

Bennett68C10 10-17-2013 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with the touring front and extreme rear and I am very happy with my decision. It still will lay frame front and rear depending on your front tire height and what drop spindle you use. I'm running a 28" front tire with 2.5" drop spindles. Right now the front of my frame by the transmission is sitting 1/2" off the ground due to my deep tranny pan laying on the ground. Going to have to change that back to a stock pan. The reason why I went with the touring front is because I'm running a big block/th400 drivetrain and didn't want any clearance issues. Nate told me the extreme would work but I would have more clearance with the touring. I haven't gotten to the steering shaft but I'm confident with the help of some pics and instruction that Nate sent me I can conquer it. A pic of how mine sits.

rwade 10-17-2013 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with the mild. In front of rear tire is 5.5" off ground, and that's with a 32" tall rear tire. It's all about how low you want it.

rwade 10-17-2013 09:31 PM

Mild front and rear. 30" tire on front. About 4.5" off ground aired out

wwillmon 10-18-2013 01:26 AM

Damn that frame is sweet, so your using bags with the touring setup? For some reason I thought he said it was more for coil overs, ill have to get him to clarify that for me.

And man that truck looks sweet, that makes it a tough decision. Decisions, decisions.

Bennett68C10 10-18-2013 08:27 AM

Yes I'm using bags and Nate never told me it should only be used for coilovers. If he did I would have just went with the extreme. I felt the touring was just a better option for me personally. Just a note, I'm also running his 1" narrowed arms to narrow my front track width. So with my touring and the 1" narrowed arms my track width is narrowed 1.25" per side, the same as the extreme with regular arms.

N2TRUX 10-21-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwade (Post 6320939)
I went with the mild. In front of rear tire is 5.5" off ground, and that's with a 32" tall rear tire. It's all about how low you want it.

Thats it? Your going to sneak in and throw just one pic up and let it go at that? Come one buddy, we need a LOT more pics and details. :metal:

rwade 10-21-2013 11:48 AM

I had done a thread called "my 72 on 405/25/24" on the 67-72 message board a few months back. I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone I can. Porterbuilt mild drop member and weld in mild rear drop member. Factory trailing arms were lengthen by 1" and boxed to center in the wheel opening.

Thanks, Wade

lolife99 10-21-2013 12:03 PM

Here's a link to your thread,...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592681

N2TRUX 10-21-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwade (Post 6325831)
I had done a thread called "my 72 on 405/25/24" on the 67-72 message board a few months back. I'd be happy to answer any questions for anyone I can. Porterbuilt mild drop member and weld in mild rear drop member. Factory trailing arms were lengthen by 1" and boxed to center in the wheel opening.

Thanks, Wade

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6325848)

Thanks guys. After I posted I drilled down through Wades old posts and found the build thread. As mush as I love the laid out look, I actually appreciate these trucks with some rake on them. The mild kit is starting to become my favorite.

rwade 10-21-2013 02:45 PM

Thank you. I like a little rake myself. It's still a work in progress, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Wade

wwillmon 10-21-2013 04:25 PM

To many choices! I still can't decide! I did decide on ordering in steps instead of dropping one lump sum. Would it be best to do the front or rear first? Or does it matter? And can I add the a-arms later on?

PBFAB.COM 10-21-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwillmon (Post 6326186)
To many choices! I still can't decide! I did decide on ordering in steps instead of dropping one lump sum. Would it be best to do the front or rear first? Or does it matter? And can I add the a-arms later on?

Find a pic of a truck that has the stance you want to achieve and post it up. I will let you know what kit will best fit your desired end result. There are a lot of options, but we can help you get it nailed down.

Nate

wwillmon 10-21-2013 05:22 PM

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...HITECHEVY3.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1382059774

I think I like this one (I believe its on your website?) and the one posted above the best...

The biggest thing I want is the ability to still run a large tire in the rear. I see a lot of bagged trucks not having much tread, but I still want to have a larger tire in the rear for racing, etc. and I just like that stance.

I believe somewhere you said, that where the red and white truck sits, would be the equivalent of the normal riding height for the extreme dropmember correct?

PBFAB.COM 10-21-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwillmon (Post 6326257)
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...HITECHEVY3.jpg
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1382059774

I think I like this one (I believe its on your website?) and the one posted above the best...

The biggest thing I want is the ability to still run a large tire in the rear. I see a lot of bagged trucks not having much tread, but I still want to have a larger tire in the rear for racing, etc. and I just like that stance.

I believe somewhere you said, that where the red and white truck sits, would be the equivalent of the normal riding height for the extreme dropmember correct?

The size of the rear tire will not be limited by the airbag suspension. We have a bunch of guys running some pretty impressive tread width. The large the tire, the more clearance becomes limited... but you could run up to a 14" wide tire with the correct length rear diff.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet... but I am also working on an airbag variation that will set the frame just under 1" off the ground as well. For those guys that love the lowered ride height but don't want it to be able to lay the frame all the way on the ground as well.

I know... I threw another option at you. Probably shouldn't have done that. ;)

You can't go wrong with any of the versions... our most popular is the Extreme... second most popular is the Mild.

Nate