The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   77 Cheyenne meets Ramjet 350 by N2TRUX (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=459027)

N2TRUX 08-06-2006 12:48 PM

Re: 77 Cheyenne meets Ramjet 350 by N2TRUX

With the photo shoot behind me, it was time to go to the local cruise night. This show is hosted by a local car club and it is very organized. If you have a chance check out the Niftee 50ees site and look at the quality of cars that come out.

On my way there the motor really seemed like it was coming to life. The throttle response was much quicker and the gear changes seemed a lot former than before. Still rolling on a high from the photo shoot and a beautiful sunset I thought maybe I was making this up in my head.

The truck was very well recieved at the cruise night. Since I rolled in a little late, the crowd was already there and I got their full attention when I dumped the bags to parking lot height.

I managed to get a premium spot on the end of a row, and spent the rest of the evening answering questions about the truck and motor. Everyone seemed to like the combination Stoked Out had put together for me.

On my way home I decided it was time to see how this baby would run. I stopped at a red light and revved it up a little. I rolled on the gas when leaving and the tires broke loose. Still rolling at part throttle and the tires chirped when I hit second. WOW! This was more like it.

I still haven't done any full throttle blasts, but I have rolled in to it a few times. I can feel a huge difference in the power now. It jumps off the line, and continues to pull hard through all the gears. I can't wait till I get a few more miles on it so I can see what it will do at full throttle.

N2TRUX 08-06-2006 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This project has been just like any other. It took a lot more time and money than initially planned for. There were lessons in frustration along the way that included buying exhaust manifolds twice because the first set from Ebay were junk. In the end, one night on the town made it all worth while.

I hope this article has been like one of our projects. It required more time and effort than I had planned for. In the end I hope the wait was worth the effort....:)

72CSTC5 08-06-2006 03:36 PM

Looks great. Glad to see you have it finished so you can go and enjoy it now, Nice job Ken.

LUV2XCLR8 08-06-2006 03:40 PM

:jdp: WOWSERS :jdp:

BillGent 08-06-2006 04:08 PM

That was informative AND entertaining! Thanks Man, I had a good time reading it and seeing the progression.

n2billet 08-06-2006 10:20 PM

I don't like it ;) but the construction pictures were awesome!

phantom dually 08-06-2006 10:35 PM

The truck turned out great Ken. So whats next?? Sell it?? You know its NEVER finished until you sell it!!

GlennBrittain 08-06-2006 10:50 PM

Very good job on the truck and documentation. I am happy to read your 700R4/3.08 rear combo works well. I am not even close to being ready for a motor for my project. However the fuel situation has put me back to the planning stage. The Ram Jet is my first choice for a gas engine, and the 3.08 should provide some decent milage. I have a friend trying to give me a 88 diesel and for the milage, but I would rather stick with gas. If you do get any milage figures please post them.

AceX 08-19-2006 04:13 PM

Wow... I think I just found the new build model for my truck...

Malo83 08-19-2006 05:28 PM

Congrats Ken, that's an awesome Ride :metal: ,gave me some inspiration to get back on my 83 :)
John

boxrodz 08-20-2006 11:07 AM

I echo what the others said. Thanks for finishing up the write-up. Props to you and the guys in the shop. Now, I wonder how it sounds. BTW, I hope you get the rest of the little bugs worked out. :cool:

SCOTI 08-20-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxrodz (Post 1785875)
I echo what the others said. Thanks for finishing up the write-up. Props to you and the guys in the shop. Now, I wonder how it sounds. BTW, I hope you get the rest of the little bugs worked out. :cool:

It sounds sweet. Kind of mellow @ idle & 'growls' when your foot is in it (well, until that nasty miss @ 7Krpm...... I'm not sure what that's about ;) ).

bigblock73 08-20-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 1785942)
It sounds sweet. Kind of mellow @ idle & 'growls' when your foot is in it (well, until that nasty miss @ 7Krpm...... I'm not sure what that's about ;) ).

LMAO! :lol: :lol:

bigarmzz 08-21-2006 03:13 PM

wow man....this has my nomination as "the truck", not truck of the year, but "the truck":metal:

i'd say nice job ken, but i'm sure your tired of hearing that by now:lol:

boxrodz 08-21-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 1785942)

:hm:
It should be ok. I hear he doesn't get it above 2000 rpms anyway. ;)

Jebb1978 08-22-2006 10:34 AM

Ken, you are still my hero. Like I mentioned a while back, there is a bit of purest in me and I was afraid when you started tearing down such a beauty. You have shown that you have a great eye for detail and impeccable taste. I love the final product! You are the undisputed king of the square bodies!

454HO 08-22-2006 11:54 AM

Wow Ken, the truck looks awesome. I would love to see it in person. When are you going to have it out for another public appearance?

N2TRUX 08-25-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI
It sounds sweet...... until that nasty miss @ 7Krpm.....

Actually it's about 7200 but then it levels out from there...;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigarmzz
i'd say nice job ken, but i'm sure your tired of hearing that by now

No, not really. Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebb1978
Ken, you are still my hero...... You are the undisputed king of the square bodies!

I would have to say that Jason Hill is truly the king of square bodies. I'll take the compliment anyway...:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 454HO
Wow Ken, the truck looks awesome. I would love to see it in person. When are you going to have it out for another public appearance?

Thanks Greg. I may get it out this weekend if the weather allows

smashingchuck 08-29-2006 10:27 PM

I don't think I've ever taken the opportunity to congradulate you on the impecable job you've done. Really a class act. I know it's the exact opposite of what I'm working on, but I love it just the same. The new driveline install is right on que with what you previosly did with the suspension. Am I sensing a silver interior upgrade sometime soon? I know who could use some red interior parts...

N2TRUX 08-30-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck;
I don't think I've ever taken the opportunity to congratulate you on the impeccable job you've done. Really a class act. I know it's the exact opposite of what I'm working on, but I love it just the same. The new driveline install is right on que with what you previously did with the suspension. Am I sensing a silver interior upgrade sometime soon? I know who could use some red interior parts...

Ironically this truck is pretty opposite of what I would normally build too. I'm definitely a custom guy at heart.

As far as interior changes, don't expect to see a different color in there. I would love to add a pair of the factory low-back buckets though. Unfortunately that would prohibit my ability to carry two passengers. When I mentioned this to my family, my daughter "where will Mom ride"? Mom didn't find that very amusing, so I have to come up with a plan so we will all fit with buckets.

Thanks for the compliments...:)

bodydropped 08-30-2006 02:08 PM

ur truck is badazz my dad even said ur car was badazz but this truck tops that

1987 Shortwide 08-30-2006 10:11 PM

Well, I'll chime in here and say that if my truck comes out looking HALF as good as that thing, I'll be happier than a pig in #$&@. My hat's off to you sir, i think you've got the perfect combination of new and old to set the truck off.

Maybe when I get mine finished up I'll have to drag her to TX for a summer show and we can be the good (my white truck) and the evil (your black truck) together. :gi:

79Silv4x4 08-30-2006 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 1703296)
The screws in the top of the cover still looked like beady little eyes so the decision was made to remove them. Here's anther view before the screws were removed.

The new version looks way better. How is it mounted now--just curious. . .

BTW, your truck rocks! My first truck was a '77 Scottsdale--sure brings back memories. . .

69face 08-31-2006 04:39 AM

I just want to thank you for giving me something to model my life after(perfection) jk, but i really have a picture of your truck inside my truck as motivation i'll post the picture of your truck inside of my garage lol take care!

SCOTI 08-31-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 1793596)
As far as interior changes, don't expect to see a different color in there. I would love to add a pair of the factory low-back buckets though. Unfortunately that would prohibit my ability to carry two passengers. When I mentioned this to my family, my daughter said "where will Mom ride?". Mom didn't find that very amusing, so I have to come up with a plan so we will all fit with buckets.....

Ken, Ken..... Ken . . ..... The answer is so obvious.

Let the wife pilot the 77 w/your daughter as co-pilot (in those comfy buckets) while you follow closely behind in your 67 (or was that a 68) short fleet that's bagged, on 20's, w/the cool CST package with buckets . . .......

Now each of you has their own bucket seat. Glad to be of help :lol: .