The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=641532)

IronCanine 03-29-2016 12:56 PM

Re: Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom

tren motriz al rojo vivo :devil: I like it.

tristan 07-30-2016 12:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I am back among the living and work has resumed on the Jimmy. Things are moving forward with re-assembly. It isn't cheaper than teardown, rust repair or bodywork but it is much more satisfying to start to see things back where they belong.

The tub is now back on the frame and the drivetrain is re-assembled.

Chulisohombre 07-30-2016 12:51 PM

Very cool

tristan 07-30-2016 12:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some of the board members who specialize in specific parts deserve a shout-out now that their work is emerging from storage and going back into the Jimmy:

Benny Sanchez (Factory Auto Air) - makeover on the HVAC cores and housings
Frank Ham - stainless steel power steering lines
Les Boatright - rebuild and repaint on factory tilt steering column
Tom @ Classic Gauge and Cluster - made the instrument panel new again

I am selling off some of my other non-truck collectible stuff tomorrow and hope to get the truck painted within the next 6 weeks or so.

Continuing thanks to [I]Iron Canine[I] for the guidance on finishes for engine compartment components.

Tom Vogel 07-31-2016 09:02 AM

Looking very nice!

IronCanine 08-12-2016 11:00 PM

I really like this truck. You are doing a great job. As always looking forward to more.

lks dcvn 08-13-2016 08:41 AM

Nice truck and great build!

tristan 10-08-2016 12:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I went over for a visitation this morning as work is progressing and I had some parts to drop off. We are getting very close to a major milestone, engine restart. The wiring is now about 90% complete, all engine components are in place save for the radiator, and all fuel and brake lines are good to go. I had the gas tank pressure tested and it is back in save for the filler neck.

tristan 10-08-2016 12:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My 3 bibles have been a godsend during re-assembly. Now that the wiring is close to completion the next steps are to install all of the remaining HVAC equipment, ducting and controls and then start hanging the doors, tailgate and fenders to check for correct gappage. We are heading for paint although not as quickly as I thought.

tristan 10-08-2016 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also hauled quite a few parts over for Project Checkbook 2, which will not start until the Jimmy is back on the road. I have been squirreling parts away for it as they come up, including a set of bucket seats with console, a new driver side door, a Cheyenne tailgate, replacement grille, rebuilt tilt column, a set of 8 X 15 steelies, etc. etc. Hopefully I will thank myself later for doing this.

tristan 10-19-2016 05:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Continuing progress on the center of the dash. I now have my gen-u-wine Delco AM radio and hard-to-find original hi-fi speaker in. A board member came up with a very rare deluxe throttle knob assembly for me which now completes the matching set of control knobs on the instrument panel. I am interpreting the key in the ignition as a hopeful sign that engine restart is imminent.

IronCanine 10-19-2016 09:03 AM

Beautiful...also pumped for PCB2!

bambbrose 10-19-2016 09:42 AM

Amazing attention to detail. Going to be a show stopper when done.

tristan 10-21-2016 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what came back from the plater yesterday! Been gone so long I had nearly forgotten it was still out there for a makeover. It was a true (and expensive) ordeal finding someone who could/would work on an aluminum piece this big.

Although the truck is going to be pretty much bone stock save for Hickey add-ons and luxury items such as stainless fuel and brake lines, I abhor the raccoon look of 1971-72 GMC grill surrounds. I told the plating shop to clean up and plate the entire surround. If some future owner is an originality freak then some blue tape and a can of matte black Rust-O-Leum will quickly ease their pain.

hemi43 10-21-2016 10:17 AM

Wow !! I can only imagine what that cost to plate.Is it re anodized or is that actually chrome? You will have to handle that grille like egg shells if it's chrome. Let us know how it fits after all that work has been done to it. Looks great !!

Chulisohombre 10-21-2016 01:12 PM

That's pretty. It's a great addition to the work
Already done.

tristan 12-10-2016 10:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It's alive! Went over this AM and heard it run for the first time in 1 1/2 years. The doors have been hung and are being gapped and the HVAC installation is now complete. The guys in the shop ran it around the yard this week to test steering and brakes and all went well. The radiator was sent out for pressure testing and reinstalled along with the new R-134 compliant AC condenser.

tristan 12-10-2016 11:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some under-dash and glove compartment shots. While these are not areas that are highly visible, there is a ton of detail stuff shoved up in there.

tristan 12-10-2016 11:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some of the dash pad, defrosters and cowl area.

Tekamah72GMC 12-10-2016 06:14 PM

Cool Build. Love the pictures of the engine. Didn't have any accessories on mine when I bought it gonna have to change some stuff around in the engine bay.

Tom Vogel 12-11-2016 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]. It was a true (and expensive) ordeal finding someone who could/would work on an aluminum piece this big.

Unless your truck is different than mine, that grill is stamped mild steel.

tristan 12-11-2016 10:55 AM

Yup, I was misinformed. It is steel.

tristan 12-23-2016 02:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Now that painting is imminent (!) I am moving on the interior of the Jimmy. It was a big day today - I stopped by the restoration shop and picked up the front and rear seats, door panels, console and visors. They are now all at the upholstery shop where teardown will soon begin. My original rear side panels are a mess and I am going to replace them.

I got prices on replacement seat covers, door and rear side panels and carpeting from the board vendors as well as a couple of big catalog vendors. Prices are all over the place so I am still mulling over where to order.

My one do-it-yourself piece of the interior is making over my leveling mats. I had one or two reusable ones in the Jimmy and got 3 others from Harry Huda. All of them were filthy and cracked to varying degrees. I scrubbed them down, glued the cracks up with airplane glue and contact cement, and then gave them two coats of hand-rubbed Armorall. No one will ever see them again once the carpet is in place but I tend to fixate on even hidden parts. Here are a couple of before and after shots.

72 tigger 01-20-2017 09:18 PM

Your Jimmy is/going to be sweet! It's a lot of work & expense but, you'll be glad you did it right in the long run. Hopefully you can cruise in it this summer- take care

GR8-68 01-21-2017 08:47 AM

Looking good Tristan, look forward to seeing more updates :chevy: